Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst gifts/gift someone has ever given you?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Alessandra wrote: »
    A soap set. Who uses fragranced soaps these days?

*Sniff*.. *Sniff*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Smcgie wrote: »
    A pink frizbie :rolleyes: (honestly) my brother thought it would have been an excellent christmas present. The story comes out every year at christmas about the stupid thing...

At least it was pink.:pac:

/I think it is better than a collar and lead for a dog.

/Yes I will put it in the thread again.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

One of my friends cut out a page 3 out of the sun and gave it to my as a present.

That's really not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

bronte wrote: »
    That's really not good.
    That depends on who it was.

I would have laminated it to make it last though.:pac:;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never really had a ad gift, got a fantastic one on my birthday, thoughtful, something I really liked, but as we broke up then, I will not accept it, worse than a bad present, I wanted that! heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Duff wrote: »
    A wooden owl from my granny for my 9th birthday. A WOODEN OWL FFS!!

"Come in. Come in. As if I could forget my grandson's birthday...." said Granny Duff as her eyes frantically swept her late husband's bookshelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Duff wrote: »
    A wooden owl from my granny for my 9th birthday. A WOODEN OWL FFS!!

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, thank you so much!

I don't really get bad presents, I usually allow for the odd '' oh, I thought you had that games machine '' mistake. There was one time, I must have been about 14, when my grandmother got me a Thomas the Tank Engine easter egg, which was just kind of funny- the chocolate was still good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

brummytom wrote: »
    Horrible bright green Arran jumper with a sheep on.

Or a fiver from two of my mates - they split it between them, cheap pricks

Jaysus. When I was fifteen, that'd get you a sixpack,10 smokes, a snog off a hippy chick and chips on the way home.

/looks for walking stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

There are two that stick out, I once got a picture book about bird colonies...I have never ever shown an interest in that before or since. The other was a small selection box that we had to share between my family (4 of us) and my cousins family (6 of them). we got less than half a bar each iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I know I posted this on Boards before but...

For Christmas 2008, a very close family member gave me a receipt from the present they bought for me and subsequently lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

My mother got me a purple tuxedo shirt of Christmas 1985.

I asked her 'how many puerto rican proms do you expect me to go to ?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 goosey gander

i think i must get the most horrible presents ever, my best friend in secondary school gave me a china clown as a birthday pressies...wouldnt be too bad if i wasnt terrified of them!!! Worse one ever was when my brother took our neighbours horse into our garden(i adore horses by the way!!!) and told me our mum and dad had had bought it for me for my birthday!!!! i was delighted until the neighbour came looking for his horse!!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

A cello shaped pencil sharpener from my aunt for my 20th or 21st birthday. given to me months later when she saw me for first time since then. She wouldn't be someone I'd expect a gift from so when she jumped up saying "Oh I forgot to give you your birthday present!!" I sorta expected something cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭deebee08

Jason Donovan annual for xmas pressie when I was about 15, think I stopped fancying him when I was about 10!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

At work one x-mas, we did secret santa, and i got a box with 50 card games you can play on your own..........I have friends I SWEAR!!!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Earth Dweller

I'm actually guilty of giving cr*p presents, when i was 8 I went down to the corner shop and got my dad a blue bic biro and a copybook for his birthday and wrapped it up in a sheet of A4 refill pad paper. My mother went mad- I havent lived it down to this day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

My "friend" got me a Golden discs voucher for 25 quid.......

AFTER Golden Discs had closed down

Thanks Niamh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

That sounds like the present I received last month for my birthday but I also got tip-ex, this plastic panio that spits out memo sheets and some paper clips.pathetic.

You should be ashamed of such crap presents!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Organised pilgrimage to Medjugorje as a wedding present.

I'm an ex-protestant atheist with a strong hatred of any sort of organised religion. The comment to hubby was 'maybe she'll find back to the right way'.

Appreciate the sentiment, but still think it's spiteful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

A bottle of shampoo and conditioner from my best friend when I was 12--jesus thanks a million!!
    Also a bicycle lock for Xmas for my parents when I was 10, I didnt even know what it was!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

galah wrote: »
    Organised pilgrimage to Medjugorje as a wedding present.

I'm an ex-protestant atheist with a strong hatred of any sort of organised religion. The comment to hubby was 'maybe she'll find back to the right way'.

Appreciate the sentiment, but still think it's spiteful.

Nasty.

Did you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A concrete dog, all glossy about two foot high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

@ Euro-Kraut: not yet. But it looks like we're going - send the giver a postcard in front of one shrine or another, excuse ourselves from any holy business, and bugger off to the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Earth Dweller

acb wrote: »
    That sounds like the present I received last month for my birthday but I also got tip-ex, this plastic panio that spits out memo sheets and some paper clips.pathetic.

You should be ashamed of such crap presents!!!

That piano thing sounds great, yesssssss Dads bday present sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

A hairdryer from my parents when I was 9. The hairdryer that everyone in the family used was on the blink at the time and when I brought my hairdryer to my room thinking it was great to have my own one, I was asked why I hadn't put my hairdryer where the hairdryer was normally kept. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

When I was six I gave my ma a tin opener for Christmas. The old one was broke and my young mind reasoned that because mammy was the one that used the tin opener she'd love a new one.

She did the part and pretended to be happy with it.

Advertisement