Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky drop digibox price to retailers

Options
  • 29-08-2004 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭

Sky have again dropped their price to retailers of digiboxes. Its now at a level where I would suggest that its no longer good value to repair digiboxes as they average repair was running to 100 € or more. Also good news for anyone who wants to buy a digibox on its own. The subsidy to retailers remains the same.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, it would probably make more sense, also when you consider that most failures are old Pace's with their crap tuners. I'm still saddened that Panasonic have discontinued from making digiboxes. Back to using Paces again. Obviously wasn't viable to make decent boxes at lower prices. Of course, if boxes get cheaper, that in turn means the manufacturer gets less, so in turn, the box gets made of cheaper components.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

byte wrote:
    I'm still saddened that Panasonic have discontinued from making digiboxes. Back to using Paces again. Obviously wasn't viable to make decent boxes at lower prices. Of course, if boxes get cheaper, that in turn means the manufacturer gets less, so in turn, the box gets made of cheaper components.

I think sky and pansonic could not agree so contract was withdrawn, I agree with you it is a loss. The latest pace though does seem to be very reliable unlike the sky + box which seems to develop hard drive problems.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

Tony,

Speaking of prices:

If I was connecting for the first time, and I wanted two boxes (one being Sky +) with a mirror sub your talking about the following Cost

First Box and dish - free while subscribing for 12 months
    Sky + box and Quad - €299
    World package subscirption - €62.5 a month
    Mirror sub - €15 a month

Is this right? are there any other hidden costs?

What would installation costs? Sky are advertising special installation prices of €37 at mom, how much would the Sky plus install cost?

As ever thanks!

Bluefish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

how much are they now?

Think sky have a special on two box install, best bet is to ring and ask. Un fortunately I am having less and less to do with sky as it simply is not worth the hassle for the money we make.

Bluefish wrote:
    Tony,

Speaking of prices:

If I was connecting for the first time, and I wanted two boxes (one being Sky +) with a mirror sub your talking about the following Cost

First Box and dish - free while subscribing for 12 months
    Sky + box and Quad - €299
    World package subscirption - €62.5 a month
    Mirror sub - €15 a month

Is this right? are there any other hidden costs?

What would installation costs? Sky are advertising special installation prices of €37 at mom, how much would the Sky plus install cost?

As ever thanks!

Bluefish

• Advertisement
    byte

Yes, I think quite a few retailers are of the same opinion including where I work. Becoming more and more hassle to deal with Sky (from a retailer/installer point of view).

Tony wrote:
    Think sky have a special on two box install, best bet is to ring and ask. Un fortunately I am having less and less to do with sky as it simply is not worth the hassle for the money we make.

Thats a pity Tony as you have done two sky installations for me in the past and have been excellent!

Bluefish wrote:
    Thats a pity Tony as you have done two sky installations for me in the past and have been excellent!

Thanks for your kind words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

On the subject of possibly not repairing digiboxes. I can think of a very good reason to fix one. If you have a FTV card got when BBC was FTV(not FTA)the card is matched to the box.If ITVetc decided to pair the cards and BBC reverted to FTV you would have a problem viewing if you had since switched boxes. Interesting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Good point although I doubt if the Beeb would be able to go back to FTV since theyd *1$$ off viewers who had bought FTV systems for their digital channels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

2 box installation is now 149 euro

thats for a sky+ box and a mirror sub normal box.

great value.

Total package Includes: First box, dish, sky + box as second box,quad, AND standard installation of both boxes!

Not very often I have uttered the words "sky" and "good value" in the same sentance recently, but there you go.

The only catch I can see is I think you have to subscribe to the world package and have a mirror sub.

Bluefish :D

Just goes to show that poor sales are a great motivator. Now if only they could figure out what a sub increase will do for sales .......

Bluefish wrote:
    Total package Includes: First box, dish, sky + box as second box,quad, AND standard installation of both boxes!

Not very often I have uttered the words "sky" and "good value" in the same sentance recently, but there you go.

The only catch I can see is I think you have to subscribe to the world package and have a mirror sub.

Just looking at some material from sky, they are offering €100 cashback, free standard installation and free second box, so taking into account cashback this will cost 199€ although you must take full package and mirror sub.
    Bluefish wrote:

Tony wrote:
    Just looking at some material from sky, they are offering €100 cashback, free standard installation and free second box, so taking into account cashback this will cost 199€ although you must take full package and mirror sub.

Tony
    If you go to the Sky website, they are offering the above for
    149 Euro 'straight' as I stated earlier.

http://www.sky.com/skycom/article/0,,91069-1130664,00.html

byte

Well, it seems retailers can only offer it for €199 (with cashback offer) as where I work, we got same promo material. They seem to be changing their promotions on a monthly basis now.

jimbob wrote:
    Tony
    If you go to the Sky website, they are offering the above for
    149 Euro 'straight' as I stated earlier.

http://www.sky.com/skycom/article/0,,91069-1130664,00.html

I'm not doubting you it was just an observation as I had the material to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I called SKY up today that they said you can now purchase a SKY+ box for 149 EUR with any SKY premium package and it also includes free installation. :D In most shops, they are still listing the SKY+ box for 299 EUR. However I don't see this advertised on their website.

Adsluser
    Click on the link above.
    then click on
    Sky digital with Sky+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

No this was different to the offer the salesperson offered, however I will check again since it's not advertised. Need to be sure!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement