Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

For €120m, I'd throw Park and Anderson into the deal as well :P

For that, we could easily buy someone on the same level as Rooney as well as have money left over to invest in the team over the next few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cambo2008 wrote: »
    But Carroll wasn't worth anywhere near 35m and Torres,relative to other transfers,probably was worth 50m at the time,he just hasn't looked that player since then.

Torres was on a serious downward spiral when Liverpool offloaded him and his injuries looked to have caught up on him. Nothing has changed and Chelsea were shafted, although one would say they have won the CL and FA Cup since, so perhaps it was worth the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Yes, they weren't worth that much but still selling team got that much. So just because Ronaldo was sold for 80 Million doesn't mean the next transfer should be lower than that.
    I'm not saying that and it varies a lot due to age and contract situations but prices will always be set by comparison in every walk of life.
    It's how the whole transfer market has been inflated so much.

kippy wrote: »
    Torres was on a serious downward spiral when Liverpool offloaded him and his injuries looked to have caught up on him. Nothing has changed and Chelsea were shafted, although one would say they have won the CL and FA Cup since, so perhaps it was worth the cash.
    Serious downward spiral??
    Bit ott there,it's not as if he was in his mid thirties leaving Liverpool.
    Lack of form is what it looked like to me it's not as if he's Hargreaves-like with injuries.
    50m didn't seem such an outrageous price to me anyway.
    Obviously in hindsight it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

For €120m, I'd throw Park and Anderson into the deal as well :P

For that, we could easily buy someone on the same level as Rooney as well as have money left over to invest in the team over the next few years...

:rolleyes:

Name someone. I'd like to hear this. Someone who will do as much as Rooney currently does for us, not just the goals, coming deep into midfield to get the ball, playing the right pass, then getting on the end of it 30 times a season, THEN he has to want to come to Manchester United.

We're not talking FIFA 12 Manager Mode here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rooney is not leaving.

I hate the summer break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Name someone. I'd like to hear this. Someone who will do as much as Rooney currently does for us, not just the goals, coming deep into midfield to get the ball, playing the right pass, then getting on the end of it 30 times a season, THEN he has to want to come to Manchester United.

We're not talking FIFA 12 Manager Mode here.

Hit the nail on the head there somewhat, not just with this daft Rooney business but our transfer targets in general-

It isn't always a lack of money that scuppers deals, its being the most attractive option to the player, the amount of top drawer players that go to Barca/Real Madrid, even during their 'barren' spells, should tell most people that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

There is going be plenty of more stories like that during the summer.

Get prepared cause we in for one rollcoaster of a ride.

Fair enough, maybe there's not one player who would replace him like for like.

But what about two players? Getting, say Van Persie and Llorente to become a front pair in his place? Or getting a striker and a midfield (given we have a hole in midfield and Rooney is already playing two positions).

I get there's some people who think Rooney is untouchable. I guess I'm not one of them though. Not saying he's bad, or anything under great, but I just think if we're offered that much for one player, we could strengthen two or three positions with the money and up the overall ability of the whole team. Selling one player and replacing him with two or three players of lesser quality could up the ability of the whole team by more than that lost through the loss of a single player.

• Advertisement

Got 80 million for Ronaldo.

How many Quality players in the Ronaldo Bracket did SAF buy?

Big Fat 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

DM-ICE wrote: »

Big Fat 0

Did Ferguson not sign a new right winger, Antonio Valencia? He's no Ronaldo but he's one of the best in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Just to say, if you do manage to get Kagawa, thats an absolute bargain.
    One the top attackers in the Bundesliga

Cant defend but boy, his touch, poise, vision and speed.
    if he settles, will be a steal

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Did Ferguson not sign a new right winger, Antonio Valencia? He's no Ronaldo but he's one of the best in his position.

As I (And you) say, no player in the Ronaldo Bracket was signed.

Thats all, in theory we got Valencia and Young for half the fee, which is grand.

But I'd rather have Ronaldo.

There's only one other player in the world in the "Ronaldo bracket"......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

steal

Yeah like you stole Hazard away from us :mad:

Sorry, sorry, I'm touchy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Big Fat 0

How many are in the Ronaldo bracket? I can only think of one and none that were available.

