Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a job - what to say for "salary expectations"?

Options
  • 06-05-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently helping a friend of mine apply for a job. The instructions say to e-mail a CV and cover letter, along with your "salary expectations".

Now - I'm open to correction - but from what I remember from HR in college, this is a bit of a trick question, and one that you should try to avoid answering if possible in interviews (unless you know you've got the job), let alone as part of the initial application.

The job in question is a fairly manual position - not a particuarly skilled one. I would imagine the going wage isn't too far above minimum wage.

Has anyone got any suggestions on the best way to address this? While I think she should avoid naming a specific rate that she'd expect, I still think she should give some sort of response, since they've asked for it. Or should she just give a rate slightly above minimum wage? If so, how should she word it?

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

I wonder do they expect a comment or an approximate figure?

I think you're right when you say it might be something like a 'trick' question - to rule out those who expect the moon, I would say!

While I wouldn't have her say 'minimum wage is fine with me! :)', perhaps something like 'in line with other positions of this kind'. Or is that too vague?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Last time I was asked I said 'around €x, that's about the average for this position'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not really a trick question per se, just an easy way to find people who probably won't accept the job when they find out how much it pays.

Best to put a figure range down. Think about 3 categories - the minimum you'll accept, the ideal amount and what would be an awesome payment. Let's say for example, that for this job, €9/h is the minimum, €10/h is ideal and €11/h would be fantastic, then your salary expectations are €9.50/h - €10.50/h

This tells them that you're expecting a salary around €10/h, but you're willing to be flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

seamus wrote: »
    It's not really a trick question per se, just an easy way to find people who probably won't accept the job when they find out how much it pays.

Best to put a figure range down. Think about 3 categories - the minimum you'll accept, the ideal amount and what would be an awesome payment. Let's say for example, that for this job, €9/h is the minimum, €10/h is ideal and €11/h would be fantastic, then your salary expectations are €9.50/h - €10.50/h

This tells them that you're expecting a salary around €10/h, but you're willing to be flexible.

Great post.

I have always wondered about this question and never knew what to write/type so would always put down "Negotiable". Is this bad?

(Sorry to hijack the thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

It wont matter what you say really as you will only get paid what they have already decided to pay you. The question is usually asked when the pay is bad and they dont want to advertise is like when they say its negotiable when it clearly wont be.
    I would treat these jobs with caution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement