Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do things float?

• 01-09-2014 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭

So I have a seemingly simple question that got me thinking for the past few minutes. Its almost half past one in the morning, so I am probably missing out something obvious.

Why exactly does the 'floatability' of an object depend on the ratio of its mass to the space occupied by such object?

If you can, please refer to the fundamental forces, because I find the term 'buoyancy' meaningless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

Heavier materials have "more" momentum (p = mv) than lighter materials.

Iron has a mass of ~26 water has a mass of ~18. When these two particles collide head on the momentum transfer results in the iron continuing on in the same direction, and the water being turned around and sent back the way it came, it "sinks." If we do the same with Carbon (mass ~12) the opposite happens, the water continues on in the same direction and the carbon turns around and "floats."

If we double the number of water particles, we double the density. The iron particle that was slowed down by the first water particle gets a 2nd kick by the 2nd water particle, which turns it around and causes it to "float".

The fundamental forces at play are primarily electrostatics, and gravitational, but any external force will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

Here are two videos that might be of interest. Watch the first one then go on to the second for the explanation. I think it's a pretty nice explanation/demonstration of buoyancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

OP, if you fully submerge an object in water, a volume equal to the submerged object is forced upwards - the level of water in the container rises. But gravity still acts on this displaced volume of water trying to bring it down again forcing the object, if it is light enough, upwards.

So the fundamental force is simply gravity. Another concept is density (mass per unit volume). If the object is the same density as water, then the displaced water will weigh the same as the object itself. The force of gravity on the object and the force of gravity on the displaced water will balance out. There will be no tendency for the object to move up or down. This is called neutral boyancy.

If the object is of lower density than water then the displaced water will weigh more than the object. The water will win out in the gravitational battle and the object will rise and the displaced water fall. This is called positive boyancy.

If the object is of higher desnity than water then the submerged object will weigh more than the displaced water and will sink. This is negative boyancy.

It is like two weights on a see-saw. The heavier object falls and the ligher object rises. But it is simply gravity acting on both objects to different degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Heavier materials have "more" momentum (p = mv) than lighter materials.

Iron has a mass of ~26 water has a mass of ~18. When these two particles collide head on the momentum transfer results in the iron continuing on in the same direction, and the water being turned around and sent back the way it came, it "sinks." If we do the same with Carbon (mass ~12) the opposite happens, the water continues on in the same direction and the carbon turns around and "floats."

If we double the number of water particles, we double the density. The iron particle that was slowed down by the first water particle gets a 2nd kick by the 2nd water particle, which turns it around and causes it to "float".

The fundamental forces at play are primarily electrostatics, and gravitational, but any external force will do.

Though a sufficiently large, hollow iron ball will also float.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Thank you for your answers guys, but I still don't understand how the volume of displaced water is causing the upward force.

• Advertisement

Mario95 wrote: »
    Thank you for your answers guys, but I still don't understand how the volume of displaced water is causing the upward force.

It's not the volume of displaced water that is pushing the object upwards. It is the water underneath the object. The water pushes the object upwards with a force that's larger than the object's gravitational force.

More fundamentally, the water molecules bombard the bottom of the object, pushing it upwards. If the object is fully submerged, the molecules will bombard the object from all sides, but there will be more bombardment underneath the object, as the water will be more dense below the object, and so the object will still rise. An object will sink if its gravitational force is large enough to overcome the bombardment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Morbert wrote: »
    as the water will be more dense below the object, and so the object will still rise.
    I think "at higher pressure" rather than "more dense" is probably a better way of putting it as a completely incompressible fluid would still cause objects to float if the object is less dense on average than the fluid. The pressure on the lower side of the object would still be higher than the top side.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    I think "at higher pressure" rather than "more dense" is probably a better way of putting it as a completely incompressible fluid would still cause objects to float if the object is less dense on average than the fluid. The pressure on the lower side of the object would still be higher than the top side.

Yeah I shouldn't have referenced density. It would be more generally correct to say the increase in the bombardment is due to the weight of the surrounding fluid being greater at the bottom of the object.

Advertisement