Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on this laptop from Lidl please..

Options
  • 22-08-2014 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im in the market for a new laptop and I saw this advertised in Lidl the other day and Im just wondering if people think its a good deal and if you ever had any experience with products like this from Lidl.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=259

I currently have a Toshiba and its lasted years, its an old model that doesn't even have a HD port.

All I will be really doing on this new Laptop is browsing the net, some Word, Excel etc, and streaming movies from the Laptop to my TV via my HD cable(im currently using an external hard drive,) that's it really so nothing special.

Any opinions on whats on offer in the link would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kamik

I dont know that model but,
    I have only ever bought 3 electrical items from Lidl and, ALL 4 had to be brought back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Kamik wrote: »
    I dont know that model but,
    I have only ever bought 3 electrical items from Lidl and, ALL 4 had to be brought back.

How does that work? some kind of scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Full details here \/
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=11751

For your purposes, I'd say it could be a good option, although I'm sure others here will suggest something better :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

norbert64 wrote: »
    Full details here \/
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=11751

For your purposes, I'd say it could be a good option, although I'm sure others here will suggest something better :P

I'll take all suggestions from anyone, if someone can maybe point me to a better Laptop for a similar price id really appreciate it.

350-400 is my price range but im flexible!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not bad value and the laptop is fine for normal use but if you don't want those extras - which aren't worth much anyway - you can get the same spec laptop from amazon for €275 delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kamik

cerastes wrote: »
    How does that work? some kind of scam?
    the replacement for one went back too!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gerrykin22

Tesco have a toshiba laptop for 279 euro at the moment.
    It has 4gb and 500 gb. Not sure of the other specs.
    Might be worth a look if you dont need the bundle items from lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I bought three televisions from lidl and aldi and all stopped working within the year.
    Keep your receipt if you do buy it as you are entitled to repair,refund or replacement if product develops a fault within the guarantee period,its usually three years in the German Discounters.

Kamik wrote: »
    the replacement for one went back too!

ahhaha good come back
    except
    the statute of limitations for comebacks was yesterday, minutes after the comment :D
    Mary63 wrote: »
    I bought three televisions from lidl and aldi and all stopped working within the year.
    Keep your receipt if you do buy it as you are entitled to repair,refund or replacement if product develops a fault within the guarantee period,its usually three years in the German Discounters.

Some of you are having bad luck with Laldi, Id have stopped buying after the second one, I dont watch that much tv though anyway. I dont know about the tv components or manufacture but Id have thought the components for laptops were a bit more standardised? Id have a look at the medion/tevion? brands if I needed one and the price was right.
    I agree, keep your receipt (for any retailer), but make a scanned copy of it while its still new (the receipt) a kind of receipt for your receipt, I do think they (Laldi) use invisible ink, you might take the receipt out to use it and find the proof has all but evaporated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

If i was ever going to buy anything other than pasta from lidl again that is a good idea.
    The TVS were good value and as long as I could get my money back I was happy enough.
    ALDI gave me grief over the third TV though,the manufacturere had gone out of business,not surprising when the TVS kept breaking,Aldi tried to fob me off with half my money back even though I had the receipt,message learnt,never buy anything electrical in Aldi again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Hi, Im in the market for a new laptop and I saw this advertised in Lidl the other day and Im just wondering if people think its a good deal and if you ever had any experience with products like this from Lidl.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=259

I currently have a Toshiba and its lasted years, its an old model that doesn't even have a HD port.

All I will be really doing on this new Laptop is browsing the net, some Word, Excel etc, and streaming movies from the Laptop to my TV via my HD cable(im currently using an external hard drive,) that's it really so nothing special.

Any opinions on whats on offer in the link would be appreciated, thanks.
    This one from elara.ie is much better than the one in Lidl and has an i3 processor. http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2829257

How do you know though?
    Im asking that on the basis of what I did notice, there's not much in the way of info on the spec on the Lidl ad, unless you got it from elara too (the spec)?

cerastes wrote: »
    How do you know though?
    Im asking that on the basis of what I did notice, there's not much in the way of info on the spec on the Lidl ad, unless you got it from elara too (the spec)?
    I got the spec from elara, as for the one in Lidl for that price it definitely hasn't got an i3 also look for processor speed, the higher the speed the better the processor usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

The Toshiba C50 is available in Currys/PC World for 279.99

200motels wrote: »
    I got the spec from elaa, as for the one in Lidl for that price it definitely hasn't got an i3 also look for processor speed, the higher the speed the better the processor usually.

