Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Banditxii

Hi lads I imported a nissan serena for my wife last month I know this is off your discussion point but is it possible to change the digital dash centre from Japanese to english so that you can read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I'd doubt it, especially if its an oem nav/radio or controll's the heater ect there's not really any way around it

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

Hi i want to import a Tyota vitz (yaris) from Japan. could someone please tell me the costs and different procedures involved in importing a car from Japan to Ireland. Does the car have to go through a certain inspection test at the port and how much does that cost if it does? Is there like Government Tax that you have to pay when you import or register the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

There are several threads about it, do a search. In short, why on earth would anyone go to all that bother for a Yaris??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BMJD wrote: »
    There are several threads about it, do a search. In short, why on earth would anyone go to all that bother for a Yaris??

Please God it's the 1.5 turbo version at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are a good few garages selling import yariss. There's a lot to be said for it if you're looking at an automatic as AFAIK they use a conventional autobox vs the shoite MMT that we got. Spec is better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

There is a dealer in Dublin who deals in hap imports only. He brings them in himself and deals in micras , yaris , small cars etc.

We bought two cars from him this year. A 2008 and a 2005 , both Nissan marches and they are fantastic. Great guy to deal with too.

I suggest you have a chat with him. He goes to Japan himself all the time so he could get you what you want and organise everything.

PM me if you want his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thedave1989

This thread is really good. Thanks to everyone who has had an imput into this. Makes importing so much easier to understand and helps people understand all those hidden/forgotten charges. Fair play guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donbolt

where have all the dublin jap import dealers gone to ??. I bought an impreza sti off sean byrne car sales back in 2006 when jap imports were everywhere and not a mention of them boys now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Seen a used car that I like the look of
    Its a Nissan Micra Japanese import
    What problems would I have if any?
    Would parts be hard to get or is it just the same as Ireland/UK models

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Slightly different front wings and boot lid, and Lights (I think).
    No immobiliser.
    More expensive to insure (usually).

What year is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Slightly different front wings and boot lid, and Lights (I think).
    No immobiliser.
    More expensive to insure (usually).

What year is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Then the issues I mentioned would apply so.
    Also some service parts may differ.....have a look (or ask a question) on the uk micra owners club forum.
    Have a look at some Irish models and see if you can find one that suits you.
    The biggest issue with these is the Timing Chain, it stretches. It will be very rattly at idle and the noise will disappear when you rev it.
    Also rust on the front cross-member (where the bottom of the Radiator sits), rust along the Sills, and sometimes rust on the boot floor.
    Other than that they are fairly reliable and usually cost a lot less than what everybody wants in this class.....a Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wife had one. They come with electric power steering, which European models did not have. If anything goes wrong with either the steering rack or control unit, Nissan Ireland will be of no use to you whatever. More of these in breakers yards now, so probably not a huge obstacle.
    Also, garages will have trouble running diagnostics, as the script on the computer screen will be Japanese. Luckily they are really reliable. The one we had was an Auto, and not particularly economical, nor suited to long motorway driving.

Anyone looking a 01 Import steering rack, don't be shy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Stop pilling our legs!

Nobody could possibly like a micra.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

my wife has a 07 micra and for instance she cant cut a second fob for that as in Japan they use different frequency also as mentioned before some arts are different and maybe hard to get

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Radio Will need either a band expander fitting, or an aftermarket unit to replace the Japanese original.
    We found that there was no problem selling the March. Seems to be highly popular with African immigrants. Had about ten callers in response to an ad on Done Deal. First to view bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cepajev

Hi Chris. How to contact Tom O’ Mahony? Through titanworks? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Darry

cepajev wrote: »
    Hi Chris. How to contact Tom O’ Mahony? Through titanworks? Thank you.

Hi there,

Started a transaction with Tom O' Mahony of titan autoworks few days ago, you might want to find out how it went.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

Can anybody recommend insurance company or brokers who insure cars off vin nr? No one i contacted seems to insure jap imports.

Also bit of advice/warning re Tradecarview. Bought Honda Fit which supposed to be year 2005, that was on initial invoice, advertisement etc.

Unfortunately, as i got paperwork from Japan few days after shipment, it turned out it actually is 2003!

So always ask dealers for scan of japanese registration cert so you make sure about year of manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

You'll find it hard unless you already have insurance, and even at that it can be hard to get cover.
    In general you need to be wary with TCV, lots of dodgy dealer's out there, besides that they tend to buy their stock from the auctions either way, so generally works out cheaper to go the auction route

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Darry

Parts arrived in good form, happy enough with the transaction overall but had communication delays (not due to time difference).

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Stephen7287

My dream car is a Toyota Corolla ae101. I've been looking on sites like DoneDeal and Adverts for a while and I can't find anything I like that's in good condition. How can I import a really good condition Corolla from Japan to Dublin without going to Japan? (It has to be really good condition)... I'd pay up to 10,000 for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There's really no point. It won't be insurable at the moment.

There are penty of auction companies around who will bid on your behalf if you tell them what you want and your budget.

http://www.jdmauctionwatch.com

Are you thinking of a 101 sedan or coupe?

You'd have be certifiable to even want to spend much more than 10% of your budget on a sedan, as nice as they are, you'd live to regret it i'd say.

A 4A-GE coupe would be lovely, but ultimately, still uninsurable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Stephen7287

What do you mean it won't be insurable?

What do you mean it won't be insurable?

Do a few quotes and you'l soon see.

Very hard to get insurance for cars like that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

Maybe you'd be able to get some kind of classic car insurance for it..?

Lellostag wrote: »
    Maybe you'd be able to get some kind of classic car insurance for it..?

Jap imports cant be classics, apparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

With respect, Do people really dream of AE101s?
    Can't imagine paying 10k for one

Advertisement