Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAC Classic OS9 on Tiger

Options
  • 21-11-2005 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi, Does anybody know how to get OS9 Classic workong on Tiger? I'm trying to run Propellorheads Rebirth and the installation requires Classic. My system doesn't seem to have it. Can I download it from somewhere?

thanx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maccor

you need to get a copy of system 9.2 and install it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Tiger doesn't come with Classic, also it's no longer supported by Apple. So there's no way to install OS 9.2 on your machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Tiger doesn't come with Classic, also it's no longer supported by Apple. So there's no way to install OS 9.2 on your machine.

Not entirely true. OS 9.x can't be booted on later equipment but can be run in a classic environment.

Tiger comes with classic, you just need to install it from the Tiger Disk:

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Thanks! Just got it going. I was on my original Tiger install disks... Easy

Also, if you have on OS 9 system folder on another machine that is setup the way you like it, you can copy the folder onto the OS X machine and specify it as your classic folder.

• Advertisement

Not entirely true. OS 9.x can't be booted on later equipment but can be run in a classic environment.

Tiger comes with classic, you just need to install it from the Tiger Disk:

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/

In that link you posted, it says
    About using Mac OS 9 applications in Mac OS X
    If you need to use Mac OS 9 applications, you can do so in the Classic environment in Mac OS X. To use the Classic environment, you must have a Mac OS 9 System Folder installed on your computer, either on the same hard disk as Mac OS X, or on another disk or disk partition.

For best results using Mac OS X, upgrade your Mac OS 9 applications to the Mac OS X version. Check with the manufacturers for more information. You can also check the Mac OS X website for information about the latest applications for Mac OS X.

It says you can run Classic, and it says you have to have Mac OS 9 already installed.

But:
    I didn't find Classic on the Tiger DVD, it also doesn't say anything about Classic in all the Documentation I got from Apple.

Besides, Classic is no longer supported on Tiger. Call the hotline, tell them you have a problem with Classic on Tiger, they tell you it's not supported anymore. I tried that.

I didn't find Classic on the Tiger DVD, it also doesn't say anything about Classic in all the Documentation I got from Apple.

Thats interesting, what Mac do you have? It looks like some machines shipped with the packages for Classic, but not all. Any minis I have worked on had the package on the install disk and also a couple of iBooks....hmmmm

Thats interesting, what Mac do you have? It looks like some machines shipped with the packages for Classic, but not all. Any minis I have worked on had the package on the install disk and also a couple of iBooks....hmmmm

I have an iMac G5 and a PowerBook G4. On the Restore Discs which have Panther 10.3.4, there's the Classic Environment.

I bought Tiger alone when it came out, and did a Clean Install on both machines (I was never a fan of upgrades). I then saw Classic was gone, and it's not on my Install DVD, also it's not there under Optional Installs.

hmm, maybe its not on retail. The Macs I dealt with shipped with Tiger and had it on the disk, interesting....

That's really interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Maybe they're assuming that everyone who bought Tiger at retail already had a set of Panther/Jaguar install discs, with Classic environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I got it with my Macmini. OSX 10.4. I switched over from PC six months ago. I'm amazed at how easily things work in the Apple envoirnment!

Advertisement