Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enslaved: Journey to the West

Options
  • 16-09-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

The demo for 'Enslaved: Odyssey to the West' was released onto the PSN last night. Did anyone else try it?

While it is a very basic demo, just going through the first level tutorial really, I was actually blown away. The game mechanics are very fluid and fast and the art style and environments are lush and beautiful. I also like the characters and the voice acting appears to be really good from the brief taste of it you get.

I think this just bounced from my 'Ignore' to my 'May Buy' list.

Wiki Link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enslaved:_Odyssey_to_the_West
    Trailer:

Screenshot:
    enslaved_09.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

cheers for that, gonna be a busy week for games when this and castlevania come out along with Medal of Honour.

The Male protagonist is voiced by Andy Serkis(Gollum in LOTR Trilogy)
    The company making the game expect/hope this to be in the same success league as Uncharted Series and for it to be their flagship title.

Being Downloaded as we speak....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Played the demo, and it was very good. The graphics were impressive, and I liked the platfroming and fighting bits. The game look like it will be very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just reading up on it and it looks very interesting, defo picking this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Been following this for a while, has been getting very good previews so far.

Demo was great, had watched all of it already on a Destructoid "First 15 minutes" video but still great to get me hands on it. Serkis does the voice of Monkey but also the mo-cap, hence the great animation and facial detail in the cutscenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Having never even heard of this game, that demo made me want this game. Sort of reminds me of Uncharted in a way. Think I'll pick this up when it goes down in price... I've too many games to complete at the moment :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It was one of the best looking games at Gamescom and not just because
    they had the best looking booth girl ;) Really looking forward to it.

IMG_1092.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Demo was very enjoyable.only a week to complete it before Vanquish comes out too....nice:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Impressed by the demo there: in the temporary absence of Uncharted 3 this will do nicely. Nice cinematic platforming, camera seemed a bit wonky at times but otherwise colour me interested. Definitely agree that the motion capture team and animators deserve a pat on the back for this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah camera felt kinda weird alright. Watching the video demo after it reminded me of prince of persistently of 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Holy crap, how did I miss this one? Haven't been paying any attention to it's development and hype surrounding it, so when I downloaded the demo last night it totally blew me away. Possibly the best graphics I've seen on a console this generation with vibrant, lively visuals that put the browns and greys that every game seems to be swamped by these days.

Gameplay wise it seems to take a big leaf from Unchartered 2's book but has a much deeper and complex fighting system. The whole thing just blew me away, can't wait until next Friday now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Yeah, agreed. It's pretty impressive alright. Better than the MMA demo that came out, good lord.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The demo is impressive, and all the reviews I've read have been pretty positive. As super_furry said, the vibrant visuals are a definite plus, and having a supposedly engaging storyline (written by Alex Garland) is always something I welcome. I doubt it will have the same 'wow' effect as Uncharted 2 last year, but in the absence of a new Nathan Drake adventure this will fill that gap nicely me thinks.

Serious praise is due to the character animators and Andy Serkis - if only all characters moved with the same weight and individuality of Monkey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard presentation wise it's excellent but the gameplya is a bit ho-hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,460 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I watched the first 15 minutes this morning (video embedded in Eurogamer review). Its basically a glorified tutorial, but gives a feel for the game. Looks great. Jumping is a bit clunky though (not fluid like POP, Uncharted)....

12 hours long too, which is a decent length.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This has been on my radar for a while not sure if ill get it today as ive a pile of games to clear out first and this one looks like it could take over my life for a good week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This has been on my radar for a while not sure if ill get it today as ive a pile of games to clear out first and this one looks like it could take over my life for a good week.

Good news so, it's not out until next Friday. Ran through the demo again yesterday, it really looks amazing.

Good news so, it's not out until next Friday. Ran through the demo again yesterday, it really looks amazing.

Yeah graphically I can't fault it. The setpiece in the demo works well too, feels like you're genuinely rushing against time. It's basically a tutorial, so hard to know how effective it will be in the end, but it's a better demo than Castlevania for sure, even though most are meant to be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Wow what an excellent demo, just got around to trying it now, the movement and jumping mechanic reminded me of Uncharted and the combat system of Batman Arkham Asylum, that's a very good combo to pull off. Seems like a sleeper hit! Deffo gonna pick this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Has anyone come across any console comparisons? Any big differences to be aware of?

From the guys that did Heavenly Sword, and I'm probably one of the few that thought that was an awesome game - specially in the mocap, acting and characterization departments. Defo picking this up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Branoic wrote: »
    Has anyone come across any console comparisons? Any big differences to be aware of?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-enslaved-demo-showdown-blog-entry

They only used the demo rather than the full game, but it should still give you an idea...

tman wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-enslaved-demo-showdown-blog-entry

They only used the demo rather than the full game, but it should still give you an idea...

Thanks. 360 it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Has anyone played the demo for this? I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! Getting decent enough reviews now too. Think I'll pick it up next friday when it's out, quite excited about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Just saw this thread... Have to be honest, I never heard of it until just now but ive checked all the usuals spots, google - youtube- gamespot and im really likeing what im seeing. Currentyl downloading the demo now which is a massive 1.2gb!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

I got to try this hands on at a work event and I was hugely impressed. Also fills me with confidence that it's pretty much Namco's sole major release and so would appear to have had dedicated attention paid to it, unlike other titles getting churned out where the script focus is minimal and the multiplayer gets the only proper attention.

Having played the XBL demo and getting a proper feel for the story I think this could be the game that finally properly bridges the gap between game and film. The camera angles are so beautifully cinematic and the story and acting seems to have come great merit to it, think I'll be picking it up at launch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Played the demo after I downloaded it last night and I cannot wait until Friday. Its beautiful! Slick the action is fun and crips. The soudntrack is atmospheric and the characters seem to have depth about them.

Also the story is written by Alex Garland, who wrote many Danny Boyle movies, The Beach, 28 Days Later/28 weeks Later, Sunshine. All amazing films!!
    Can see some of the 28Days later influence on it already.

Also Andy Serkis helped with the creative DIrector on the movement of Monkey! haha you can actually tell when looking at it!

Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Played the demo but then it froze on me, what I played I was impressed with. Wont get it on realese as there's just too many games to play and so little time. But will get it when it drops in price.

I can't wait for Friday either. Definitely picking this one up. It's advertised at €50 on Smyths website but I'm kinda hoping that it might only be €40 when it's out seeing as it's not a major title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Moiph wrote: »
    I can't wait for Friday either. Definitely picking this one up. It's advertised at €50 on Smyths website but I'm kinda hoping that it might only be €40 when it's out seeing as it's not a major title

No anyone with a loyalty card? Only €45 that way.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have a loyalty card, I'll definitely be using it!

Advertisement