Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A5 3.0TDI owners

Options
  • 29-08-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Good evening all,
    Can any of the A5 owners for the above model tell me what are the running costs like for this car including MPG on long commutes and servicing prices?

Would a 2.0TDI owner get a shock if upgrading to its bigger brother in relation to running costs?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randel

I have a A5 3.0 TDI Quattro since Jan 08. Unfortunately bought it before the road tax changes so it costs me over 1k a year to tax. Have put up over 200000km of mainly motorway driving since new. I get it serviced every 30000km at a main dealer. Servicing costs have dropped recently, think I paid about 200 euro the last time. I change the 19 inch tyres every 50000 km - costs about 900 euro.
    Only major problems I had with it was one window regulator failed recently, I replaced it myself at quarter the price I was quoted at the dealership. The throttle valve was also recently replaced for about 500 euro.
    With regard to fuel consumption, the display on the car is telling me 7.1 litres per 100km which I think works out about 39.8mpg.
    The car is lovely to drive, there is serious power on tap especially in the low revs.
    One big downside is resale value though, not a big market out there for large engined cars with high mileage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If the CO2 tax is lower you can change over to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suprab1

EPM wrote: »
    If the CO2 tax is lower you can change over to it...

Are you sure? When this tax first came about i thought i heard this on the radio. I was asking a friend who works in the tax office though and she said this can't be done.

does anyone know this for sure as i wouldn't mind a Lexus is220d but there is a big jump between 2006-2008 prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

On cars registered between Jan 1st - June 30th 2008 you have a choice of tax system.

On cars registered between Jan 1st - June 30th 2008 you have a choice of tax system.

Ah so there goes my Lexus for another year or so :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Suprab1 wrote: »
    Ah so there goes my Lexus for another year or so :(

What's there to be sad about :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I'm pretty sure it can be "back-waived" too.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    What's there to be sad about :confused:

What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

What do you mean?

You just found out you could be in line for a reimbursement on overpaid road-tax:confused:

Or the very least,your future road-tax payments are substantially reduced..

Edit-just reread your post there,not so sure it's an 08 anymore!

staker wrote: »
    You just found out you could be in line for a reimbursement on overpaid road-tax:confused:

Or the very least,your future road-tax payments are substantially reduced..

No i was just looking at buying an 06.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

What do you mean?

If your car is an '08, then surely you have just found out some good news?

I also don't understand how that might affect your chances of getting an IS220d.
    staker wrote: »

Anything before would be quite early for an A5 I would think. I certainly don't think I've ever seen an '07 example anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

randel wrote: »
    I have a A5 3.0 TDI Quattro since Jan 08. Unfortunately bought it before the road tax changes so it costs me over 1k a year to tax. Have put up over 200000km of mainly motorway driving since new. I get it serviced every 30000km at a main dealer. Servicing costs have dropped recently, think I paid about 200 euro the last time. I change the 19 inch tyres every 50000 km - costs about 900 euro.
    Only major problems I had with it was one window regulator failed recently, I replaced it myself at quarter the price I was quoted at the dealership. The throttle valve was also recently replaced for about 500 euro.
    With regard to fuel consumption, the display on the car is telling me 7.1 litres per 100km which I think works out about 39.8mpg.
    The car is lovely to drive, there is serious power on tap especially in the low revs.
    One big downside is resale value though, not a big market out there for large engined cars with high mileage!!

Thanks for the info Randel. They are a lovely looking car alright. What mpg do you get from a full tank?

Servicing @ 200 Euro is a very good price for a car of that engine size.

I presume these engines have a timing belt as opposed to a timing chain?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

There goes my heart and kidney transplant for another year so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

From looking at an early 08 A6 3.0Tdi quattro, the emissions on that put it in to the €1,050 per year category, so it's a saving to do it that way rather than engine size, but not a huge saving.

We recently sold an 06 3.0Tdi quattro to a driver with 276,000km on the clock. Just had a look through the service history and there is no mention of the belt being done, so I'd guess chain. No major issues with that car either so they seem to be reliable - I presume there have been no major changes to that engine between 06 and 08.

R.O.R wrote: »
    From looking at an early 08 A6 3.0Tdi quattro, the emissions on that put it in to the €1,050 per year category, so it's a saving to do it that way rather than engine size, but not a huge saving.

We recently sold an 06 3.0Tdi quattro to a driver with 276,000km on the clock. Just had a look through the service history and there is no mention of the belt being done, so I'd guess chain. No major issues with that car either so they seem to be reliable - I presume there have been no major changes to that engine between 06 and 08.

Thanks for the info ROR. Did you notice the emissions on the 3.0TDI engine are a good bit higher than the BMW 6 cylinder diesels:

A5 - 173
    3 series 330d - 152

its a pity if they were a bit lower you could save a bit on tax.

westlander wrote: »
    ......... the emissions on the 3.0TDI engine are a good bit higher than the BMW 6 cylinder diesels:

A5 - 173
    3 series 330d - 152

surely when spending €30,000 to €60,000 on a car a couple of hundred euro/annum on tax isn't a huge issue.

RoverJames wrote: »
    surely when spending €30,000 to €60,000 on a car a couple of hundred euro/annum on tax isn't a huge issue.

That's true.

But for some people who spend most of they're hard earned cash to buy such a nice car might be grateful if there tax was a bit lower. Every bit helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

westlander wrote: »
    Thanks for the info ROR. Did you notice the emissions on the 3.0TDI engine are a good bit higher than the BMW 6 cylinder diesels:

A5 - 173
    3 series 330d - 152

A5 is quattro and the 330d is RWD. I'll pay a bit extra tax to be able to drive in ice and snow thanks.

Suprised it's still that high on the A5 - the new A6 3.0Tdi 204ps is 149g for the auto and the 245ps is 158g. I'd expect to see the engine updates available in the A5 for MY2012.

Advertisement