Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish worse for drink culture than us?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Whenever I click on Scotland on bbc.co.uk there's always something about drinking levels, or underage drinking levels or price restriction plans etc etc.

Wales and England not the same. Might be more booze related stuff on the Northern Ireland page but I guess they only have so much space left after they finish the articles on daily petty arguments in Stormont.

So us paddys are world renowned for being massive boozers, are the scottish actually worse, or the same?

Anyone lived there? experiences?
    Tagged:

Comments

i think it's fairly similar.. Both countries have their nights dominated by the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Irish people do like a tipple alright, but Scotland, and most of England tbh has a worse drink culture than us. On many visits over yonder, I've noticed people there start drinking a lot earlier than Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

As long as there are no follow up questions or a need for proof, then yes

Yes they are much worse for drink culture than us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If the Simpsons has taught us nothing else, its that the Irish are all alcoholics.

So to answer your question, NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We drink more than them on average, they just get more yobbish I guess.

List of countries by alcohol consumption.

Also, Portugal is a prominent holiday destination which may effect the numbers, possibly Luxemburg too
    It#s hard to say how much is people visiting given countries vs residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

from talking to scottish friends the irish drink more but spread it over a few hours instead of in scotland where they seem to drink as much as they can in so called "happy" hours where spirits and pints can be as little as £2 each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

you can legally drink on the street in scotland as far as a I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Irish people do like a tipple alright, but Scotland, and most of England tbh has a worse drink culture than us. On many visits over yonder, I've noticed people there start drinking a lot earlier than Irish people.

Thats because the pubs and clubs close much earlier isn't it though (in London the pubs kick you out at 11.30)? Thats definitely the case in England anyway, not sure about Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The-Rigger wrote: »
    We drink more than them on average, they just get more yobbish I guess.

List of countries by alcohol consumption.

Some serious nuts at the end of that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

From my experience Tralee is very similar. Lads drinking cans while the guards peer on. However down there at the minute is not the nicest place in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

definitely worse. Last time i was there the popular drink was blue wkd mixed with port wine.

Terrible drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like a challenge to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I think Northern Ireland has worse drink culture than us. I lived up there for a few months and i saw a lot more fights outside bars at 3 in the morning up there than i have in 2 years of going out down in Dublin. Not a light on northern people mind you, they;re lovely when they're not drunk!

I am living in Scotland at the moment. A bottle of Buckfast is 6 pounds and a shoulder of Vodka is 5 pounds. Maybe they can just afford it more. Best place for cheap booze is the states. Miss the plastic three litres of Vodka for 10 dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Well they have to live nearer the English than us, so they should be allowed drink more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I've spent a bit of time over there.
    They're similar enough to us.

Except they have the magical hangover curing properties of Iron Bru.. (Ir'n Brú) more readily available to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

I lived in Scotland for a while and i would say no. The stuff in the papers is usually about Glasgow which is a total sh*thole. Anytime anything happens there the Scottish media jump on it. It you compared Temple Barf to the main drinking area in Edinburgh ( Grassmarket) there is no contest , Temple Barf is way way worse!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I lived there for a while and they don't seem to be quite as bad as us, in Edinburgh anyway. Glasgow is similar, but probably because they're all of Paddy origin. Sorry folks, we are the biggest alcos on planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Scots top us - nay problem pal.

I thought the difference was noticable. They neck it back with no respect or shame. The Irish do drink heavily but there is some modicum of 'I'm an awful man', 'Jaysus I really did the dog last night'. The Scots don't have this. Free time + money in your pocket = drunk. Not a second thought required.

Secondly - there is a culture of young people on the whiskey there that is rarely seen here. They'll get some whiskey in at home as a matter of course before their lips touch a pint in the boozer.

Of all the travelling I've done, Scots were biggest boozers in the world, followed by us. You get some Scandie alcos but there are plenty of dry people to balance it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Scottish people drink a lot. And it's not just the get drunk and fight anyone I see types. The well paid middle class are in bits too.

But then again replace Scottish with Irish in the sentence above and you also have a truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Ah but the Irish don't get so pissed that we paint our faces half blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

Drinking on the street was banned a good while ago.

I'd say the Irish drink more than us, we have to leave some room for heroin and shortbread....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

A controversial Scottish brewery has launched what it described as the world's strongest beer - with a 32% alcohol content.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin has been unveiled by BrewDog of Fraserburgh.

BrewDog was previously branded irresponsible for a 18.2% beer called Tokyo, which it then followed with a low alcohol beer called Nanny State.

