Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radion Laundry Detergent

• 10-02-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

...anybody remember this? It was savage at lifting odours, nary a sniff of BO from the armpits of a shirt after a tumble through the machine with Radion. I was really annoyed when it was discontinued! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    ...anybody remember this? It was savage at lifting odours, nary a sniff of BO from the armpits of a shirt after a tumble through the machine with Radion. I was really annoyed when it was discontinued! :(

Yep I do remember Radion Washing Powder. Also remember many of the ads that promoted it. The first advert I recall seeing for Radion, was around 1991. The dialogue was as follows:

(1) "Living your everyday life your clothes pick up all sorts of grime and smells. Phew! the traffic! Eating out! Working out! Phew! The kind of greasy dirt that can cause stale odours. You need Radion Micro. Now that's as clean and fresh as your clothes can get!"

There were various other adverts for Radion. Some were regarded as "home made "adverts" which showed various members of a family getting their clothes all dirty and smelly with Radion then saving the day at the end of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I'm guessing you're a fan too!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

It's been back on the market a couple if years. I'm guessing Unilever sold the brand some years back though I stand corrected.

I used to sell it up until last year.
    It seems to be mostly a discount store item

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/radion-washing-powder-0-8kg-12-wash-50p-home-bargains-1492820?mforwarded=true

Is it still the same stuff I wonder? That's totally different packaging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

Is it still the same stuff I wonder? That's totally different packaging...

I'd say its a totally different product. Guessing someone just bought the name

• Advertisement

I miss the fluorescent orange :)

I'm guessing you're a fan too!! :P

Yes! I always liked the adverts. I've got a fairly good visual memory. Have to admit I would liked to have seen more women shown getting their clothes dirty rather than men. I could just imagine the individual situations that would have taken place too! But yes, you could say that I'm a fan of it.

Retailer wrote: »
    I'd say its a totally different product. Guessing someone just bought the name

That's the 1 million euro question, isn't it? Is it the same thing or did someone just buy the name?

Radion Automatic Washing Powder (1989-1991).png

Radion Micro Washing Powder (1991).jpg

I got it once to see what it was like. It's rubbish.

It just says Radion UK as the manufacturer with an address in Surrey. Doesn't seem to be anything to do with Unilever.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    I got it once to see what it was like. It's rubbish.

It just says Radion UK as the manufacturer with an address in Surrey. Doesn't seem to be anything to do with Unilever.

Was talking to friend of mine a few years ago. When I mentioned Radion washing powder to her and she said that, her opinion, it was really good. I suppose it's open to a matter of personal opinion.

Shame it didn't work for everyone, though.

Was talking to friend of mine a few years ago. When I mentioned Radion washing powder to her and she said that, her opinion, it was really good. I suppose it's open to a matter of personal opinion.

Shame it didn't work for everyone, though.

Sorry, I meant the new version.

Karsini wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant the new version.

That's alright. I was referring to the original Radion washing powder from the late 1980's / Early 1990's but no worries.

That's alright. I was referring to the original Radion washing powder from the late 1980's / Early 1990's but no worries.

Yeah I remember the original, my mam used to use it when I was a kid. Was made by Unilever but I don't think the new version is.

I was working in a restaurant back in the day, and my dirty smelly uniform shirts always came out looking and smelling lovely and clean with Radion. I'd love to see if Unilever have some boxes squirrelled away in a warehouse somewhere that they'd send me :)

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzI_0F97QGY&feature=player_detailpage

Here's the Radion advert that I recall. This was from 1991. (Apologies for the low resolution here.)

I recall seeing this advert a number of times. I don't think that this is the full version of this ad as I think there might be two shots missing. I do recall seeing one shot of a woman wearing a shirt-dress and smiling with her two kids and two female secretaries also smiling at each other at the end of the ad. Like the bit when the female news reporter is waving at the traffic and says, "Phew ! the traffic" and then later at the gym when she says "Phew! working out!" and you see all the people working-out in the background.

Would love to see the full version again.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

For all you fans of Radion washing powder:

I was bored a while back and so I decided to write a fanfiction story around the classic Radion Washing Powder advert of the early 1990s. Here it is:

It was 1:20pm on a beautiful early summer's afternoon. In a local forest just a short distance down the road from the local secondary school, 6 young secondary schoolgirls and two of their school teachers were on a school camping trip.

Miss Daly was busily cooking some food for the group on a small barbeque they'd brought with them. As she heated the barbeque, it was producing an awful lot of steam. So much so that, at one particular point, an enormous cloud of steam suddenly rose up into the air. Daly immediately frowned and waved her left hand trying to clear the steam. It was then that she realised that she must have turned up the heat too much. She immediately turned the steam level down and thankfully the cloud of steam gradually disappated.

Her colleague, Miss O'Connor, was desperately trying to set up their tent. She had gotten herself into quite a muddle and was uttering words like, ".....No! That's NOT the way THAT goes!!" and such like. For the two girls helping her, Barbara and Sinead, both were quietly giggling at this. The reason for this was because Miss O'Connor had been constantly bragging to the group that she was something of an expert on camping but now, her inexperience at such at thing had finally revealed itself. Once the tent was finally up, Miss O'Connor then turned to Barbara and Sinead.
    "Well now that THAT is done," she said, wiping her hands, without thinking, . "it's time for a quick walk. Where are Sarah and Emma?"
    "Don't know Miss." replied Sinead. "Do you know where they are Barbara?"
    "No I don't Sinead." replied Barbara, frowing as she tried to straighten her school tie.
    "Right then." Miss O'Connor said. "I'm going to try and find them. You two stay here wih Miss Daly. I won't be long."

