Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer science to Electronic Engineering?

Options
  • 01-09-2014 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I am a graduate in computer science but am not all that interested in pure software engineering. I just happened to be living with electronic engineers (Who work in places like Texas Instruments) for the past while and the whole area of semiconductors fascinates me. I have researched into EE careers and jobs like validation engineer /verification engineer seem extremely interesting.

Like this job! :

Day in the Life - Validation Engineer:
    youtu.be/SfCRvfBWuwg

I love the idea of having hardware and software components to you job. Actually handling/testing IC's and them perhaps using computer models and languages to further test and develop them just seems more interesting to me than computer science related jobs. It may sound childish, but the idea of working on our creating something physical just sparks motivation rather than the pure software side (Not that I hate it or anything like that, just the nuances of programming languages don't tickle me like other people)

Now, what would it take for me to move over to that area? It is not a world away I feel but I would be lacking core EE knowledge I would say. Would a masters be an idea? Perhaps chancing getting a job in the industry and learning from there? I am only 24 so I have my chance now I guess. I know software is the hot thing now and I can do it fine but I know my heart just isn't in it.

All feedback, good or bad, greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I'd say lash in some applications. Write a cover letter basically saying above in pretty English. The transition wouldn't be too tough. I had a colleague when I was in Intel who had a media studies (More technically focused) degree and he got on fine. Don't do a masters unless you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Why not look at embedded systems? You already understand software so you'll just need to gain an understanding of how hardware works. You'll need to learn how to send information in / out of microprocessor ports and communication peripherals. If your looking to do some learning on the side check out the arduino...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

UL does a Masters in VLSI design. Analog have a large design and test operation in Limerick employing nearly 800 technical staff. Test is becoming a bottle neck due to device complexity. Would expect there are good job opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cillit_bang

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I saw that masters in UL actually. It looks very good. I will look into it more.

I was actually in Intel before, great company. Certainly the type that once you are in, you can move where you want once you have the initiative.

I have a bit of research to do! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

boege wrote: »
    UL does a Masters in VLSI design. Analog have a large design and test operation in Limerick employing nearly 800 technical staff. Test is becoming a bottle neck due to device complexity. Would expect there are good job opportunities.

Can you elaborate on "Test is becoming a bottle neck due to device complexity" please. I am currently doing an undergraduate in Electronic and Computer Engineering and I am worried about future job prospects as I do not see nearly as many job posts for Electronic Engineers as I do for Mechanical and Software etc...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hello,

I love the idea of having hardware and software components to you job. Actually handling/testing IC's and them perhaps using computer models and languages to further test and develop them just seems more interesting to me than computer science related jobs. It may sound childish, but the idea of working on our creating something physical just sparks motivation rather than the pure software side (Not that I hate it or anything like that, just the nuances of programming languages don't tickle me like other people)

!

No need to feel that way at all. I graduated with a computer science degree and after all there isn't a hope in hell of me going into any kind of software development even despite being quite competent at programming. I find the whole thing utterly tedious in the extreme. Once you've seen one algorithm you've seen them all AFAIC. Do you realize how much study it takes keep yourself versed in all the latest languages and so on ( im sure you do ). Way more that I could every be slightly interested in wasting my weekends and time off on. Consider yourself lucky you can get out of it and good luck. I really think your doing the right think for yourself and please don't change your mind !

Advertisement