Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance for Au Pair

• 29-08-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Looking forward to having help around the house so I can work...

Seems the only disadvantage (I can think of) to being a 24 year old spanish girl, is FBD want nearly 2 grand to insurer her to drive.

Anyone know of any cute, but legit, angles to try to do this a bit cheaper!

Want to buy a little 1.0 car rather than add onto my own insurance.

The 2 grand quote was us insuring another car for us and adding her as a named driver.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

you may be stuck with that, insurance at 24 with no previous history in ireland will be expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Does she have a full licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Employ an irish person?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

OSI wrote: »
    si_guru wrote: »
    Employ an irish person?

You'd have to pay an Irish person.

Not as much as 2000 euro though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Seems the only disadvantage (I can think of) to being a 24 year old spanish girl, is FBD want nearly 2 grand to insurer her to drive.

The 2 grand quote was us insuring another car for us and adding her as a named driver.

Thanks...

Would the 24 year old not be cute enough ?

Anyway, I assume she wont be there full time. If thats the case, you can reclaim any unused premium when she goes home.

Other than that, there is no way of getting a cheaper premium short of shopping around.

Or getting her a nice push bike. One with flowers on it. And a basket perhaps. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

24 year old Spanish Au Pair????

referee%20pics%20or%20gtfo.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How about a bus pass?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How about a bus pass?

If it was me then I'd have no issues with driving her to wherever she had to go. I dont have kids though so that might be a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Lets start a bidding war. For €1,900 i'll drive your au-pair around for the few months she's here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 reefbreakbda

youz are funny!

Most Au Pair types want to go somewhere else (can you blame them) so the Irish ones are probably in spain.

May insure her until she's 25 in December then try some sort of open driving number.

Yes a full licence for 6 years. and cute, but don't think that counts for much.

Oh, one bus a week in outer Kerry..

• Advertisement

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    Lets start a bidding war. For €1,900 i'll drive your au-pair around for the few months she's here.

You'd pay 1900 to drive an Au Pair around ?

Umm, if I tan myself up and wear a wig will you pay me to take me to work and back ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Maybe she can bring her own car from Spain?
    She won't be here that long, and by this most likely won't be considered resident.
    Insurance and other staff on Spanish car will be much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Cheer up OP - someone on this forum had a worse problem when it came to getting his American Au Pair driving - she arrived but said '' Oh Gee , I can't drive stick shift '' .
    He had to fork out 4,000 for an automatic for her :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Thanks...

Crikey, how long is she staying, you could nearly long term hire a car for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,718 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CiniO wrote: »
    Maybe she can bring her own car from Spain?

99.999% of Spanish au pairs in Ireland do not have their own car in Spain ;)
    kate.m wrote: »
    Not as much as 2000 euro though?

Are you yoking? A full time au pair costs about €5k per year and you have to provide board (which will cost you very little). An Irish employee at the minimum wage costs €18k per year and I'm not even taking into account employers taxes / prsi etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Delancey wrote: »
    Cheer up OP - someone on this forum had a worse problem when it came to getting his American Au Pair driving - she arrived but said '' Oh Gee , I can't drive stick shift '' .
    He had to fork out 4,000 for an automatic for her :rolleyes:

Sounds more like his fault for assuming that someone from a country where 99% of people learn in and then drive automatic transmissions would know how to drive a manual :rolleyes:

unkel wrote: »
    Are you yoking? A full time au pair costs about €5k per year and you have to provide board (which will cost you very little).

So many inuendo's

Must resist. :D

2k is still a lot to be paying to allow her drive your motor. Especially as a named driver.

Surely her Spanish NCB would stand to her ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

MugMugs wrote: »
    So many inuendo's

Must resist. :D

2k is still a lot to be paying to allow her drive your motor. Especially as a named driver.

Surely her Spanish NCB would stand to her ?

If you have a good motor I wouldn't insure here 3rd party.

Fully comp in case your car is fished out of a wall somewhere in kerry.

Its going to be expensive no matter what, just keep hunting around.

Advertisement