As Miss O'Connor made her way off in the direction towards where Sarah and Emma were, Barbara had the, as it later turned out, not such great idea of walk back towards Miss Daly over the slight hill to the left of her. Unfortunately for Barbara, it was proving to be extremely awkward to approach Miss Daly given the fact that the hill was an awful lot steeper than it looked. She kept stumbling and just when it looked like she was going to fall off, she slipped slightly. Seeing what was going to happen, Miss Daly immediately grabbed the branch of an overhanging tree and firmly held on to it with one hand, as she herself was also now beginning to slip slightly on the muck. With one great lung, she managed to grab Barbara around the waist and, using all the strength that she could gather, managed to pull both of them back up on to solid ground again. Unfortunately though for Barbara, because of the fact that Miss Daly was known to sweat quite a bit, she had then subsequently developed (as indeed they all had), extremely bad body-odour.

They had been on this particular trip for a good while up to this point. Their clothes were absolutely filthy and they all didn't smell too good either.
    Barbara had the misfortune to discover this a few minutes later. There was a slightly small hill to the right of where they were camping As Miss Daly struggled to hold on to Barbara, she had to grab the branch over an overhanging tree in an effort to try and steady herself with her free hand while also holding on to Barbara with the other hand. As the struggled to try and keep their balance together, Barbara slipped again, though only slightly. Unfortunately, even though she was being held extremely firmly around the waist by Miss Daly, she was now in the extremely unfortunately position where her nose was only inches away from Miss Daly's underarm. "Ohh! Miss!! That's an AWFUL smell from under your arm!!" she moaned while holding her nose.

Meanwhile Sarah and Emma had also gotten themselves into a real muddle. They'd originally been asked by Miss Daly to see if they find any wood for a campfire as they were planning to spend a night there. Unfortunately though, in their search, they'd both slipped on an awful lot of muck and their school uniforms were in an asbolutely awful condition! Then, to cap everything off, they;'d both managed to walk into a big mucky puddle.. They had struggled a fair bit to try and get themselves out if it; but all they'd suceeded in doing was getting themselves more and more stuck they had become. Fortunately though for them, Miss O'Connor managed to spot where they were and she began making her way over to them. However, actually getting to them, proved to be even more difficult. She had to wade through a number of puddles, and over a fairly tricky and flimsy fence, slightly ripping her skirt in the process. She cursed slightly under her breath, but nonetheless, she eventually managed to get to the two girls.It was only then that she realised that she had ALSO gotten entangled in the same predicament as the two girls.

Their predicament was the fact that there were surrounded by extremely thick and thorny bushes and the only way of getting out of it was a narrow dirt path which, as you could probably well imagine, was no extremely mucky due to a rather heavy spell of rain which had fallen the previous night.
    "Oh no! What do we do NOW?!" moaned Sarah.
    "Well there's no choice for it!" replied Miss O'Connor. "We're just going to have to walk through these bloody bushes!"
    "But we're still stuck in this puddle Miss!" answered Emma.
    "Oh! You girls really are something ELSE!" exclaimed O'Brien. "Well then!. We'll have to find our way through them somehow! Come on!"
    It was an extremely tough and awkward job but they managed to find their way, with difficulty, through the thorny bushes and back to where they'd set up camp. Once they were all back together, they decided to abandon the rest of their trip and head home. This came as something of an enormous relief to all of them.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Later on at Miss Daly's house, the girls all had a shower each and then got dressed in some spare clothes that each of them had left at Miss Daly's house. Miss Daly and Miss O'Brien had both already showered beforehand and changed clothes as well. While the girls got changed, Daly and O'Brien both took turns at washing the girls' school uniforms. Their own clothes had already been washed and they were now drying on the clothes line in the warm sunshine.

Miss O'Brien took one of the girls' skirts out of the washing machine and had a sniff at it. She smiled happily at it and then turned to Daly, who was ironing another of the girls' uniforms.

"Wow! That smells wonderful!" she exclaimed in delight. "What washing powder is that by the way?!"

"That Andrea." replied Daly. "Is this new washing powder. Radion Automatic." she said handing a box of a new orange-coloured washing powder.

As O'Brien carefully examined it she read, " 'New Radion Automatic Washing Powder. Not only removes all kinds of dirt but also all those stale and embarrassing odours' as well."

"Yes. It's really something else!" replied Daly as she switched off the iron. "I started buying it there the other week and I was absolutely amazed with it."

"Well If it's really THAT good Michelle, I must remember to start buying it!" remarked O'Brien as she carefully folded the skirt and placed it back on the table.

When Daly was finished, they called the girls together and handed them each their school uniforms back. Each of the girls also smiled rather broadly and remarked on the absoloutely lovely clean smell.

As the girls left the house to go back home, Daly and O'Brien both turned to each other. As they watched the girls heading out of the front door, they both grinned at each other. Daly then closed the door. Both women smiled and hi-fived each other. "

Advertisement