Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANTI ATM MUGGING MEASURES

Options
  • 22-02-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

hi, I heard from a friend today that If your are being forced by a mugger to go to the ATM with your bank card and take out cash, You should put in your pin number in backwards, The money will still come out but the gardi will be called and the transaction will be flagged as fraud, which means the mugger will get the cash but will hopefully run away and Won't harm you, the gardi are notifide straight away and will come to where you are and hopefully catch them and you won't have lost any money! Sounds good but when I looked this story up on line it's only done in the America. Why not here?. It happened to a friend of mine when we where in college and poor girl was a mess after it.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Unfortunately, this is pure fiction - and doesn't work anywhere in the world.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Urban myth.

What if your pin is 2112? Do the police get called every time you make an ATM withdrawal or not at all?

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

What if your PIN is 1111?

Nonetheless, once my free iPhones i got for forwarding all those emails to my friends arrive, I'll certainly check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

surely you will have people/groups pretending to be mugged and getting free money from the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

why not just implement a system where you enter 9991 to display a message saying there are no funds available in the machine, swallow the card AND call the police.
    Then make 9991 unusable as a pin number.
    If people try to abuse the system or play silly buggers with it then they don't have a card and they have a charge for wasting police time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jimoc wrote: »
    why not just implement a system where you enter 9991 to display a message saying there are no funds available in the machine, swallow the card AND call the police.
    Then make 9991 unusable as a pin number.
    If people try to abuse the system or play silly buggers with it then they don't have a card and they have a charge for wasting police time.

But would the mugger not just look at you enter the pin and stab you if you enter 9991...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

But would the mugger not just look at you enter the pin and stab you if you enter 9991...

Very true!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Anyhoo, I think we've learned all we can here, so I'm gonna lock this now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement