Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I connect to Setanta without subscribing to Sky/UPC/Eircom?

• 13-05-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Setanta have told me that I do not have to be a Sky customer to be able to subscribe to Setanta Ireland but I do need to have a satellite dish, a Sky box and a Sky viewing card.
    The apartment block I'm moving into has a Sky dish on the roof, so that's one box ticked. To tick the second box, it seems I could pick up a second hand Sky box somewhere, from a friend or online? But for me to have a Sky viewing card, would I not need to be a Sky customer for at least a year? And even then, once I cancelled my subscription after the year, would the viewing card not then be also cancelled and therefore not work?

Are there any freeview cards that I can get from Sky that would do the job so that I can subscribe to Setanta while sticking with just the basic saorview/freeview? Or would I need to have been a Sky customer to avail of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres plenty of unused Sky boxes with viewing card in the box around.

Ask any friends or family do they have any unused box with viewing card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No, you dont have to be a Sky subscriber to sign up to Setanta. What they have told you is spot on.

You can buy a box and card on Adverts.ie or Ebay or as stated above ask around family and friends. You can also ask Setanta to provide you with a card under the "BAI sound & vision scheme"

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kalamityjim

Would the Sky box allow me to record free-to-air channels/Setanta or must I be a Sky customer to have that privilege?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would the Sky box allow me to record free-to-air channels/Setanta or must I be a Sky customer to have that privilege?
    You normally have to be a Sky subscriber in order to use the recording function of the box.

If you get a Sky+ box you can look up Adverts or Ebay for cards that will allow you to record the FTA channels. They will probably cost in or around €50 but bear in mind there's no guarantee as to how long they will work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kalamityjim

Cheers for all the help lads!
    UFC coverage is really the only reason I want to subscribe to Setanta but what I might just do is use a combination of the 3e deferred coverage and the online UFC Fight Pass, meaning I might not bother subscribing to Sky TV after all.
    ...which brings me to deciding on an FTA box! Will stick that in a new thread, any help or suggestions welcome!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95489302#post95489302

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

If you are still looking for Setanta you can pick up a hd box even a multiroom basic box would do for less than 30 euro. A card e is easily picked up Setanta will even send you one if you ask them.

Advertisement