Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MEDIA] Charlie Bird and his N11 commute

Options
  • 31-07-2006 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2161809.smil

and

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2161825.smil

He picks a bad road to make his point about speeding ( a very good dual carriageway that will probably have its limited increased to 120kmh).

I hope his speedo was calibrated!!

and

"I'll get back into the left hand lane" ??

and while the other guy was tail gating, it looks like Charlie was hogging the overtaking lane...

jd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

jd wrote:

He picks a bad road to make his point about speeding ( a very good dual carriageway that will probably have its limited increased to 120kmh).

and

and while the other guy was tail gating, it looks like Charlie was hogging the overtaking lane...

jd

Will probably? His point was the current limit is being ignored - the assumption that the limit on this road may be increased at some point in the future has no relevance to this report.

All speedo's in cars have a margin of error which could be +/- 10%. Any of the cars which overtook him appeared to be travelling well over 10% of his speed.

Perhaps Charlie was overtaking another car at the time - do you know he wasnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

gyppo wrote:
    All speedo's in cars have a margin of error which could be +/- 10%. Any of the cars which overtook him appeared to be travelling well over 10% of his speed.
    Actually- they overstate by up to 15%.. I think he could have chosen a better road to make a point about speeding and accidents etc

Oh-one other thing-he stated they *were* exceeding the speed limit ,and the cars were readily identifiable by reg number in the report. As I said, I hope he had his speedo properly calibrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yes, on two occasions in the report he was sitting out in the overtaking lane and then comments about driver behaviour. Hardly to a good way to go about a road safety report.

I can accept his point about people generally not observing the speed limit but while he was sitting in the overtaking lane talking on camera he could have lost a few clicks on the speedo and somebody traveling on the limit comes up behind him and that may appear aggressive.

Also I don't get the idea of the roll call unless the cause of death is clearly stated e.g. speeding, over the limit etc. Harsh as it may seem, the addition of this information may jolt people into modifying their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder if that recording was actually legal. /me checks new act.

What date was it?

Victor wrote:
    I wonder if that recording was actually legal. /me checks new act.

What date was it?
    He said earlier this month..
    jd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

That report was the of the fox news type, badly reported and sensationalist crap. Someone doing 10 km/h over the limit on a straight and clear piece of road is not the cause of the accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭gobdaw

Is the real point of CP programme that road regulations and restrictions are regularly ignored and flouted on a massive and predictable scale. Compliance to them is on a laize fare basis by a considerable number of motorists.

While that has to be a factor in our poor road safety statistics, the main impression I got for the prog was the non-enforcement of them by the Guards, despite the fact that the CP was confident that he would be able to record so many infringements.

Even if CP was himself not complying with traffic regs, as claimed by some posters, that does not diminish the main point being made, but rather underlines it.

The only way to effect a sea change in the public’s attitude to compliance can only be by more visible and rigorous enforcement. Every ad to promote road safety is just another subsidy to the performing arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

gobdaw wrote:
    Is the real point of CP programme that road regulations and restrictions are regularly ignored and flouted on a massive and predictable scale. Compliance to them is on a laize fare basis by a considerable number of motorists.

While that has to be a factor in our poor road safety statistics, the main impression I got for the prog was the non-enforcement of them by the Guards, despite the fact that the CP was confident that he would be able to record so many infringements.

Even if CP was himself not complying with traffic regs, as claimed by some posters, that does not diminish the main point being made, but rather underlines it.

The only way to effect a sea change in the public’s attitude to compliance can only be by more visible and rigorous enforcement. Every ad to promote road safety is just another subsidy to the performing arts.

Excellent post, could'nt agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

gobdaw wrote:
    The only way to effect a sea change in the public’s attitude to compliance can only be by more visible and rigorous enforcement.
    Another thing that would help is better response times from the Gardai when someone phones TrafficWatch.
    On Monday 24 July I reported an incident. 10 days later and I have not been contacted to follow up.
    I submitted another report on Friday 28 July. No contact yet.
    I think it's time for yet another letter to the Garda Commissioner (each one has been about the lack of response to my reports of dangerous driving).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

jd wrote:
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2161809.smil

and

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2161825.smil

and

jd

Funny also how he was breaking the law by being a pedestrian on the motorway, and then of course they cover it up by calling it the "N11".

Wonder where he parked his car...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bryanw wrote:
    Funny also how he was breaking the law by being a pedestrian on the motorway, and then of course they cover it up by calling it the "N11".

Wonder where he parked his car...?
    Yeah, I wondered that too ... the camera perspective makes it look like he was standing on a fairly wide 'pavement' between those railings and the road, but believe me, it isn't. I'm guessing the camera crew parked further down on the hard shoulder where the old M11 resumes after the flyover, crossed over the motorway on foot, and walked up beside the railings. Nice example, you're setting there, RTE and Charlie !!!

