Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rte1 hd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Stinicker wrote: »
    The right option would have been to put the soccer on RTE1 in SD and our national sport Hurling should have been given priority, a disgraceful and downright shameful decision by RTE.

National sport. Never so much as seen a hurl here in our part of the country.
    Could be worse. We had the match moved, never mind the channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Peter File wrote: »
    All you had to do was watch the game on saorview.

Not everyone has decent Saorview coverage
    I live in an area of wind turbine interference and for the last twelve months since the analogue switch-off I have been reliant on Sky but I cancelled it this week as my half price offer for the year ended and I'm not going to pay €35/month for to receive the Irish channels in just one room.

Last year in anticipation of the switchover I got a high gain aerial and spent €100 trying to get a stable Saorview picture but it is continuously disrupted by the Wind Farm and sometimes is totally unwatchable, basically if there is enough wind to fly a flag the turbines will be turning and I will have non-stop interference.

I then went down the Saorsat road wasting several hundred euro on a failure of a system. Saorsat has been nothing but a total failure as because where I live in Kerry I get gale-force winds year round and awful heavy rain and the Saorsat cuts out nearly as often as the Saorview with the Wind Farm interference.

My next door neighbour has the same issues and recently his chimney collapsed and he moved his aerial and has been getting improved Saorview signal. I am hopeful that there could be a solution to the Wind-Turbine interference as my neighbour seems to have fixed his problem but mine is still troublesome.

I have mountains on three sides of my house and the Wind Turbine farm lies direct in the path of the only Saorview signal from Mullaghanish, I am thinking if I can build or engineer some Aerial array that I may be able to capture enough signal to ensure interference free reception. I have 100% signal and only for the windturbines I could receive it on a coathanger as I am quite close to Mullaghanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The right option would have been to put the soccer on RTE1 in SD and our national sport Hurling should have been given priority, a disgraceful and downright shameful decision by RTE.

Right for who?
    The small minority who are unfortunate not to be able to recieve SaorView?

If it's a case you don't have SaorView coverage, then, and only then, is your beef with RTÉ (2RN).
    If it's a case your chosen pay TV operator doesn't carry RTÉ One HD, then your beef lies completely with said pay TV operator!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Holbrook

Kensington wrote: »
    If it's a case you don't have SaorView coverage, then, and only then, is your beef with RTÉ (2RN).

Or the windfarm operators ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Holbrook

^^^^^^ In the case of Stinicker. (I don't seem to be able to edit posts.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

The national team were playing - that's of interest to the whole country.

As opposed to the hurling - of interest to just two counties.

RTE Two is the football channel; RTE One takes any alternative sports coverage when football is on, this is (with very few exceptions) the way they usually do it.

And, as has been said, the objection here should focus solely on the fact RTE One is not in HD on all platforms not on what match was shown on what channel (because there'd be complaints either way and I'd wager many more for the football).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

radiowaves wrote: »

RTE Two is the football channel; RTE One takes any alternative sports coverage when football is on, this is (with very few exceptions) the way they usually do it.

And, as has been said, the objection here should focus solely on the fact RTE One is not in HD on all platforms not on what match was shown on what channel (because there'd be complaints either way and I'd wager many more for the football).

Thats neither here nor there, there are a lot of people and especially older generation would watch hurling over soccer.Its not just the 2 counties involved.The hurling would be showed in many countries across the world .

codie wrote: »
    Thats neither here nor there, there are a lot of people and especially older generation would watch hurling over soccer.Its not just the 2 counties involved.The hurling would be showed in many countries across the world .

And there are a lot of people who watch the national football team over hurling - also shown in many countries across the world!

Other than that I'm not sure what your point was.

But, as I said, this really shouldn't be a my favourite sporting event is better than yours debate; the complaints should solely focus on the absence of RTE One in HD on certain platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

And there are a lot of people who watch the national football team over hurling - also shown in many countries across the world!

Other than that I'm not sure what your point was.

But, as I said, this really shouldn't be a my favourite sporting event is better than yours debate; the complaints should solely focus on the absence of RTE One in HD on certain platforms.

OK, we all know RTÉ1 is not yet in HD on Saorsat.

When that is 'fixed' all should be good - regardless which game is shown on which channel!

In truth though, Saorsat is viewed by such a small audience it is no wonder it does not get 'the love' those viewers would like it to get.

A bit more lobbying is needed methinks ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

OK, we all know RTÉ1 is not yet in HD on Saorsat.

When that is 'fixed' all should be good - regardless which game is shown on which channel!

In truth though, Saorsat is viewed by such a small audience it is no wonder it does not get 'the love' those viewers would like it to get.