How many are in the Ronaldo bracket? I can only think of one and none that were available.

As I have said I have no problem with the replacements bought.

Just highlighting how, if Rooney was sold - it is far easier to say use the money to buy a player on his 'level' than to actually go out and do it.

Big Fat 0

I'd put this as proving my point tbh.

Since we sold Ronaldo, we brought in De Gea, Jones, Young, Smalling, Hernandez, Valencia....

We sold one player and bought a tonne who continued the development of the whole team. Yes, it would be nice to still have Ronaldo, but if we had turned down that money, we might not have had the cash to bring in all those other players as well. And we still won a PL and only lost the second on goal difference.

Selling one to improve the overall quality of a team can be a positive step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Will Keane just stretchered off at England u19 game . Could be a serious injury .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Will Keane just stretchered off at England u19 game . Could be a serious injury .

Apparently went down untouched clutching his knee.......not good at all...

• Advertisement

Big Fat 0

As others have said there is only one player in the world in the Ronaldo bracket at the moment and he isn't available.
    Ronaldo and Messi are two of the most effective players that have played the game in at least the last decade and possibly beyond. They guys are breaking records all around them and will do for the next 8-10 years.
    When Fergie picked up Ronaldo for 12 odd million, there were a couple of years where he didn't perform but boy when he settled he was epic.....
    Who knows who the next Ronaldo/Messi will be, but I tell you one thing, Chelsea and United with the current transfer policies are trying to get them for a lot less than Madrid paid for Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dahat wrote: »
    Apparently went down untouched clutching his knee.......not good at all...

Lets all get back to having dig at United Medical staff now.:p

on serious note....bollox

I'd put this as proving my point tbh.

Since we sold Ronaldo, we brought in De Gea, Jones, Young, Smalling, Hernandez, Valencia....

We sold one player and bought a tonne who continued the development of the whole team. Yes, it would be nice to still have Ronaldo, but if we had turned down that money, we might not have had the cash to bring in all those other players as well. And we still won a PL and only lost the second on goal difference.

Selling one to improve the overall quality of a team can be a positive step.

You said sell Rooney and he could EASILY be replaced with one player (Then it became two) and have money left over. The number of players bought since Ronaldo was sold proves how hard it is to replace a top player even when you get big money.

Replacing Rooney would not be easy.

You said sell Rooney and he could EASILY be replaced with one player (Then it became two) and have money left over. The number of players bought since Ronaldo was sold proves how hard it is to replace a top player even when you get big money.

Fair enough. I will retract the word "easily". However I still stand by the fact that I think if we got €120m for Rooney, we wouldn't have much trouble reinvesting and strengthening the overall quality of the team. I believe Rooney could be replaced in the short term by two quality players (a striker and a mid) and that other areas of the team could be invested in as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

If we bought Ageuro when he was available he'd be better. Younger too.

As others have said there is only one player in the world in the Ronaldo bracket at the moment and he isn't available.
    Ronaldo and Messi are two of the most effective players that have played the game in at least the last decade and possibly beyond. They guys are breaking records all around them and will do for the next 8-10 years.
    When Fergie picked up Ronaldo for 12 odd million, there were a couple of years where he didn't perform but boy when he settled he was epic.....
    Who knows who the next Ronaldo/Messi will be, but I tell you one thing, Chelsea and United with the current transfer policies are trying to get them for a lot less than Madrid paid for Ronaldo.

I'm not arguing any of that.

I'm not saying United should have replaced Ronaldo like for like.

I'm using a big money sale of a very important player to show how difficult it would be to replace Rooney (a very important player) if he was ever sold.

People listing off fantasy transfers as potential replacements is not a sensible argument. Plenty of examples out there of big transfers that didn't work out. Over half of the 15 biggest transfers in history failed to work out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Samich wrote: »
    If we bought Ageuro when he was available he'd be better. Younger too.
    Rooney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aguero

Fair enough. I will retract the word "easily". However I still stand by the fact that I think if we got €120m for Rooney, we wouldn't have much trouble reinvesting and strengthening the overall quality of the team. I believe Rooney could be replaced in the short term by two quality players (a striker and a mid) and that other areas of the team could be invested in as well.