Seems its not the deal (price) it appeared to be,
    I saw the spec on a printed Lidl advert in the paper today, but it wasnt online, goes to show a little bit of research and helping advice can save you a few quid.
    Its probably an ok laptop but it seems better and cheaper can be gotten elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

I'd be going for the below Dell Laptop. Same Specs and at least you won't be fecked around with the one year warranty. Only 250 euro

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3531-laptop/pd?oc=cn53102

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Great price on that laptop Dowl88 but no DVD drive. Was considering getting it but no drive is off-putting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dave842

The machine referred to by tinofapples as being €279 in Currys/PCworld is a C50-B-14D and doesn't have an optical drive either. The C50-B-139 is a nice machine, and was €299 in PowerCity. They sold out about 10 days ago. Would have liked to get one.

I too was looking at the ad for the Lidl machine, Cerastes, you say you saw the spec in the paper, does it have an optical drive? If they'd just print the FULL model number it'd make everything so much easier. Just "C50" could mean almost anything. DID had 2GB Toshiba Satellite laptops for €249, with optical drive, and they were C50-B-137. They're gone now too. I was thinking that (with a bit of courage) I could have opened it and fitted a 4GB RAM (1333 MHz DDR3).

I think I'm going to go for a C50-B-14D, and buy an external optical drive from amazon. There was a brand name one for just under £20 (just after looking, it has fluctuated to £21.49), but there's a cheaper one for £12.80 with decent reviews (albeit some people report problems changing the DVD region).

I don't like using amazon too much, I think they erode conventional retailing, and provide tough, crappy, insecure, poorly remunerated jobs wherever they build a (often state subsidized) "fulfillment center". I am going by an article by Carole Cadwalladr for the Observer, published in the run-up to last Christmas, when some people I follow on twitter were saying to avoid doing Christmas shopping from amazon. The BBC Panorama also did a piece where an undercover reporter worked for Amazon in Swansea. A stress expert concluded that work conditions there could bring on "mental and physical illness". I thought up till then that amazon was brilliant. I have always found their customer service to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Toshiba C50-A-1DV from Argos on eBay delivered to Parcelmotel for €305

2.4GHz i3-3110M
    1TB Hard Drive
    4GB RAM

My sister bought one of these .It arrived today and I popped in a Samsung eVo 840 120gb SSD into it and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1. The laptop boots in 10 seconds and can be use instantly.Super quick

The laptop and SSD cost €395 total . If you buy a 2nd Hard drive caddy you can take out the optical drive and stick the 1TB hard drive into the SATA port(Where the optical drive is )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360950885935?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That one in Aldi is a Processor: Intel® N2830 thats probably the slowest CPU you can buy in a new laptop. Its a Celeron/Atom. Its fine for basic stuff. But its a long way off a Pentium or i3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 EarnestH

I would not recommend buying a laptop from Lidl since you will have little come back if anything goes wrong. As other posters have said you can get a cheaper latop elsehwere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

EarnestH wrote: »
    I would not recommend buying a laptop from Lidl since you will have little come back if anything goes wrong. As other posters have said you can get a cheaper latop elsehwere

Yeah Im not going for the Lidl one.

I'll probably look for something a bit more expensive, bit more powerful and more space maybe.

But as I said I wont be doing a hell of a lot on it so I dont want to go overboard, all I'll be doing is just some Word, Spreadsheets and the like, Downloading and just general browsing the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 EarnestH

Yeah Im not going for the Lidl one.

I'll probably look for something a bit more expensive, bit more powerful and more space maybe.

But as I said I wont be doing a hell of a lot on it so I dont want to go overboard, all I'll be doing is just some Word, Excel and Spreadsheets, Downloading and just general browsing the internet.

Not point in paying big money - it will be obsolete in six months anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would not recommend buying a laptop from Lidl since you will have little come back if anything goes wrong....

How so?
    Not point in paying big money - it will be obsolete in six months anyway!!

Can you give an example of a big money laptop that is obsolete in 6 months?

beauf wrote: »
    How so?

Can you give an example of a big money laptop that is obsolete in 6 months?
    I agree, I have a laptop from 2007 and it still works away no bother, yes it's not up to today's standards but it's only used for browsing and it does that just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭joostl

The screen is horrible

Advertisement