Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTA boxes with the functionality to record in advance?

• 15-05-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Are there any FTA boxes out there that have set to record in advance functionality? Or series record even? (that might be stretching it!)

Power City told me that there are not and that you can only set it to record in realtime and even then, many boxes are restricted in that while recording, you will be unable to watch any other channels (which kinda defeats the purpose!!... but researching online, I've found bits and pieces of info that contradict that.

Basically, I have both a terrestrial aerial and a Sky satellite connection coming into the apartment. My tv is saorview compatible. So what then are my best options for buying a FTA box (if that's what they're called!), when it comes to setting to record programs days in advance (which is the priority), recording one channel while watching another (not really a priority), recording multiple programs at a time (again, not quite a priority) and pause/rewind functionality (which I think simply isn't possible without a subscription?).

Any suggestions or any bit of info about any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Are there any FTA boxes out there that have set to record in advance functionality? Or series record even? (that might be stretching it!)

Power City told me that there are not and that you can only set it to record in realtime and even then, many boxes are restricted in that while recording, you will be unable to watch any other channels (which kinda defeats the purpose!!... but researching online, I've found bits and pieces of info that contradict that.

Basically, I have both a terrestrial aerial and a Sky satellite connection coming into the apartment. My tv is saorview compatible. So what then are my best options for buying a FTA box (if that's what they're called!), when it comes to setting to record programs days in advance (which is the priority), recording one channel while watching another (not really a priority), recording multiple programs at a time (again, not quite a priority) and pause/rewind functionality (which I think simply isn't possible without a subscription?).

Any suggestions or any bit of info about any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

Check out Freesat+ box. I have a Humax branded one for a number of years. It does series link well and you can select a programme from the guide for recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

There are a number of Linux based receivers that will tick all of your boxes and more.

As a starting point have a look at http://www.freetv.ie/satellite/receivers/linux.html

These boxes allow you to watch terrestrial and satellite FTA channels with one single guide. They get the sat guide info via plugins. You can set auto timers which are similar to series link.

The basic linux receivers have one sat and one terrestrial tuner. You can use one tuner for recording while watching the other. More expensive tuners have dual sat tuners giving more flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Almost any linux based combo box such as the Amiko Alien2 or edision os3 will do all sorts of advanced recording such as series linking or even search by keyword. Triple tuner boxes allow you to record and watch 3 different sources at once (2xsat, 1xterrestrail) and pause/rewind live and much much more.
    Linux based boxes have a steep learning curve if you are not too techie, but there is loads of support available here. More basic boxes (ferguson, walker etc) may be simpler but don't offer the same flexibility.
    Since you have a Saorview Tv, you could also consider a FreeSat branded box for UK only channels which are more or less plug and play but dont have irish channels.

EDIT: Snap ShaneOC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kalamityjim

Cheers lads, but will a freesat box work off the Sky satellite? The only satellite hooked up to the apartment building is a Sky satellite on the roof and we are not allowed install or put up our own individual ones. I saw somewhere online that Freesat needs to connect to a BBC/ITV patented dish... so will freesat boxes actually work if I just connect them to the cable in my apartment that links to the Sky satellite?

• Advertisement

Almost any linux based combo box such as the Amiko Alien2 or edision os3 will do all sorts of advanced recording such as series linking or even search by keyword. Triple tuner boxes allow you to record and watch 3 different sources at once (2xsat, 1xterrestrail) and pause/rewind live and much much more.
    Linux based boxes have a steep learning curve if you are not too techie, but there is loads of support available here. More basic boxes (ferguson, walker etc) may be simpler but don't offer the same flexibility.
    Since you have a Saorview Tv, you could also consider a FreeSat branded box for UK only channels which are more or less plug and play but dont have irish channels.

EDIT: Snap ShaneOC :)

Never thought of that actually - a freesat box would allow me to record only the freesat channels and not the saorview channels, yeah? So if I wanted to record UFC on 3e for example, I'd need a combo box rather than a freesat box?

You will need a combo to record irish tv unless your tv itself has a recording facility. Usually a tv will only record what you are watching. FreeSat/Sky/FTA combo boxes all use the same satellite signals.

Thanks Gerry.
    Are all combo boxes linux-based then?
    I know my way around technology, software more than hardware, but is it not a bad sign when there is a need for threads on this website, that cater specifically for attending to the issues and confusion around these linux-based boxes?!

What exactly is it I should be searching for on amazon/argos/freetv?
    'satellite combo box' or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭khumbu

Walker 6500TTR will record with series link terrestrial (RTE, TV3, TG4 & 3e etc) only.

Freesat+ will record with series link freesat satellite channels only.

A combo is needed to record terrestrial & satellite TV. No series link or epg (for satellite channels) except on linux models.

The more basic boxes such as the Walker or Ferguson models tend to have custom locked-down software with limited functions. More advanced boxes like the Amiko Alien 2 or Edision OS3 can be run with Linux software called Enigma2. It comes in various flavours from different developer groups. The beauty (and headache) is it is fully customisable and also very addictive if you like your gadgets ;)
    The AA2 actual has a dual-boot facility so you can use the factory supplied "Spark" software or easily switch to the better Enigma2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The more basic boxes such as the Walker or Ferguson models tend to have custom locked-down software with limited functions. More advanced boxes like the Amiko Alien 2 or Edision OS3 can be run with Linux software called Enigma2. It comes in various flavours from different developer groups. The beauty (and headache) is it is fully customisable and also very addictive if you like your gadgets ;)
    The AA2 actual has a dual-boot facility so you can use the factory supplied "Spark" software or easily switch to the better Enigma2.

I don'y know about the Walker, but you can get firmware for some of the Fergusons. Google is your friend;).

Advertisement