Easily = wouldn't have much trouble:P

In fairness I take your point. I still think having 120million to spend is far from a guarantee that the team would end up better off. Teams you buy from would demand chunky fees just because they know you have money, it would still be a tough task.

The problem with Rooney is that he doesnt havent enough similiar quality players around him. He knows that to, and its part of the reason he was thinking of leaving

I'm not arguing any of that.

I'm not saying United should have replaced Ronaldo like for like.

I'm using a big money sale of a very important player to show how difficult it would be to replace Rooney (a very important player) if he was ever sold.

People listing off fantasy transfers as potential replacements is not a sensible argument. Plenty of examples out there of big transfers that didn't work out. Over half of the 15 biggest transfers in history failed to work out.

The reality of life dictates that a club cannot keep a player there against his wishes. It wouldn't be "easy" to replace Rooney, just as it wasn't easy to replace Ronaldo (they haven't done too badly without him though).

The key point is I don't believe Rooney is anywhere near as effective as Ronaldo and that he goes through serious spells of dips in form, as well as being prone to injury and the odd card, unlike Ronaldo. He is worth, to another club, no where near as much. He is effective for United, no doubt and were they to sell him they would value him based on the effectiveness to them.
    I don't think losing Rooney would be as big a deal as others suggest, particularly if the right players are brought in.

The one thing about Ferguson, he has sold key players in the past when it has come to it, I doubt he would actively try to sell Rooney but it wouldn't be the end of the world for the club if Rooney were to leave.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, maybe there's not one player who would replace him like for like.

But what about two players? Getting, say Van Persie and Llorente to become a front pair in his place? Or getting a striker and a midfield (given we have a hole in midfield and Rooney is already playing two positions).

If we get Van Persie and Llorente we still get over-run in midfield and have to sell one of Chicharito/Welbeck.

If we buy a striker and a midfielder we absolutely HAVE to ensure they slide right into the side like they have been a United player for years. That risk is far to great.
    I get there's some people who think Rooney is untouchable. I guess I'm not one of them though. Not saying he's bad, or anything under great, but I just think if we're offered that much for one player, we could strengthen two or three positions with the money and up the overall ability of the whole team. Selling one player and replacing him with two or three players of lesser quality could up the ability of the whole team by more than that lost through the loss of a single player.

Now, I never said Rooney was untouchable, he is prone to an absolute nightmare, but it is our over-reliance on him which is why he is absolutely indispensable to the club. Very little happens for Manchester United without Wayne Rooney involved. We need to compliment him and help him out. Selling him puts us back to square 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Selling your best players who still fit in your team is almost never a good idea. It's actually spectacularly retarded, unless they want to leave - that's a different story.

If we signed a £40m striker tomorrow there is absolutely no guarantee if he'll hit it of or not. There's a huge risk involved. We know what we're getting from Rooney and it's far safer to keep him.

Now, can we please stop the talk of selling Rooney? I'm all for speculative discussion, but when it enters these sort of ridiculous realms it makes for painful reading.

Very little happens for Manchester United without Wayne Rooney involved. We need to compliment him and help him out. Selling him puts us back to square 1.

kagawa should help out there.
    Most of your play seems to be relying on pin point crosses from wingers
    kagawa should offer something different, through balls and the like
    And chip in with goals should take the pressure off

Blatter wrote: »
    Selling your best players who still fit in your team is almost never a good idea. It's actually spectacularly retarded, unless they want to leave - that's a different story.

If we signed a £40m striker tomorrow there is absolutely no guarantee if he'll hit it of or not. There's a huge risk involved. We know what we're getting from Rooney and it's far safer to keep him.

Now, can we please stop the talk of selling Rooney? I'm all for speculative discussion, but when it enters these sort of ridiculous realms it makes for painful reading.

Pretty much anything in relation to non confirmed transfers is speculative, sometimes in the ridiculous realms but yes, I get your point, Rooney has made no signs that he wants to leave.

EDIT: Ignore - read Blatters Post instead.

Rooney is very important to United, he is the heart of the side. Possibly more important than Ronaldo ever was (as seen by the success since Ronaldo left) to United. I hate to think about him leaving but I go mad at the sight of people under appreciating how important Rooney is and suggest it would be anything other than extremely difficult to replace him.

