Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinning

Options
  • 04-10-2010 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

There is a photograph in at least 1 of todays papers showing a suspect in a case of arson where an 11 year old child was seriously burned and it appears the suspect is smiling or grinning.2 things spring to mind.Either the paper should not print this photograph or an attempt should have been made to "put the smile on the other side of his face".This individual is innocent until proven guilty but I cannot see any reason for smiling in the face of a tragedy.I am sure there is at least 1 out there who will disagree with me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

miseeire wrote: »
    ...t I cannot see any reason for smiling in the face of a tragedy.I am sure there is at least 1 out there who will disagree with me.

Impossible to disagree with this statement ^

By way of context the fact of the newspaper printing the picture has informed you of the demeanour of the suspect, arising from which you have been enabled to form an opinion or at least form a more informed opinion.

The newspaper is neither promoting or condemning the demeanour of the suspect (who as you rightly say is presumed innocent) in printing the photograph.

Bit concerned about what you said regarding taking the smile of his face. I presume you meant eh via photoshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would of course an image of a grinning supspect, contaminate the jury pool.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Haddockman wrote: »

Trial won't be for a long time giving rise to a substantial fade factor. Have a goosey at rattigan v dpp for more extreme reporting which did not affect the right to a fair trial.

For all we know he could have been smiling because of banter with the guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Haddockman wrote: »

No.

Can't see any basis for why you would think otherwise.

What is the point of this thread? I don't see a legal issue anywhere in it other than this happened outside a court.

• Advertisement
Advertisement