Managing director James Watt said a limited supply of Tactical Nuclear Penguin would be sold for £30 each.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8380412.stm
    Yup. It's scottish.
    No hope for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ah but the Irish don't get so pissed that we paint our faces half blue.

No just some sort of a vomit green.

We always were known as the alcos of the world and I don't see that changing. The french used to have far more alcohol problems but they managed to turn that round over 20 years or so but to the life of me I can't work out how they did it, you still see them having a bottle of wine at lunch and dinner. :confused:

I was listening to Marian Finucane about a year ago and some expert was on saying that there is awful lot of noise about young people going out drinking loads of shots and puking their guts up but on the whole most will grow out of it. The real danger is the middle class 'alcoholics' who may put away a bottle of wine between two every night and have 3 or 4 bottles over the weekend. They will keep doing it until they find out their health is suffering as they don't see this as binge drinking or even social drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I think Northern Ireland has worse drink culture than us. I lived up there for a few months and i saw a lot more fights outside bars at 3 in the morning up there than i have in 2 years of going out down in Dublin. Not a light on northern people mind you, they;re lovely when they're not drunk!

Have to disagree. I'm living in Belfast at the moment and I've never seen any fights outside bars... I suppose it just depends on where you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

The Irish are pretty civilised in the grand scheme of things IMO, and I say that as someone who lives in Dublin on Parnell street, works in clubs, goes out most weekends, walk up and down O'Connell street most nights..

There's a big gap between the breathless reports of a booze-ridden savagery and carnage on the streets that you'd read in the papers and the actual facts on the ground... Sure people drink, people get drunk, occasionally pee or throw up somewhere but you'll have a very hard time finding a city where that isn't the case IMO

The main problem with Ireland (well, I can only speak for Dublin here) is that we close everything inordinately early, and kick everyone out on the street at the same time with less than half an hour to spare before the last public transport, at which time people are completely dependent on Taxis which are in very short supply, so they end up being stuck in town wandering around cold and drunk; it's a complete recipe for disaster and it beggars belief how it's allowed to continue considering the amount of extra pressure it puts on emergency services, the Gardai (who by and large do a great job) and the casualty departments.

Of course it also contributes to a more serious culture of after-party drinking, with noise disturbing neighbours (irish building codes allowed the Celtic Tiger construction boom to not bother actually putting reasonable sound proofing between houses sold off or rented to young childless couples), and of course the fact that house parties tend to be far more anarchic affairs where drug use can take place openly...

Any fool should be able to see that extending the opening hours by another two hours with a ban on alcoholic beverage sales in the latter of the two hours would result in people leaving more gradually, putting less pressure on public transport, crowding the after hours eating establishments less, causing less hassle to pissed off neighbours, less aggrivation, a decline in after-party drug use (the sort of after parties that killed all those young people in Waterford who took that contaminated cocaine and the sort that killed Katy French...), not to mention giving Ireland the capacity to compete with other capital cities for a better class of cultural tourism than Temple bar gets with it's stag and hen nights...

But that would be far too sensible for an Irish government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I lived in Scotland for a while and i would say no. The stuff in the papers is usually about Glasgow which is a total sh*thole. Anytime anything happens there the Scottish media jump on it. It you compared Temple Barf to the main drinking area in Edinburgh ( Grassmarket) there is no contest , Temple Barf is way way worse!!!

Glasgow is worse than anything in Ireland by far.

On the whole I would Ireland is probably worse. Glasgow is a toilet pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

orourkeda wrote: »
    Glasgow is worse than anything in Ireland by far.

On the whole I would Ireland is probably worse. Glasgow is a toilet pot.

If we're talking Ireland on the whole, all I can really speak with authority about is Carlow; granted it's a few years since I was there last, but by God I've never in my whole life seen as much street violence and aggro after closing time down there... It's unreal, mass streetfights, women bating each other with their heels...

I only talk about what i know though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lux23 wrote: »
    No just some sort of a vomit green.

We always were known as the alcos of the world and I don't see that changing. The french used to have far more alcohol problems but they managed to turn that round over 20 years or so but to the life of me I can't work out how they did it, you still see them having a bottle of wine at lunch and dinner. :confused:
    By viciously cracking down on any public drunkenness, simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

When i was travelling in my backpack days I found the Scots in general were fine, they liked a drink but so do most of us. however the Glaswegians seemed to be the worst, worse than us in fact.

Sounds like a generalisation but I really did notice this when I was away and mentioned it to my mates back home who studied in Glasgow and they agreed that Glasgow was known for binge drinking in Scotland.

Advertisement