A bit more lobbying is needed methinks ....

tv3 and 3e are are also not on it despite getting tv licence funding.

irishgeo wrote: »
    tv3 and 3e are are also not on it despite getting tv licence funding.

If they wish to pay for being carried like everyone else then there is no reason for them not to be on it.

So it is a matter for TV3 .... and I see no commercial reason why they should.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The biggest reason here for why the scheduling was done the way it was, was that the football clashed with Six One, which apart from Christmas Day, is practically never moved. Therefore the hurling, which finished around 5:00pm, was moved to RTÉ One whilst the football went on RTÉ Two. It wasn't a case, as some people are saying, of giving football priority over hurling - it was a case of Six One getting priority over everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

icdg wrote: »
    The biggest reason here for why the scheduling was done the way it was, was that the football clashed with Six One, which apart from Christmas Day, is practically never moved. Therefore the hurling, which finished around 5:00pm, was moved to RTÉ One whilst the football went on RTÉ Two. It wasn't a case, as some people are saying, of giving football priority over hurling - it was a case of Six One getting priority over everything.

That makes so much sense compared to all the conspiracy theories

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

So, back on thread… The "my codger is bigger than yours" was very tedious.

I had heard of a buddy who rang sky to cancel with one of his complaints that RTE1 wasn't HD on their platform, and the call taker assured him it would be before years end. Any news on this fellas?

emmetlego wrote: »
    So, back on thread… The "my codger is bigger than yours" was very tedious.

I had heard of a buddy who rang sky to cancel with one of his complaints that RTE1 wasn't HD on their platform, and the call taker assured him it would be before years end. Any news on this fellas?

Years end? But which year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Years end? But which year?

I'd say we'd be lucky if by 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Can someone explain, how the new kid on the block, UTVI, is able to find a HD channel on Sky ( confirmed today by the tests now showing UTVI logo on separate HD and SD channels ) and RTE 1 still haven't managed to go HD on Sky. It's proves that the lack of space excuse , is a load of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

galtee boy wrote: »
    Can someone explain, how the new kid on the block, UTVI, is able to find a HD channel on Sky ( confirmed today by the tests now showing UTVI logo on separate HD and SD channels ) and RTE 1 still haven't managed to go HD on Sky. It's proves that the lack of space excuse , is a load of crap.

There's plenty of capacity if you're willing to pay for it.
    The issue is who pays for the additional capacity for RTÉ 1 HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I would think the arrival on SKY of UTVI in HD will put pressure on SKY/RTÉ to sort this out before long.

I see no reason whatsoever that RTE should pay Sky to carry any of its channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I see no reason whatsoever that RTE should pay Sky to carry any of its channels

What about viewers. People not watching RTE because it's not in HD so switch to other channels and leading to less viewing figures and advertising revenues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's proves that the lack of space excuse , is a load of crap.

I don't think anyone believed that to begin with.

murpho999 wrote: »
    What about viewers. People not watching RTE because it's not in HD so switch to other channels and leading to less viewing figures and advertising revenues?

RTÉ One's ratings suggest that's not an issue.

murpho999 wrote: »

What about them?

RTE 1 HD is as available to them as it is to me so if they want it they can get it without any extra payments to Sky or others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

At the moment I mostly watch RTE One programmes on Saorview. I seldom use the Sky+ box to record RTE One programmes. I use a Saorview box and my main TV set with USB keys plugged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

HD aside, perhaps its time to raise a complaint regarding the "softness" of the image on the SD mpeg 2 version of RTE One - it looks awful - almost as bad as watching it over an ISDN connection!

When comparing just the SD variants there is a huge disparity between the Irish SD variants and the UK regional variants.

Sky one Irish SD is desperate quality compared with Sky one UK SD.

Similarly with Irish variants of Comedy SD, MTV SD, Sky News SD, Universal SD etc.

The nusiance about this is that the Irish SD variants won't swap places on the epg with the current HD variants because advertisers on the Irish SD version would loose out!!

I am almost ready to make a complaint to ofcom about it!

If you compare UTV SD to UTV HD - there is very little noticeable difference between the two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is rte 1080p full HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

1080i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and whats the difference to a layman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Sky only do max 1080i ...1080p is bluray quality..

• Advertisement

Its very simple RTE is on transponder 10744.00 H which sky pays for in order to have RTE on Sky. Its the deal from the start. This transponder is now full and doesnt have room for rte1 HD. RTE need to rent another transponder to put RTE1 HD on Sky but i bet sky wont pay for it and rte dont want to either.