This old article is somewhat relevant..
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2002/04/26/emrip27.xml
    Right out of order
    I frequently have to ask myself which side of the road we drive on in Britain because, after many miles on dual carriageways, I am becoming a little confused. Why do most drivers stay in the right-hand lane of a dual carriageway, regardless of the volume and velocity of traffic in the left-hand lane? British motorists do not drive on the left on any road that offers them a choice, although the problem does not seem so manifest on three-lane motorways.
    A.D., Eastbourne
    You have identified a major British driving fault: driving in the wrong lane. Sometimes I think it wouldn't take much to harmonise our rules of the road with those of Continental Europe, as so many British motorists already drive on the right! Poor lane discipline is a significant problem. By forcing all vehicles to drive at a similar speed, irrespective of which lane they are in, it obstructs the flow of traffic and increases the likelihood of accidents due to tailgating.
    I don't share your belief that the phenomenon is less prevalent on motorways; you must have witnessed the situation on three-lane roads where most vehicles travel in the outside and middle (overtaking) lanes at more or less the same speed, with little or no traffic in the nearside lane (incorrectly known as the slow lane).
    Again, traffic tends to bunch up as a result, leading to frustration among drivers who want to go faster, and collisions are the inevitable result when people drive too closely to the car in front.
    No driver should hold up those who want to overtake, even if he is already travelling at the legal maximum. This will, no doubt, prompt an avalanche of mail from those who insist that nobody has the right to exceed the speed limit, so the only people affected by poor lane discipline are lawbreakers. Let me respond to this by first declaring that speed limits must be respected. Many drivers appear to believe that the outside lane has a higher limit than the others and they can therefore drive faster in that lane. They are wrong.
    However, law enforcement is the responsibility of the police, not self-satisfied motorists who are unaware that their speedometers may read up to 10 per cent fast or mistakenly believe that the national speed limit on a dual carriageway is 60mph (it is 70mph, as on motorways). There are very few drivers in Britain who can claim without hypocrisy to be expert drivers, but many who seem to think that obeying the speed limit represents the full extent of their responsibility for road safety.
    Failing to keep left contravenes The Highway Code and the bunching and tailgating that result from poor lane discipline are potentially more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit by a few miles per hour. Sadly, too many drivers are guilty of both.
    Ignorance of the rules of the road, lack of awareness, laziness and discourtesy are just a few of the reasons why drivers fail to keep left. Others include inexperience (remember that motorway use is not part of the driving test) or lack of confidence when changing lanes in busy, fast-moving traffic, particularly as those already bunched together in the outer lanes are often reluctant to allow others in from the nearside, even when their need to overtake a slower vehicle is obvious well in advance. When this situation becomes the norm, drivers become less willing to use correct lane discipline, so when they do reach the middle or outside lane, they just stay there on autopilot.
    We should all try to use multi-lane roads properly and with consideration for others, which means driving on the left wherever possible, practical and safe to do so. It's a simple, common-sense way of making road travel more efficient, more tolerable and much safer for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Report was complete waste of time typical Charlie Bird all heat and no light. The main aim of any report is to illustrate the current driving conditions and behaviour that prevails in this country. It failed on every single aspect. Embarrasing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Speaking as a criminal (I've just acquired two points on my licence, to the hilarity of friends who regard me as too legalistically correct a driver), it would be rather a good idea to have the speed limits (a) a standard size and placement throughout the country, and (b) on both sides of the road.

I was driving back from Galway today, and making other drivers insane by slowing down conscientiously to the limit for each section of road.

Then I got to the point after Lucan where there's a badly-signposted turn-off for Kilmainham.

Normally drivers go down this road like a bat out of hell, and I'm terrified looking for the turn, because you have to try to turn into the passing lane, to make the turn, into a stream of very fast traffic.

So I was going down it at the same speed as the approach to this section, when I was stopped by a garda, who grieved me by telling me that I was doing 120 in an 80k zone.

If I'd actually seen the signs, obviously I would have slowed down, but I was too busy watching for that awful turn, where you have to circle back on the road.

Ironic, really; all the way from Galway I'd been hearing on the radio about how the roads "throughout the country" were thronged with gardai, but I hadn't seen ary a one.

And obviously all the other drivers knew about it. What I assumed was a blocked lane with traffic crawling along it was all the drivers who'd sped past me on the way from Galway, shattering every speed limit they passed through! Now they were going nice and slow, obviously knowing there was likely to be a checkpoint ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

<Devils avocates hat on>Or they knew what speed was genuinely safe on that stretch of road but you were too busy looking for signposts telling you what speed to safely drive at to notice you no longer were?</end Devils avocate>

You honestly had no idea why the rest of the traffic was driving slower? hmmmmm

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You may well be right, Longfield.

I didn't think much about the reason most of the other drivers had slowed right down to a speed I've never seen before on that road - I kind of half-assumed that they were all slowing for left-hand turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

luckat wrote:
    Then I got to the point after Lucan where there's a badly-signposted turn-off for Kilmainham.

Normally drivers go down this road like a bat out of hell, and I'm terrified looking for the turn, because you have to try to turn into the passing lane, to make the turn, into a stream of very fast traffic.

So I was going down it at the same speed as the approach to this section, when I was stopped by a garda, who grieved me by telling me that I was doing 120 in an 80k zone.

Are you talking about the junction at Islandbridge, here:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.345018,-6.307096&spn=0.01199,0.028925&om=1
    ...? If so, the speed limit went from 120km/h on the M4 to 80 km/h past Lucan to 60 km/h through Palmerstown to 80km/h past Chapelizod to 60km/h approaching Islandbridge. Did you ignore all of those limits?

Advertisement