Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 Accord 2.2 sport DSL or base Mondeo Diesel

Options
  • 29-08-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Me and my wife are looking to change her car. Her peugeot decided to give up on her. (No surprise there). Anyway we are debating between a 2008 Mondeo diesel for €10500 ish and a Accord 2.2 ictdi sport for €13000.

I am trying to persuade her to get the accord for various different reasons but she thinks that i am blinded by my love for the accord and me wanting her to go for that car is based on no informed information.

So, what I would like to ask of you guys is to give some unbiased pros or cons for each car so that she can make up her own mind.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

As a Mondeo driver and as much as I like the look of the Accord and previously owned a Honda, I don't think the Honda is worth that much more than the Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

A base model mondeo? Absolutely no question - the accord every time (and I like mondeos).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

A base model mondeo? Absolutely no question - the accord every time (and I like mondeos).

Even with the price difference. What about reliability safety ect. We have a 4 mnth old boy also so that would be important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Are those particular acccords reliable ?
    What's the motor tax like on them in comparision to the mondeo ?

All the UK car reviews would put the mondeo ahead on all counts

If I were you, I'd go for a higher spec mondeo.

That will also annoy your wife, and remind her that you should choose the car and wear the trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Hiace. wrote: »
    Are those particular acccords reliable ?
    What's the motor tax like on them in comparision to the mondeo ?

All the UK car reviews would put the mondeo ahead on all counts

If I were you, I'd go for a higher spec mondeo.

That will also annoy your wife, and remind her that you should choose the car and wear the trousers.
    I think the UK car mags are sponsored by BMW and Ford. The Focus isn't that much better than the competition, neither is the Mondeo.
    In fact, when the Mondeo was the joint-best handling car in it's class (according to them) it was the only choice to buy, yet now that it's relegated into second best with the new Mazda 6 being better to drive according to themselves, the Mondeo still wins because they moved the goal posts to suit whatever the Mondeo offers!
    No one in the mags pointed out the crap driving position of the Fords, nor the horrible, cheap interior, nor the fact that Fords always tend to look more worn and used much sooner than many rivals.
    I'd go with the Accord. The Mondeo does have decent handling, but the Accord is more comfortable, looks better, has a much higher quality interior, more refined engine (wouldn't be hard), and will wear better over time and many miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd search out a 2 litre Titanium X Mondeo and then compare it with the accord to even things out a but. I'd happily drive either but the Mondeo is a very impressive mile muncher. It is a big car to drive though but is a lot more nimble than the bulk suggests on a country road. But the base spec is a miserable car to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I've that model Accord. Built like a tank (in a good way). Around 52 mpg so not too bad but not frugal either. Decent power and little or no turbo lag. Bit of a pig around town but very comfy on motorway. Bulletproof mechanically in my experience. Don't know much about the Mondeo but if I was changing in the morning I'd go straight to the dealer for another Accord. Not as many around as the Mondeo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2008 Honda Accord 2.2 diesel costs €302 to tax per year. 2008 Mondeo 1.8 TDCi costs €302, 2.0 TDCi costs €447 per year.

Basic Mondeo is a terrible place to be imo, black door handles, plastic wheel trim, etc. You will need to go up to the Ghia/Titanium X to come near the spec of the Accord Sport. Unless you really need the extra space of the Mondeo I'd go with the Accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I think the UK car mags are sponsored by BMW and Ford. The Focus isn't that much better than the competition, neither is the Mondeo.
    In fact, when the Mondeo was the joint-best handling car in it's class (according to them) it was the only choice to buy, yet now that it's relegated into second best with the new Mazda 6 being better to drive according to themselves, the Mondeo still wins because they moved the goal posts to suit whatever the Mondeo offers!
    No one in the mags pointed out the crap driving position of the Fords, nor the horrible, cheap interior, nor the fact that Fords always tend to look more worn and used much sooner than many rivals.

In fairness to you I got the same feeling reading all those UK mondeo reviews, I kept thinking can a mondeo really be that good ? but then I thought who am I to disagree with all these experts. There is a lot of group think that goes on in the UK and Ireland, so its hard to tell fact from fiction sometimes. What puts me off the accord is that a mate has an 08 diesel one, and he had some serious hassle and was hit for a huge bill recently regarding a wheel bearing assembly and sensor, the price of honda parts seems to be astronomical. He's well put off honda for life now.

Advertisement