UTV Ireland is not going on the RTE frequency as its going on to separate ones. So its nothing to do with rte or sky deal. They are renting their own room or using an existing ITV transponder.

UTV Ireland SD and HD are on the following frequency.

12.188 H, 27.500, 2/3.

"4012"....Now showing "Programme not Available" message and with EPG data for 'UTV Ireland'.

12.012 V, DVB-S2, 29.500, 3/4.

"4037"....Now showing "Coming 1st January 2015" screen and with EPG data for 'UTV Ireland HD'.

I hope that clears it up.

The transponder Sky pay Astra for on behalf of RTE is full not the whole satellite. So someone is going to have to fork out the rental to astra for a new transponder to put RTE 1 HD on and no one wants to do it.

The transponder Sky pay Astra for on behalf of RTE is full not the whole satellite. So someone is going to have to fork out the rental to astra for a new transponder to put RTE 1 HD on and no one wants to do it.

It is up to Sky customers to lobby Sky to do this if they want it.

RTE have no direct connection with anything on the Astra Sat and thus no interest in paying for Sky customers to receive RTE 1 HD .... and correctly so IMO.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Its very simple RTE is on transponder 10744.00 H which sky pays for in order to have RTE on Sky. Its the deal from the start. This transponder is now full and doesnt have room for rte1 HD. RTE need to rent another transponder to put RTE1 HD on Sky but i bet sky wont pay for it and rte dont want to either.

UTV Ireland is not going on the RTE frequency as its going on to separate ones. So its nothing to do with rte or sky deal. They are renting their own room or using an existing ITV transponder.

UTV Ireland SD and HD are on the following frequency.

12.188 H, 27.500, 2/3.

"4012"....Now showing "Programme not Available" message and with EPG data for 'UTV Ireland'.

12.012 V, DVB-S2, 29.500, 3/4.

"4037"....Now showing "Coming 1st January 2015" screen and with EPG data for 'UTV Ireland HD'.

I hope that clears it up.

Well, could RTE not make one of their channels available via the red button, in order to open up a space, or does it not work that way? I did a few scans using 'king of sat' etc and found a channel designated as RTE Oireachtas TV etc. Surely one of these could be scrapped and/or made available online only??

Well, could RTE not make one of their channels available via the red button, in order to open up a space, or does it not work that way? I did a few scans using 'king of sat' etc and found a channel designated as RTE Oireachtas TV etc. Surely one of these could be scrapped and/or made available online only??

A "red button" channel takes up the same space as a channel that is available on the EPG.

does it not work that way? I did a few scans using 'king of sat' etc and found a channel designated as RTE Oireachtas TV etc. Surely one of these could be scrapped and/or made available online only??

Why scrap it? Because you don't watch it?

If you are that desparate for RTÉ One HD it is freely available via other means.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Why scrap it? Because you don't watch it?

If you are that desparate for RTÉ One HD it is freely available via other means.

Don't be a smart ass. Where did I say I was desperate?

I'd like a full service for my buck. That's all. What would the viewing figures for oireachtas TV be? Compare that to RTE HD if it went live?

No brainer.

It is not RTE making those channels available on the Astra Satellite, it is Sky ..... so it is Sky who needs to fix it for you.

It is not RTE making those channels available on the Astra Satellite, it is Sky ..... so it is Sky who needs to fix it for you.

That's not entirely true. It's been mentioned plenty of times before that it's between both Sky and RTE to sort. They have an existing agreement to carry the current channels, but have no capacity to include others. RTE can pay of course, but they want to expand the current agreement with Sky instead. Sky seem to be having none of it.

Originally Posted by Johnboy1951
    JDxtra wrote: »
    That's not entirely true. It's been mentioned plenty of times before that it's between both Sky and RTE to sort. They have an existing agreement to carry the current channels, but have no capacity to include others. RTE can pay of course, but they want to expand the current agreement with Sky instead. Sky seem to be having none of it.

As I understand it, and am open to correction ......

there is an agreement between Sky & RTE to carry RTE channels on the Sky platform. This is advantageous to Sky and I believe does not cost RTE.

RTE have no other connection with the Astra Satellite except for this indirect connection.
    Neither have they any interest in paying for a slot or slots on Astra.

If Sky wishes to carry the RTE 1 HD channel then it is up to Sky to agree with RTE to do so (if not already in the present agreement), and up to Sky to make or find space for it on their platform.

Sky had no problem finding space for UTV Ireland, albeit on a different transponder .... but I expect UTV are paying for the privilege of being on the Sky EPG.

So, yes, it is up to Sky what they wish to have on their platform.

