Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unhappy with new make up

Options
  • 31-10-2014 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

new to posting in Beauty.

just looking for some advice on new make up i bought in BT2 this week. I had mineral make up that I had purchased abroad, which has just run out. I thought i would head to BT2 to get a similar one and stock up on primer, new mascara etc for the season!

Basically, I'm not happy with the shade, it is far too pale, which i did express to the make up artist at least 3 times, and while they were helpful, and stated "at bare minerals we never dictate your colour", they stated at least 3 times, "i would not go any darker than that", and I did feel pressured that they had selected the correct colour for me, and they knew better. When the artist applied bronzer (which i told them i never wear), the colour was fine, but i would much prefer to just use one powder, which is what I had done with the previous mineral make up i used.

I didn't spend a ton of money ~€75 but now I am feeling a bit stupid for not being more assertive, and getting a darker shade. I also feel stupid, as something similar has happened once or twice in the past (not every time i buy make up!!!), but I do find the whole experience quite overwhelming, but am unsure how else to get new make up

I now have brand new make up that I won't use, what should I do with it? seems a waste!

Do i have any recourse to exchange etc with the store counter? [i phoned and spoke with the make up artist over the phone who said there is nothing they will do as I was shown the make up in store, and still purchased it. ]

any advice on the situation and future recommendations, and what to do with brand new or practically new make up and what to do with it, ie the many samples which are perfect but not my shade etc?

any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

While you might not get anywhere I would be tempted to go back into bt2 and plead your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I would be going straight back in and ask to speak to a manager or supervisor about the whole thing, state your dissatisfaction at the situation and the fact the MUA pressured you into buying a paler shade.

Just be nice and polite, and you may get an exchange. Don't go in all guns blazing and don't expect anything because then you'll definitely get no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't understand how a grown adult can be pressured into buying something they don't want. The OP stated she didn't want a pale shade. They applied it, and applied bronzer and the OP says it looked fine with bronzer.

A simple "I don't wear bronzer so ill buy the darker shade there, thanks" usually does the job. Fact is, you saw it on, and you bought it knowing what it looked like. Take a little bit of responsibility.

I get this in mac all the time, trying to sell me foundations three shades too dark. "No, I won't wear it". It doesn't even require you to be too assertive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I don't understand how a grown adult can be pressured into buying something they don't want. The OP stated she didn't want a pale shade. They applied it, and applied bronzer and the OP says it looked fine with bronzer.

A simple "I don't wear bronzer so ill buy the darker shade there, thanks" usually does the job. Fact is, you saw it on, and you bought it knowing what it looked like. Take a little bit of responsibility.

I get this in mac all the time, trying to sell me foundations three shades too dark. "No, I won't wear it". It doesn't even require you to be too assertive.

Well then you should be counting your blessings that you're able to stand your ground against all of these techniques.

I've been pulled in so many times because these people are trained to manipulate, they take advantage of social protocol forcing you to respond and then use such techniques as foot in the door to get you to buy their product even if you don't want to.

It's unfair to say that "grown adults" shouldn't be succumbing to these techniques when they're purposely designed to that end!!

Everyone is built differently and I would be more on the OP side of the spectrum than yours. God knows we'd all like to be able to stand our ground but unfortunately we're not all either naturally disposed that way, or we haven't had enough experience in being assertive.

I don't think you're entitled to any recourse but if what the above posters have suggested don't work then I'd try sell it on adverts or one of those FB buy sell swap pages. :)

They're not manipulating someone though, I agree they're pushy when stopping footfall, they can make you buy more products than you need (for example te bronzer in this case), however, here, the sales assistant tested a shade on a client who was going to buy anyway. She wasn't trying to push a sale, she was advising on the shade she thought (however right or wrong this opinion was) suited the OP. The OP knew this was too pale in the shop, the OP knew she had used bronzer to darken it up, and yet the OP still chose to buy it.

A simple "I'm not happy with this shade. I like my foundation a little darker. Perhaps you could test another one on me?"

If an adult can't say something like that for themselves, then to be honest a lady selling makeup would be the least of their worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

You should be able to pick up a cheap bronzer to darken it sufficiently. Or else a darker shade of mineral foundation and mix them to customise it to your preferred shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I would go back in personally if it were me but then if the MUA managed to totally overwhelm you and override your concerns about the colour then she would not be the person I would approach. Go to a manager and tell them you were persuaded into that colour, that your protests were not listened to and you would like to swap it for a shade more suited to you.

I understand that the MUA can be persuasive and that they are trained as such so I would never go in near one unless I was feeling confident to say no. I want to get myself a really decent foundation soon and some other bits so am going to ask my cousin who works at a Chanel counter to match me as I know she won't steer me wrong and I can pick up some nice bits and see her get the commission at the same time.

OP maybe bring a bolshy friend with you to talk to them. If you can't or don't want to go this route then I would do what previous poster said and either mix it with a darker shade or sell it. 75euro is a lot of money, I would not let this just go, and as you said you've had this happen a couple times before so now is the time to fight back...and then next time you won't be persuaded so easily hopefully.

They're not manipulating someone though, I agree they're pushy when stopping footfall, they can make you buy more products than you need (for example te bronzer in this case), however, here, the sales assistant tested a shade on a client who was going to buy anyway. She wasn't trying to push a sale, she was advising on the shade she thought (however right or wrong this opinion was) suited the OP. The OP knew this was too pale in the shop, the OP knew she had used bronzer to darken it up, and yet the OP still chose to buy it.

A simple "I'm not happy with this shade. I like my foundation a little darker. Perhaps you could test another one on me?"

If an adult can't say something like that for themselves, then to be honest a lady selling makeup would be the least of their worries.

They are. I'm not saying they're doing it with malicious intent, but they're trying to get a compliant response from the customer to buy their product. I know this much as both a shop assistant and a student of social psychology.

You keep saying, "a simple" this, an easy that, it is NOT easy nor simple for a lot of people and you're not helping the OP and people like her by putting them down like that. I'm not deathly shy or unassertive but I'm empathetic to those who may be. I don't know what you think gives you the authority to say something as spiteful as the last part of your post, but it's completely unhelpful and unsympathetic to the OP's situation.

It's not spiteful at all. If someone cannot say "I don't like makeup that pale on me" then I'd be more concerned them being pushed into worse situations.

For example "why don't you try this drug? Go on. I'm doing it. It's so much fun." What are you going to say? "No sorry I don't do drugs" or are you going to be pushed into it?

The OP knew she didn't like the foundation before she bought it, and still bought it. How is that anyone else's fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don't know if it was BareMinerals but I remember being told by some mineral make up crowd that if I wanted the pot I brought tinted darker (for example if I got a tan) I should just bring it in and they'd blend it without charging extra. So it could be a pretty simple matter.

• Advertisement

It's not spiteful at all. If someone cannot say "I don't like makeup that pale on me" then I'd be more concerned them being pushed into worse situations.

For example "why don't you try this drug? Go on. I'm doing it. It's so much fun." What are you going to say? "No sorry I don't do drugs" or are you going to be pushed into it?

The OP knew she didn't like the foundation before she bought it, and still bought it. How is that anyone else's fault?

That was a terrible example! That happens to people all the time. I'm glad you're immune to social pressure and influence but you need to understand that not everyone is as lucky, and yes it can be problematic but you pointing it out isn't going to help the OP with this matter.

Where did I say it was anyone's "fault"? The shop assistant was doing her job, pushing the product but the OP felt like she had to along with the purchase anyway even though she didn't really want to.

The only helpful thing to say to the OP is to sell on the foundation, learn from this experience and try go shopping with a more determined mindset or call back in and see there's anything they can do (not that they're obligated I wouldn't think?).

I'm not picking on you I just think it's really unfair to come onto a thread where someone's asking for help and picking on the way they (and others) deal (or don't!) with situations like this. We're not all built the same, if we were the world would be a very boring place!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

HI folks, sorry have not had access to Interwebs since posting.

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone! I will be in town on Monday, and will go in, but there was no manager in evidence the last day, so not sure if such a thing exists there :) If I've no luck, (which i don't expect to) i might try to give it to a friend, i've a few that use Bare minerals. Having a few girlfriends over next week, might suggest we do a make up swap while we're at it.

you're right Donna and Sparky, i do get a bit overwhelmed, because although i can apply make up very well, I'm sometimes not sure about colours - lip and eyes particularly. I think in the future i will just have to think about it before buying, i don't really see any other way around it. I feel that in other situations i can be fairly assertive, but that often make up artists bamboozle me a bit, and don't take me "seriously" as soon as i tell them i don't wear make up everyday.. Ha ha i'm in the wrong forum i know!

I will just say that some of the responses above were quite insensitive. I asked about advice for this situation, you needn't bring drugs into it. i am fully prepared to take responsibility, and was merely asking for advice. And I was fully prepared and did spend money there, on other products that I am happy with. And as you will see from my original post I was also enquiring for advice more generally for this situation and what to do with unused make up. The MUA only gave me 4 options of shades which they applied directly to my face, of which i selected the darkest one (2 were yellow, and obviously the complete opposite of my colouring, which i thought was quite weird, I've never seen anyone do that before). I later looked it up, and realised they were all from the "light/fair" colour range.

Good advice I got, and always go by when buying new foundation is to always check it out in natural light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hi OP,

For this case (rather than selling it/giving it away) maybe you could get the bronzer then and darken it?

I myself havent a clue about make up (that bit panicks me), but Im very picky/hard sell.

If I get something applied by a make up counter, at the end I say "Thanks very much. Im going to walk around for a few minutes to make my mind up and get back to you". (I hate the "oh that looks lovely on you" transparent crap). Its my money and my skin. Im the one who'll say yay or nay.

I then walk around (look at clothes or something, odd flash in the mirror) and then if am still happy Ill go back.

BTW, if a make up counter is crappy with me for wanting to take a few minutes to decide, I defo wouldnt be going back to give them my cash ;-)

Hi Dallas, yeh thanks that is really good advice, and I will just have to stick with it rigidly :) I will write out a flash card for myself to remind me of all this the next time I am getting make up. In other situations e.g. clothes shopping, gadgets etc, i do do this, i.e. go away think about it, but i think when someone does your make up (unprompted), I feel a sort of contract is being set up (perhaps intentionally on their part?) whereby you feel obligated to purchase, as they have done something for you. In this instance I did wish to purchase, just to be clear!

Thanks again for all the suggestions folks, will pop up there on my lunch, and give it a go. think I will just be mad at myself if I don't even do that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Feu wrote: »
    Hi Dallas, yeh thanks that is really good advice, and I will just have to stick with it rigidly :) I will write out a flash card for myself to remind me of all this the next time I am getting make up. In other situations e.g. clothes shopping, gadgets etc, i do do this, i.e. go away think about it, but i think when someone does your make up (unprompted), I feel a sort of contract is being set up (perhaps intentionally on their part?) whereby you feel obligated to purchase, as they have done something for you. In this instance I did wish to purchase, just to be clear!

Thanks again for all the suggestions folks, will pop up there on my lunch, and give it a go. think I will just be mad at myself if I don't even do that much!

I am the exact same! I don't get into Dublin much (or anywhere with a big department store with makeup counters) so whenever I'm talked into getting my makeup done, I feel a bit bad not taking anything with me. So what I've started doing is asking for a sample of the foundation to take with me - that way I can try it myself at home & there's no pressure to buy it, they'll understand I want to try putting it on myself & see if it suits me.
    Some MUAs can be quite pushy though so it definitely is tough sometimes!

ShazGV wrote: »
    I am the exact same! I don't get into Dublin much (or anywhere with a big department store with makeup counters) so whenever I'm talked into getting my makeup done, I feel a bit bad not taking anything with me. So what I've started doing is asking for a sample of the foundation to take with me - that way I can try it myself at home & there's no pressure to buy it, they'll understand I want to try putting it on myself & see if it suits me.
    Some MUAs can be quite pushy though so it definitely is tough sometimes!

shaz that is another great suggestion, will defo consider that for next occassion, as well as thinking about it for as long as i need to.

And to update (if anyone is still reading :o) i went back to BT2, spoke with a manager (who had obviously heard that I phoned), and she offered to "re-colour" match me, to make sure i was happy. She took one look at me and said you must be "medium beige" i think it is, which is not what i had bought. Very professional, and I am very happy I went back! She also said, as some have mentioned above, to take mirror to the door and look at my face in natural light, which i did. A really good resolution for me, and of course I am very favourable to going back there and recommending them too! So thanks for the encouragement to go back folks, i literally would not have done it otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Well done Feu. Sounds like a very positive result for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

So glad you got a better result by going back in. And at least now you know the colour of that brand that suits you so nobody will try to push a different shade on you if you go in to repurchase. Delighted they swapped it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

This is why you need a senhora in Ireland.
    They give you samples of as many shades and brands as you want. They'll give you their recommendations too but if you buy something you can return it no questions asked within a month I think.
    Even if you've used it they'll refund or exchange it for you.
    I buy all my makeup there because they're so good with their policy and you don't feel any pressure.
    Glad they changed it for you in the end, because it shouldn't have been an issue for you in the first place.

• Advertisement

You are right California Dreams, i really feel we are missing out here without a Sephora, it is almost my first stop in any european country (or USA) where they have it. We just don't really have anything comparable here, a one stop shop for cosmetics, toiletries and equipment (an no, Boots is nothing like Sephora!). Didn't know about their refunds, as i'm never in the same place for long enough!

Did my make up this am, and loads of compliments - think the shade is really working :)

Advertisement