Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuzzy TV

• 18-05-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have an MPEG 4 TV and a FTA box.

Recently, the Irish channels on the TV have all become fuzzy and it the FTA channels that work off the box have been perfect.

So I've been putting this down to an aerial issue. Aerial is in the attic and couldn't understand why that would be the problem either! I don't really watch the Irish channels anyway - however yesterday, I went to turn on the TV and I couldn't get it to start (it would always start with me pressing a number on the remote - so it would ''capture'' an Irish channel - which would always take awhile to pick up on because of the ''interference''!)...it did not initiate at all.

So now..i'm beginning to think that maybe it's the TV that is the problem!! Although once I get it started and the FTA channels are on ..it's absolutely perfect!!

Can someone please enlighten me to what may the problem be...or do I actually need to get a new tele (my current TV is only about 4 years old!).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Poor Saorview reception wouldn't give fuzzy channels to begin with. It sounds like a television problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Poor Saorview reception wouldn't give fuzzy channels to begin with. It sounds like a television problem.

Oooh great! looks like I will need to invest in a new tele :( that is a bummer tho!!! because I barely use it and it works perfect otherwise!! :rolleyes::(

It might not need a new television. I am sure someone that is more knowledgeable might be able to offer advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

If it was an issue with the TV the Freesat channels would also be fuzzy. Also define your idea of fuzzy? Is it a constant thing or is the picture freezing intermittently?

Considering the television wont turn on now how could it not be a television problem?

• Advertisement

obezyana wrote: »
    If it was an issue with the TV the Freesat channels would also be fuzzy. Also define your idea of fuzzy? Is it a constant thing or is the picture freezing intermittently?

Yes...fuzzy as in scrambled Irish channels....but as the FTA Channels operate from the FTA box they are not scrambled. But now my TV won't initiate at all....I'll try it again later ...I just need to differentiate between the TV or Saorview being the issue....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Yes...fuzzy as in scrambled Irish channels....but as the FTA Channels operate from the FTA box they are not scrambled. But now my TV won't initiate at all....I'll try it again later ...I just need to differentiate between the TV or Saorview being the issue....
    Bit of a no brainer really. If the tv doesnt turn on then it has nothing to do with aerial or dish cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

OK so I'm confused here. Is the TV coming on intermittently or is it gone completely and is the TV receiving the Saorview signal directly via its own built in tuner or is there a Saorview box in the equation? If the TV is no longer coming on then yes your TV is on the blink, if its coming on but the picture is bad then check all cables and the aerial and see if anything is loose etc.

Try replacing the TV first and go from there. It would be strange for a TV only 4yrs old to go on the blink so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

But now my TV won't initiate at all....

As far as this 'non initiation' is concerned, I assume you've ruled out silly things, say like the remote control needing new batteries?

muffler wrote: »
    Bit of a no brainer really. If the tv doesnt turn on then it has nothing to do with aerial or dish cables.

Yes, exactly my sentiment!!! But, it's only recently and only one occasion that the TV failed to start! Previously it has always started but with pixelated Irish channels, but FTA channels are perfect....hence why I was thinking maybe it was an aerial issue! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thurston? wrote: »
    As far as this 'non initiation' is concerned, I assume you've ruled out silly things, say like the remote control needing new batteries?

Yes, I have! ;)

obezyana wrote: »
    OK so I'm confused here. Is the TV coming on intermittently or is it gone completely and is the TV receiving the Saorview signal directly via its own built in tuner or is there a Saorview box in the equation? If the TV is no longer coming on then yes your TV is on the blink, if its coming on but the picture is bad then check all cables and the aerial and see if anything is loose etc.

Try replacing the TV first and go from there. It would be strange for a TV only 4yrs old to go on the blink so quickly.

Ok, let me explain..

TV has only ever not started once - previously I have had pixelated Irish channels (scrambled!) however at the same instance I have perfect FTA channels. Saorview is built in (MPEG 4 TV) no Saorview box.

I have checked all cables....unplugged them and plugged them all back in properly.

I think it's a TV problem, but why is it only affecting the Irish channels and not FTA channels....the fact that the TV didn't start the other day has given me more confidence to say that it is indeed the TV..which is a complete bummer because I don't really want to invest in a new television especially as it's not that old and only used 1/2hrs on the weekdays!! :(

A pixelated picture on Saorview is not fuzzy or scrambled. It is poor reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

but why is it only affecting the Irish channels and not FTA channels
    FTA channels are received via satellite dish. Unless you are a Sky subscriber Saorview / Irish channels are received via a roof top / attic aerial or if you are in an area that is close to the transmitter then an indoor aerial may well work.

Do you have an aerial input?