• Advertisement

Don't be a smart ass. Where did I say I was desperate?

I'd like a full service for my buck. That's all. What would the viewing figures for oireachtas TV be? Compare that to RTE HD if it went live?

No brainer.

How am I being a smart ass? If your promoting the idea of getting rid of another channel so one that is freely available terrestrially can be shown instead isn't desparately wanting a service then what is?

If you want full service for your buck then it is Sky that needs to act. Not RTÉ.

Other people would like to see what's going on in the Dail everyday. Why should they be left out all because you cannot be arsed to stick up an aerial for RTÉ One in HD.

A bit of cop on would be useful.

How am I being a smart ass? If your promoting the idea of getting rid of another channel so one that is freely available terrestrially can be shown instead isn't desparately wanting a service then what is?

If you want full service for your buck then it is Sky that needs to act. Not RTÉ.

Other people would like to see what's going on in the Dail everyday. Why should they be left out all because you cannot be arsed to stick up an aerial for RTÉ One in HD.

A bit of cop on would be useful.

Smart ass again. Just to join in my desperation, as you called it.

And avoid my question why don't you. The bit I've put in italics, how many do you think? It's TV, it's meant to serve the public, not a handful of bored Political students.

You obviously can't have a reasoned debate without resorting to insult, so I'm out of here. You'll be talking to yourself!

Either party can make it happen - Sky or RTE. It's just a question of who gives in first and pays.

where is mailbag when you need it.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Either party can make it happen - Sky or RTE. It's just a question of who gives in first and pays.

I guess the point is one party would want to 'need' it to pay ... and from what I have read RTE has no interest in a presence of their own on the Astra Sat ...... else why Saorsat? ..... so it is down to how much Sky wants it I guess. ;)

Smart ass again. Just to join in my desperation, as you called it.

And avoid my question why don't you. The bit I've put in italics, how many do you think? It's TV, it's meant to serve the public, not a handful of bored Political students.

You obviously can't have a reasoned debate without resorting to insult, so I'm out of here. You'll be talking to yourself!

I didn't insult you at all. Some people.

The audiece will be small. That's obvious. But RTÉ One is already there so nobody is being deprived of RTÉ One programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

But RTÉ One is already there so nobody is being deprived of RTÉ One programming.

We are deprived of a high res version of rte1...and it is not entirely free to get it via other means.. aerial needs to be put up... cable run and settop box got then installation of same...whereas we already pay for HD channels via Sky so why not get rte1HD on the Sky platform..

Then there are a few people, - Probably the same amt of people that what that Dail channel, - who cannot get a full signal via saorview...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

RTE saw a large decline in its advertising revenue between 1997 and 2003.

UK channels were able to launch cheap variants with advertising targeted at the Irish market.

Sky had developed one of the best program guides ever, people would not go back to watching poor quality analogue signals and many households removed cumbersome antennas in favour of mini dishes when the BBC & ITV going Free to air.

RTE's audience was ageing rapidly and advertisers wanted access to the their key demographic audiences, 16 - 30 year olds with cash in their pockets!

The tables have turned, Sky can easily work out the benefits of having an HD channel on its platform by looking at the ratings statistics (those boxes send more info than you think down the telephone/broadband line)

Its RTE that needs to work out a deal with sky to arrange carriage not the other way around!

The statement that they need to lease another transponder is rubbish, satellite channels don't occupy hole transponders anymore, not since the analogue days!

They may need to lease part of a new transponder to get enough bandwidth but that's about it!

Perhaps they could dump a few of the radio stations, to deliver a better quality TV service if they don't want to lease more bandwidth, I doubt to many people with miss the bulk of the radio stations from the EPG.

They could use some of the gains in advertising revenue to pay for the increase bandwidth but this level of compression has to stop!

The picture quality on RTE/ TV3 / 3e looks more like the old American 420p standard!

Andy454 wrote: »

Its RTE that needs to work out a deal with sky to arrange carriage not the other way around!

The statement that they need to lease another transponder is rubbish, satellite channels don't occupy hole transponders anymore, not since the analogue days!

Another?

RTE do not lease any space on Astra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

If sky was regulated as is normal for a TV channel in any other country then a line of legislation is all it would take to force them to carry whatever channels free of charge as was deemed in the public interest. But unfortunately this is Ireland.......

basill wrote: »
    If sky was regulated as is normal for a TV channel in any other country then a line of legislation is all it would take to force them to carry whatever channels free of charge as was deemed in the public interest. But unfortunately this is Ireland.......

You cant blame Sky,

If RTE wanted to carry a free HD channel on SKY they could, but RTE dont want to pay the extra charges to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement