Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone made the move to Malta?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Looks like a decent place to live for a year or two. Anyone made the move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Bumpy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stormcloud

I live in Malta currently with my girlfriend. If you have computer qualifications (being a developer etc) you will find a job. Otherwise it is call centre work. That has been our experience. We are pondering leaving and going back to college. I am too old for call centre work and not qualified for any other type of computer work that they want here.

Wages are low but most things are cheap enough. The cheapest pint I have got in a pub was 2.10, a week bus ticket is 6.50

The island itself is pleasant, a bit dirty in the urban areas due to the casual approach of rubbish disposal. Gozo is stunning place to visit.

English is pretty widespread. The locals are nice enough but they prefer tourists than ex-pats. On a scale of "popularity" with the locals I would rate it as follows
    1. Local Maltese
    2. Tourists
    3. White Foreigners
    4. Asians
    5. Africans

There are increased marches again immigrants in the country and immigrant is pretty much code for black people. I have seen Africans asked to get off the bus to let locals on. In a company I worked for one of the trainers, was calling them "Darkies" and wanted them off the island.

Rents seem reasonable. The island is small enough and the public transport is not too bad, I have not had too many problems with the buses. Opening a bank account can be tricky, best have a job first and get a letter for the bank.

Basically if you are a white European with computer qualifications you will find a job easy enough, if you can speak multiple languages that will help as the Island is pretty much the call centre of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

i have seen alot more jobs advertised outside of i.t and call centre work.

Advertisement