A pixelated picture on Saorview is not fuzzy or scrambled. It is poor reception.
    I live in an elevated area...one of the highest points in Cork City (near Airport) - Spur Hill is across the fields, where there is an RTE Transmitter! I've ruled out poor reception :rolleyes:

... it's only recently and only one occasion that the TV failed to start! Previously it has always started but with pixelated Irish channels, but FTA channels are perfect....hence why I was thinking maybe it was an aerial issue!

The Saorview problem probably has nothing to do with the TV being hard to switch on.

You had an earlier thread on signal problems, with replies suggesting that signal overload could be a concern. Did you connect up the attic aerial yourself?

muffler wrote: »
    FTA channels are received via satellite dish. Unless you are a Sky subscriber Saorview / Irish channels are received via a roof top / attic aerial or if you are in an area that is close to the transmitter then an indoor aerial may well work.

Do you have an aerial input?

Yes that is all correct what you said, the FTA is via satellite dish and Irish channels are via attic aerial....I live near Spur Hill transmitter in Cork - so there shouldn't be any problems with signal strengths etc.

Sorry I don't understand what you refer to as an ''aerial input''? I've some ''rabbit ears'' attached to the tv all the time.

If the 'rabbit ears' are still actually plugged into the TV's aerial socket, then you're (obviously) not receiving Saorview 'via attic aerial'.

I live in an elevated area...one of the highest points in Cork City (near Airport) - Spur Hill is across the fields, where there is an RTE Transmitter! I've ruled out poor reception :rolleyes:

Poor reception doesn't just mean weak signal. It can also mean too much but you have it all covered so I wish you good luck.

If the 'rabbit ears' are still actually plugged into the TV's aerial socket, then you're (obviously) not receiving Saorview 'via attic aerial'.

So you think perhaps the aerial attic has something to do with the pixelated Irish channels?

Maybe I should look into getting subscribed to Sky or UPC! :rolleyes: :(

• Advertisement

The Saorview problem probably has nothing to do with the TV being hard to switch on.

You had an earlier thread on signal problems, with replies suggesting that signal overload could be a concern. Did you connect up the attic aerial yourself?

Oh yes..i did actually....I don't that was for a different issue (because at one stage my FTA dish gave trouble - in which case a part had to be replaced)...I totally forgot that the Irish channels were giving issues then too....I'm scatty when it comes to these things :o I think that problem did actually fix itself in the end! :confused:...but now it's gone back that way....so maybe ''overloading'' is the issue....ugh...all this TV jargon is giving me a headache! :o:(

So you think perhaps the aerial attic has something to do with the pixelated Irish channels?

Is the cable from it actually plugged into the TV's aerial socket? Obviously it won't have any bearing on the problem if it isn't even connected to the TV.

Is the cable from it actually plugged into the TV's aerial socket? Obviously it won't have any bearing on the problem if it isn't even connected to the TV.

Erm....I actually don't believe there is any cable from the attic coming in to the TV. I've just the ''rabbit ears'' attached to the back of the tele...

The 'rabbit ears' aerial is receiving Saorview direct from Spur Hill. Maybe you thought it was like a wifi aerial receiving signals from the attic, with the attic aerial getting Spur Hill?

Anyhow, the attic aerial, if you want to use it, needs to be connected to the TV with a coaxial cable. Is there not even a TV aerial wall socket near the TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Erm....I actually don't believe there is any cable from the attic coming in to the TV. I've just the ''rabbit ears'' attached to the back of the tele...

Why are you using rabbit ears if you have a tv connection in the wall???

The 'rabbit ears' aerial is receiving Saorview direct from Spur Hill. Maybe you thought it was like a wifi aerial receiving signals from the attic, with the attic aerial getting Spur Hill?

Anyhow, the attic aerial, if you want to use it, needs to be connected to the TV with a coaxial cable. Is there not even a TV aerial wall socket near the TV?

Erm....I don't know..I've jus always had the ''rabbit ears'' plugged into the back of the tv....I know that if I didn't have it plugged in then I would have no irish channels...:confused:

Anyways...regardless of all that..i'm beginning to believe that the root of the problem is indeed the TV :(...when I turn on the tv via wall socket the ''blue light'' inside the back of the tv...flickers on and then off again! it should remain on for the tv to start! So it looks like there is something faulty within the tv! But then it does start ..eventually!!! I'll just have to get it looked at or replaced even :(

aido79 wrote: »
    Why are you using rabbit ears if you have a tv connection in the wall???

I have no idea...the TV is not connection to the attic aerial!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I have no idea...the TV is not connection to the attic aerial!

Why don't you connect it to it? It should be a massive improvement over rabbit ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

So called rabbits ears are VHF aerials for DAB and FM radio and are not suitable for Saorview.

• Advertisement
Advertisement