Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

books.....

Options
  • 01-10-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

why are they so expensive? i appreciate the amount of work that goes into them and all that,....but as a student....108 euro is an awful lot of money :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmylawman

lallychops wrote: »
    why are they so expensive? i appreciate the amount of work that goes into them and all that,....but as a student....108 euro is an awful lot of money :(

What were you buying that cost 108 euro ? Was it new or second hand?

I believe that may not be even the dearest. See my thread below about looking for second hand books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

What were you buying that cost 108 euro ? Was it new or second hand?

I believe that may not be even the dearest. See my thread below about looking for second hand books.

the Irish legal system byrne and mccutcheon.. I tried to get it online. Just as expensive the second hand shop doesn't have it. But the bookshop has it new. Someone on the ul forum said they had it I offered money but still no response and I have to read 4 chapters by Tuesday :( I know it's not the least of them. However it's rough enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The target market is very small. Irish legal books are only bought by students of Irish law, practitioners and some libraries. English law books have a much larger target market by virtue of the greater number of students and practitioners in England and because English law is studied by students in many countries outside of England. English books are thus so much cheaper. Many of the fixed costs are spread out among a greater number of purchasers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The father nearly had a heart attack when I told him the price.... OP I also need that book, got it out of the DCU library for the minute, but will buy it on Tuesday, 109 Euro in the campus bookshop. Does your college have it in the library?

I need a few other books like James Casey's one on constitutional law, cannot imagine that they will be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I was lucky that a supplier came into college during the week and was selling Law books at a discount. Picked up the Irish Legal System for €80 new and was finding it online for the price the op stated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

Agreed.

I don't get why blackstone's eu leg. is €18.00 but a copy of the company acts is nearly €100????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

LOL, €100? Wait till you see the ones that cost €300+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    The father nearly had a heart attack when I told him the price.... OP I also need that book, got it out of the DCU library for the minute, but will buy it on Tuesday, 109 Euro in the campus bookshop. Does your college have it in the library?

I need a few other books like James Casey's one on constitutional law, cannot imagine that they will be cheap.

108.45 euro of my hard earned cash...needless to say i am not amused. my theory is these books better be a damn good investment. the library has 8 copies. always checked out. and you cant reserve them. i sold my soul and bought it on campus for said price :( it is quite obscene....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'd suggest using library books for the first while.

In the first few weeks there will probably be few of them in the library due to students being enthusiastic.

But after that they seem to be easily available, especially if you are using it for your own research not for a specific assignment.

After a few months you will see which books are worth it and which are not.

A book on the Irish Legal System is, IMO, not as important as a book on a more substantive area of law.

Also, I doubt that the Irish Legal System has changed to smuch that second hand versions of the books aren't as useful for studying purposes. Read the introduction pages in the books as these usually set out what changes have been made since the last edition.

Advertisement