Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registry of deeds Vs land registry

Options
  • 04-10-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

In a boundary dispute, which document would be the correct one, the registry of deeds or the land registry?
    Thanks Wazzo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

They are separate registers. The land is registered on either one or the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Hippo wrote: »
    They are separate registers. The land is registered on either one or the other.

If there is a boundary dispute, there must be at least 2 properties involved. One could be registry of deeds and the other land registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Depends on the type of lease held for each iirc

AFAIK you can just go to the Property Registration Authority of Ireland

www.landregistry.ie

See what they have to say, as they are now the board that oversees both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

boundries on land registry maps are not conclusive unless both parties apply to registry to make then conclusive.

It is therefore deed that is registered in registry of deed's map versus deed that was used to register land in land registry.

If more then 12 years have passed since the alleged change in the boundary, it's whats on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

gabhain7 wrote: »
    boundries on land registry maps are not conclusive unless both parties apply to registry to make then conclusive.

It is therefore deed that is registered in registry of deed's map versus deed that was used to register land in land registry.

If more then 12 years have passed since the alleged change in the boundary, it's whats on the ground.

While I don't want to go into any specifics, the boundary is not denoted on the ground nor do I believe it ever was, as the property in question was for the sole purpose of providing access to another property. We purchased the properties 4 years ago and the contract specifically includes this piece as well as it appearing on the registry of deeds map.

( I will be speaking to our solicitor about this at the end of the week, but would like to be as informed as possible at the meeting)

Thanks for all the comment. Wazzo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

The Registry of Deeds hold no index of maps, and while there should be a map attached to the original deed, they hold no copies of these so you need the original document. The Land Registry has a full map search facility. Try the Property Registration Authority public office at the back of the Four Courts as a first port of call. In which county is the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Hippo wrote: »
    The Registry of Deeds hold no index of maps, and while there should be a map attached to the original deed, they hold no copies of these so you need the original document. The Land Registry has a full map search facility. Try the Property Registration Authority public office at the back of the Four Courts as a first port of call. In which county is the land?

I'm in cork, I think the office in waterford is the one to go to. cheers

Advertisement