Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

humax 1000s using vpn with iplayer etc??

Options
  • 07-05-2015 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi
    I just got my humax 1000s box, very happy with the uk service, has anyone had any success getting the freeplay and iplayer features working with a VPN?
    I have my VPN running on laptop connected to UK southampton but the box connected by ethernet cable doesnt recognise my connection.
    Any ideas or hints please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

This should work...

1. Sign up for a free DNS trial with a company such smartydns.
    2. Disable DHCP on your router.
    3. Reboot the Humax box and go into network settings, choose to manually setup the connection.
    4. Specify the DNS settings you get in the trial.
    5. Restart the Humax box and try the Catchup services to see if they work.
    6. Re-enable DHCP on your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dubatc2

thanks for the reply, will give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

This should work...

3. Reboot the Humax box and go into network settings, choose to manually setup the connection.

I got a Humax box today and tried above, but I cant seem to figure it out,

I got an IP address and 3 DNS from smartydns so loaded my cisco router page disabled DHPC,
    Factory default the Humax and manually set up connection>
    5 options appear ...
    ip address
    netmask
    gateway address
    primary dns
    secondarydns

Im unsure which numbers to enter and where?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

This should work...

does this actually work

I have a humax wifi in built model and the itv player is the only catch up I receive so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

ftakeith wrote: »
    does this actually work

I have a humax wifi in built model and the itv player is the only catch up I receive so far

The ITV player is not region locked like the BBC iplayer hence it works for you. To use the iplayer you need to do as described above. If you have a PS3 you only need to change the dns setting on it rather than your router.

• Advertisement

I was previously using a UPC Thompson TWG-870U router and was able to disable DHCP on it no problem. This allowed me to manually enter DNS details on the Humax 1000S.

The router was changed a couple of months ago to the UBEE EVW3226 model and now I don't seem to have the option to disable DHCP, so I can't manually enter the DNS server on my Humax box anymore :(

Can anyone help here please? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I was previously using a UPC Thompson TWG-870U router and was able to disable DHCP on it no problem. This allowed me to manually enter DNS details on the Humax 1000S.

The router was changed a couple of months ago to the UBEE EVW3226 model and now I don't seem to have the option to disable DHCP, so I can't manually enter the DNS server on my Humax box anymore :(

Can anyone help here please? Cheers

OK you can fix it but you'd need to borrow or get another router/modem. Do you still have the old one?

1st find out what IP the Humax is getting from the new router. Then connect up to the old router/borrowed one without DHCP running and put in an IP address that it had previously or is free on your network. I just put mine to 192.168.1.200 out of the way of any DHCP assigned devices. No need to put in a reservation either. Then plug back in to the existing router.

Cheers for that MBSnr :)

I'm with Virgin Media - Can anyone confirm if DHCP can be disabled on the UBEE model at all please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Cheers for that MBSnr :)

I'm with Virgin Media - Can anyone confirm if DHCP can be disabled on the UBEE model at all please?

I read on Google that it's user/user for standard login 192.168.x.x
    and
    username : admin
    password : admin

for admin... Unless VM change these from the defaults...

Did you try that?

Yes, I can logon to the router fine but there doesn't appear to be any option to disable DHCP :( Maybe VM have locked it down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi have Vodaphone modem, wondering if anyone has got the i player etc to work via VPN?,the, googled for ages,no accurate information anywhere,any advice would be V welcome, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Hi have Vodaphone modem, wondering if anyone has got the i player etc to work via VPN?,the, googled for ages,no accurate information anywhere,any advice would be V welcome, thanks.

Use this box it has dd-wrt pre installed and a load of other things.

You just plug it into your modem, configure the settings for your VPN and you'll have all the uk players.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AL7P1FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not much bigger than a match box

Dymo wrote: »
    Use this box it has dd-wrt pre installed and a load of other things.

You just plug it into your modem, configure the settings for your VPN and you'll have all the uk players.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AL7P1FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not much bigger than a match box

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has actually got BBC iplayer working on a Humax 1000s with this device attached to their Virgin UBEE router :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has actually got BBC iplayer working on a Humax 1000s with this device attached to their Virgin UBEE router :)

I have it on a Humax HDR-1100 but with the Vodafone router

Glad to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

This should work...

Tried this on Humax 1100S via a Vodafone router and worked perfectly. Thanks.

Ideally I'd like to setup for Northern Ireland but when I do that the ITV Hub is not available.....Does anyone know how to get ITV Hub going on Humax 1100S while still keeping an NI post code and NI channel lineup?

If not then if I set a London Postcode can I still watch/record BBC NI and UTV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dymo wrote: »

I have it on a Humax HDR-1100 but with the Vodafone router
    Have the same humax box,and Vodaphone router,,no joy,is it v hard to set up?tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just wondering if anyone has done this since with the humax and vodafone router?

Will the freesat only have the bbcs and itvs for the region you select?

Why is the itv player not available in Scotland by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Why is the itv player not available in Scotland by the way?

STV.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Will the freesat only have the bbcs and itvs for the region you select?

You get all the BBC regions, sd and hd,in 900's, only 1 ITV, CH4. Region.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    STV.

But there is no stv player in the play store.

Any idea how to set up a vpn on humax 1100s?

I need my modem on Irish ip to get Irish catchup tv but can I configure the freesat box some way to get the English players.

PM if necessary.

Thanks

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭eggerb

Do you have an old modem lying around that you could use as an access point (AP)? Use a LAN port on your existing modem and connect to the WAN port on the dedicated AP. Connect the Humax box to the LAN on the dedicated AP. Was going to give something like this a try myself.

eggerb wrote: »
    Do you have an old modem lying around that you could use as an access point (AP)? Use a LAN port on your existing modem and connect to the WAN port on the dedicated AP. Connect the Humax box to the LAN on the dedicated AP. Was going to give something like this a try myself.

I have an old vodafone one but am not sure if it is still working.

I need the networks to both be wireless.
    I can connect the boxes through a cable alright.

Dymo on the previous page put up a link for a small yellow box that you just connect to the modem and I think it creates its own vpn network.

I wonder do you then need to buy a vpn?

You might be able to use something like this adjacent to your modem to create a new wireless network that your box at the other room location can connect to (option 3 in the Amazon product description).

I'm assuming I will need some sort of vpn subscription off the likes of smartydns mentioned above. There's be a few sites doing comparisons such as eff.org or torrent freak if you were particularly looking for anonymity (probably not if you are just looking for a service to enable you to access UK play-back services). Personally, I would not use a free service that doesn't have some positive mention on one of those sites.

Some review sites (getting commissions for referrals can be assumed) list "best" vpn services for VPN - https://www.trusted-vpn.com/lp/top-10-vpn-providers-for-bbc/

Had a quick look at NordVPN. The support pages look good.

Watching the rugby on bbc alba at the moment.
    I see a red button link to change the audio.
    How do you change it?

When I click the red button it brings up different screens - one for the Ulster Dragons game and some other sports. Also an option to watch from beginning (but that needs connection to iplayer).

Thanks

Any updates on getting a vpn for iplayer etc?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement