Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary Expectations (Geneva)

Options
  • 21-05-2011 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I may be moving to Geneva for work and I have been requested to provide salary expectations. Considering the differeing currency and cost of living, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some material I could use to help determine my expected figure.

I tried searching local job sites for similar roles in the locality to see what they were paying, but the salaries dont seem to be published..

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I tried searching local job sites for similar roles in the locality to see what they were paying, but the salaries dont seem to be published..

In Switzerland, it is usually a breach of contract to disclose salary details, so it is very unusual to find ads. with salary in them. If you are working via an agency they should be able to give you an idea of what to expect.

This UBS survey on Prices & Salaries should give you some idea of costs and salaries. Note that Geneva is one of the most expensive places to live.

If you have not already done so, get your hands on a copy of Living And Working in Switzerland, as it covers all the things you need to know about living in Switzerland.

One thing to know is that it is very difficult to get reasonable accommodation around Geneva, so try and get your employer to help you on that point.

Jim (Switzerland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theriddler85

Mods , would you mind moving this to the original work and jobs forum please.... My mistake thanks

Jim, thanks for your input.
    Have you ever lived in Ireland?? From the brief bit of research I have done so far, it appears that there is roughly a 25-30% difference in the cost of living between Dublin & Geneva. Would that be a correct assumption ?

thanks

Have you ever lived in Ireland??

Yes I'm Irish, but I've lived here in Switzerland for over 20 years now...
    From the brief bit of research I have done so far, it appears that there is roughly a 25-30% difference in the cost of living between Dublin & Geneva. Would that be a correct assumption ?

Yes I would say that is about right.

Geneva is very special, there are a lot of international organizations and companies based there and this in itself makes it very difficult when it comes to housing etc... but there is more, most of the employees are on special living allowances from their companies, which of course means they are willing to pay more, so the prices go even higher....

I would suggest that you consider living somewhere outside the Geneva area and commuting to work - Swiss public transport is excellent, so it is no bother to live up to 40 mins or so outside the city.

Are you moving with family or on your own?

What area are you working in?

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I would suggest that you consider living somewhere outside the Geneva area and commuting to work - Swiss public transport is excellent, so it is no bother to live up to 40 mins or so outside the city.

How much distance would you expect to travel in 40 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 theriddler85

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Yes I'm Irish, but I've lived here in Switzerland for over 20 years now...

Yes I would say that is about right.

Geneva is very special, there are a lot of international organizations and companies based there and this in itself makes it very difficult when it comes to housing etc... but there is more, most of the employees are on special living allowances from their companies, which of course means they are willing to pay more, so the prices go even higher....

Are you moving with family or on your own?

What area are you working in?

Jim.

Yeah I've came to that conclusion myself (that I will need to look outside of the city for accomodation but I can live with a short commute)
    I would be moving on my own.
    Its a financial institution located in the center...

• Advertisement

Yeah I've came to that conclusion myself (that I will need to look outside of the city for accomodation but I can live with a short commute)

As you are an EU citizen you could also think about living over the border in France, as it tends to be much cheaper there. Check out the EnglishForum.ch as it has lots of useful info on this kind of thing.

Jim.

Advertisement