Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,011 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

have the 320gb, never had any bother with it.

Bit ugly though.

It won't use your Sky card, its a Freesat box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

NIMAN wrote: »
    have the 320gb, never had any bother with it.

Bit ugly though.

It won't use your Sky card, its a Freesat box.

:o Thanks! Not tech savvy at all. Is it easy to hook up? Could I do it myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

You won't get the Irish channels from it (assuming you're interested), at least not hooked up to a dish installed for Sky.

Saorview terrestrial is the way to go there, maybe your TV works with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

if you've had sky previously i.e. your dish and cables are in place , then its very easy to set up.

you will only get uk tv stations and no irish stations.

donegal. wrote: »
    if you've had sky previously i.e. your dish and cables are in place , then its very easy to set up.

you will only get uk tv stations and no irish stations.

That's great. I'll get the same freesat stations as if I had a UK Sky card inserted in my Sky box so? That'll do me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'll get the same freesat stations as if I had a UK Sky card inserted in my Sky box so? That'll do me!

List of channels on Freesat - http://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Freesat_(UK)

Two cables from the dish required for recording. During installation it simply requires a UK postcode which sets the UK regional channels received i.e. a NI postcode gives you BBC NI/UTV, a London postcode gives you BBC London/ITV London etc.

How many cables you got coming in from your dish? 1 or 2?

If you had sky + then you will have 2, just a matter of plugging these in and bob's your uncle.

if you do want irish stations then this is not a good box to buy.

donegal. wrote: »
    if you do want irish stations then this is not a good box to buy.

It's a Freesat box, the Irish channels aren't on Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 someoneknew16

It will pick up Astra 2A which the sky dish was set up for so no need to change that just install the box. Run an Aeriel into the attic or use an indoor one in addition to the dish to get RTE's TV3 etc...

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's a Freesat box, the Irish channels aren't on Freesat.

that was my point.

Does anyone use this box?

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=554

Slightly dearer but better specs.

That's a terrestrial receiver.

Humax satellite receivers are in the Freesat section of products. They don't make combi satellite/terrestrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Does anyone use this box?

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=554

Slightly dearer but better specs.

That's a UK Freeview, not Freesat box. No use here in Ireland for watching UK channels.

No use here in Ireland for watching UK channels.

Some places in ROI have a perfectly usable Freeview signal, & the north is physically Ireland, if not politically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

There's a thread about them in the terrestrial forum and other combo boxes.

What about this one? Seems to combine the best of best worlds?

'Combines the basics of both worlds' would be closer to the truth: only now-&-next EPG for satellite channels, no series linking, limited record/watch flexibility. Not saying that's inherently bad but maybe if you're used to a Sky box, it would be a bit of a comedown.

Maybe your TV has a recording feature that could look after the terrestrial end, what's the make & model?

Thurston? wrote: »
    'Combines the basics of both worlds' would be closer to the truth: only now-&-next EPG for satellite channels, no series linking, limited record/watch flexibility. Not saying that's inherently bad but maybe if you're used to a Sky box, it would be a bit of a comedown.

Maybe your TV has a recording feature that could look after the terrestrial end, what's the make & model?

This one:
    http://www.philips.ie/c-p/42PDL7906H_12/designline-edge-smart-led-tv-with-ambilight-spectra-2-and-pixel-precise-hd/support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That TV is near enough top of the range. You could hook up a high capacity usb drive, or external hdd which will record your Saorview channels. The EPG features of that tv are for Saorview only, I suspect. You will have to get a Freesat + box to satisfy your satellite recording needs.

• Advertisement

That TV is near enough top of the range. You could hook up a high capacity usb drive, or external hdd which will record your Saorview channels. The EPG features of that tv are for Saorview only, I suspect. You will have to get a Freesat + box to satisfy your satellite recording needs.

Thanks. A friend is giving me a Northern Ireland Sky card so I can watch the Irish channels. I just need something simple I can record on like the sky box setup. Not tech savvy at all.

You won't get the Irish channels on a Sky box without a valid subscription. A card on its own is no use.

You can see the recording features the TV offers in the manual, under 'Use more of your TV'. This TV has a single terrestrial tuner only.

Thanks. A friend is giving me a Northern Ireland Sky card so I can watch the Irish channels. I just need something simple I can record on like the sky box setup. Not tech savvy at all.

Sky cards are linked to the box they are used in, so someone can't give you their card to use in another box (as far as I know).

I already have a UK Syk card that I bought on Adverts. It just changes the channels to the UK setup - 101 = BBC etc. Works fine.

It works fine for non-subscription channels. RTE, TV3, TG4 are subscription-only from the satellite your Sky dish is pointed at.

I've got a 320gb Sagem surplus to requirements if the OP is still thinking of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,312 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A friend is giving me a Northern Ireland Sky card so I can watch the Irish channels.
    I already have a UK Syk card that I bought on Adverts. It just changes the channels to the UK setup - 101 = BBC etc. Works fine.
    Neither the N.I. card or the UK card (I assume they are different) will allow you to receive / view any of the Irish channels as you have probably discovered by now. Im not sure why you have now stated that it "works fine"

Advertisement