Sorry to drag this out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i dont rate Hulk one bit. if he signed for united, i would be appalled.

just on this lad again...

i took a look at his stats and i have to say, they are pretty impressive. looks like he has improved considerably over the past 1-2 seasons, its been a while since ive seen him but he was a woeful player 18 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The reality of life dictates that a club cannot keep a player there against his wishes. It wouldn't be "easy" to replace Rooney, just as it wasn't easy to replace Ronaldo (they haven't done too badly without him though).

The key point is I don't believe Rooney is anywhere near as effective as Ronaldo and that he goes through serious spells of dips in form, as well as being prone to injury and the odd card, unlike Ronaldo. He is worth, to another club, no where near as much. He is effective for United, no doubt and were they to sell him they would value him based on the effectiveness to them.
    I don't think losing Rooney would be as big a deal as others suggest, particularly if the right players are brought in.

The one thing about Ferguson, he has sold key players in the past when it has come to it, I doubt he would actively try to sell Rooney but it wouldn't be the end of the world for the club if Rooney were to leave.

Ronaldo has gone on to a level that only one other player in the world is able to match. Having said that I am firmly of the belief that all he offers is goals, pace and the occasional dribble. Goals win games, and a lot of them. But so does tracking back, helping out in midfield if needed, spreading the ball from one side of the pitch to the other to change the point of attack and so on.

Ronaldo can't, and probably never will be able to do these as well as Rooney. Rooney is world class at seeing things happening around him. He can be beside Rafael in the corner and spread the ball 70 yards across the pitch to the far corner, as he did against Chelsea in the CL final in '08.

The way Ronaldo strikes the ball doesn't allow for him to be able to make an accurate long pass of more than 25/30 yards.

They are two totally different players. Ronaldo is a scarily efficient goal-scorer. Rooney may never be as clinical as him. Rooney is, however, a far more versatile player. He can affect the result at either end of the pitch, through his attacking skills and his defensive ones. At that he is one of the best in the world. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who is as good all over the pitch. I genuinely think you could play him in any position and after an adjustment period and coaching he would be one of the best in the world in that position again. For that reason I would hate to see him leave the club.

Also, Barca and Real don't need him. I doubt he'd be let move within England at all. That leaves very few clubs with the money to get him to move away from his family and home country. He struggles at times with English, I couldn't imagine him taking too easily to French or Spanish :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Big Fat 0

thats a pretty exceptional bracket your talking about there....apart from Messi, only Wesley S would have been anywhere near ronaldo in 2010.

thats a pretty exceptional bracket your talking about there....apart from Messi, only Wesley S would have been anywhere near ronaldo in 2010.

Don't make me reply to this again:pac:, I was trying to make another point that I obviously made badly. Maybe I should have said how many players in the Rooney bracket did we get for the Ronaldo money.

Same answer. 0.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo has gone on to a level that only one other player in the world is able to match. Having said that I am firmly of the belief that all he offers is goals, pace and the occasional dribble. Goals win games, and a lot of them. But so does tracking back, helping out in midfield if needed, spreading the ball from one side of the pitch to the other to change the point of attack and so on.

Ronaldo can't, and probably never will be able to do these as well as Rooney. Rooney is world class at seeing things happening around him. He can be beside Rafael in the corner and spread the ball 70 yards across the pitch to the far corner, as he did against Chelsea in the CL final in '08.

The way Ronaldo strikes the ball doesn't allow for him to be able to make an accurate long pass of more than 25/30 yards.

They are two totally different players. Ronaldo is a scarily efficient goal-scorer. Rooney may never be as clinical as him. Rooney is, however, a far more versatile player. He can affect the result at either end of the pitch, through his attacking skills and his defensive ones. At that he is one of the best in the world. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who is as good all over the pitch. I genuinely think you could play him in any position and after an adjustment period and coaching he would be one of the best in the world in that position again. For that reason I would hate to see him leave the club.

Also, Barca and Real don't need him. I doubt he'd be let move within England at all. That leaves very few clubs with the money to get him to move away from his family and home country. He struggles at times with English, I couldn't imagine him taking too easily to French or Spanish :pac:.
    As you say, I doubt he is going anywhere but in my opinion, he is still nowhere near as valuable as Ronaldo was/is.
    In terms of consistency, Ronaldo is streets ahead, doesn't get the same level of injuries (perhaps because he isn't trying to be all over the pitch) and is far less likely to get sent off.
    Thats just my personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Stories of Rooney getting sold. Lack of incoming players casusing mass frustration. Possible targets slipping through our fingers to join rivals. Talk of transfers missed and players who left us.

It can only be the summer break on the UTD thread where arguments and anxiety reach record highs.

Take three deep breaths. Look at this and remember we are the best ever

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQo5RymDP76FymY18WiHfPBQBFMAbNfoSKckNSUeOvhI0lAimWqoI2ucFmL

That is all.

As you say, I doubt he is going anywhere but in my opinion, he is still nowhere near as valuable as Ronaldo was/is.
    In terms of consistency, Ronaldo is streets ahead, doesn't get the same level of injuries (perhaps because he isn't trying to be all over the pitch) and is far less likely to get sent off.
    Thats just my personal opinion.

He is only streets ahead in terms of goal-scoring. For everything else he is not all that great.

Ronaldo gets injured alright. The only problem is that Rooney seems to have feet made of glass. If his feet weren't so fragile then he'd be fine. Luckily for Ronaldo he doesn't seem to have those problems. Also the fact that he never, ever tackles increases his chances of remaining injury free.

The red card argument is completely and utterly laughable. Since the 2003/04 season Ronaldo has received 6 red cards in the league. In that same period Rooney has received 1.

Since then Ronaldo has received 36 yellow cards. Rooney has received 58, but most importantly the number has dropped off almost completely in the last year or 2. Last season he got his first yellow card after 36/7 games IIRC.

Ronaldo is as likely, if not more likely, as Rooney to get sent off at the present moment.

Rooney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aguero

I disagree.

He is only streets ahead in terms of goal-scoring. For everything else he is not all that great.

Ronaldo gets injured alright. The only problem is that Rooney seems to have feet made of glass. If his feet weren't so fragile then he'd be fine. Luckily for Ronaldo he doesn't seem to have those problems. Also the fact that he never, ever tackles increases his chances of remaining injury free.

Players rarely get injured making tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Another commercial deal in the offing;
    Manchester United are set for a commercial tie-up with General Motors which is to be announced in the Chinese city of Shanghai on Thursday.

The deal will concern the GM brand Chevrolet and the 19-time English champions, with details to be disclosed at a press conference taking place at midday UK time.

• Advertisement

Maybe not, but they definitely don't get injured as a result of never making a tackle.
    TheTownie wrote: »

Sounds like a good one. Any indication of the amount it's worth?

Tell that to Jason Street.

tumblr_lgqpwywTaz1qd257vo1_400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TheTownie wrote: »

More money for interest repayments, get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is there a way of knowing officially how many commercial deals United are tied into?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Sounds like a good one. Any indication of the amount it's worth?

Figures will be released Thursday.

Deloitte's latest annual review of football finance (2010-2011 season, report not publicly available yet) shows S.F.A is changing with regards club finances. Upward trends continuing;
    • Manchester City's wage bill was at £174M. 14% more than revenue.
    • Manchester City, are one of eleven clubs, incl. Chelsea (84%) and Liverpool (73%), who spent more than 70% of revenue on wages.
    • Manchester United had the lowest wages/revenue ratio of 46%.
    • The wages/revenue ratio in Premier League clubs was 70% - a record figure having crept up from the low-to-mid 60s five years ago.
    • Wages went up by £201M in the 2010-11 to almost £1.6B, a 14% rise, and overall revenues rose by 12% to £2.27B. This was mostly driven by a rise in income from the new TV deals, especially from overseas rights.
    • Combined pre-tax losses among Premier League clubs were £380M, while transfer spending increased by £210M (38%), to a record level of £769M.
    • Total revenue in the Championship increased by £17M (4%) to £423M, partly caused by an increase in the solidarity payments from the Premier League.
    • The wages/revenue ratio in Championship clubs was at an even more worrying figure of 90%.

Sources: 1 & 2

Championship is in a bad way!

As for Man City... well their finances are simply backwards!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement