Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tie-Dying Tips

• 27-08-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I have a large group of students for a craft class.

I am thinking of tie dying fabric and then getting them to sew the fabric into a tote bag and embellishing it as they like.

If you have any tips for this or advice for doing this with a large group say 24, I'd really appreciate it as I have never tie dyed before! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

You can buy cotton bags in ALDI very cheaply - it works out much cheaper than buying cotton and trying to make bags yourself. They dont have these bags all the time though - check up at the till counter.

Use elastics rather than string Make sure knots are very tight

Other tips would be to have lots and lots of newspaper to put on the ground near the sinks.

Make sure to have lots of rubber gloves - the hands turn the colour of the dye

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Red Hare wrote: »
    You can buy cotton bags in ALDI very cheaply - it works out much cheaper than buying cotton and trying to make bags yourself. They dont have these bags all the time though - check up at the till counter.

Use elastics rather than string Make sure knots are very tight

Other tips would be to have lots and lots of newspaper to put on the ground near the sinks.

Make sure to have lots of rubber gloves - the hands turn the colour of the dye

Thanks for the help.

The module is for eight weeks so I think making the bags or a cushion would develop their sewing skills and creative side.

I have seen some tutorials on youtube, I'm thinking the squeezy bottle method looks good but messy. Its where you can dye the fabric a few diff colours. Has anyone ever tried this? It would definitely look more visual than one plain colour.

Plenty of newspaper would be essential!

Advertisement