Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SOAP!

• 24-07-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there,
    wondering if any of you can give me some advice on this....
    Ive been making soap for a while now, I've got a few different ones I make, and am suddenly having requests from friends and family for more of it.
    So.......I'm thinking why not try to sell it?!
    I've got my head around setting up a company, tax and all that bit but the problem I'm having is finding out about the legalities of the actual soap production, i.e. is there a governing body I need to register with? Do I need to send samples away for testing?
    I want to start with farmers markets and maybe approach a few shops down the line if it all goes well, but I'm nervous of somebody with a clipboard approaching me looking for my 'papers'!!
    Any help on this would be much appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,777 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You really don't need to get involved in any formalities at all, no company, tax, whatever - just pay for your spot at the farmers' market and see how it goes. You are not likely to be selling enough - initially at least - to worry about VAT, tax etc. AFAIK you can earn a certain amount at craft shows and farmers markets without having to be concerned about tax, you could ask in the tax office if that is still the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Thanks for that, you gave me the answer I was hoping for - phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

There are regulations governing the production of soap and body-care items. I know a couple of people who started small and then went into business but I'm not sure at what stage they had to be licensed. I do know that they needed someone to come and inspect where the soap was being made (to comply with hygiene regulations) and products had to be sent off to be tested. They also had to label correctly (I think it was to do with allergens).
    If you're just starting out, at least make sure that everything is labelled with a list of ingredients.

I did find a link for UK regs: http://www.health-concern.com/Courses/Crafts/soap/FAQ.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Well done on starting a little business- hobby!

I started up a Facebook page to sell my cards a week ago and I've already sold a few through it. Maybe look at that as an option to start yourself off.

The Farmer's Market is a great idea too, or even local carboot sales. Due to the fact that a lot of carbooters sell the same stuff, something like handmade soap will go down a treat. I've had a good experience selling my cards at carboot sales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Lillylilly wrote: »
    Well done on starting a little business- hobby!

I started up a Facebook page to sell my cards a week ago and I've already sold a few through it. Maybe look at that as an option to start yourself off.

Have you a link for the facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Bob Z wrote: »
    Have you a link for the facebook page

Here they are :)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001340123643&v=wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LilyBeans

I had to jump in here....:D

I used to be a soapmaker here in the USA until I took a full-time job (mortgage - ouch!). I made about 1700 bars per year and did really well.

Once you've used homemade soap, you'll never go back to store bought. Good luck with your new venture!

PS- if you want a good tip, the stuff that really sold well here was the clear glycerine soap poured into a clear bag with a tiny plastic goldfish in it. Here in the States, people win goldfish at local carnivals & stuff, and they always send them home in a bag. The soap looks just like those and were a huge hit! Another idea - for wedding favors, make clear glycerine soap and drop 2 fake wedding bands into it. :p Have fun with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nosey99

Hey there,
    wondering if any of you can give me some advice on this....
    Ive been making soap for a while now, I've got a few different ones I make, and am suddenly having requests from friends and family for more of it.
    So.......I'm thinking why not try to sell it?!
    I've got my head around setting up a company, tax and all that bit but the problem I'm having is finding out about the legalities of the actual soap production, i.e. is there a governing body I need to register with? Do I need to send samples away for testing?
    I want to start with farmers markets and maybe approach a few shops down the line if it all goes well, but I'm nervous of somebody with a clipboard approaching me looking for my 'papers'!!
    Any help on this would be much appreciated, Thanks

Hi good luck with your business, I think you will do will with it at Farmers Markets. Make sure you have a nice little label/sticker on the soap with your details for re-ordering! Can I ask where you get your soap making supplies - I've been dying to try making some lotions and potions. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

To be honest, I've just been tinkering around with stuff I found around town here, veg fat, coconut oil and essential oils ets, but I have found a great website for bulk buying -

www.justasoap.co.uk

Good luck, it's very exciting watching these things work out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭ladymary

Sauve can i ask how u got on , i am just about to start making soap for family mostly with the hope to have a little stall in local market once i get going....any advice or pitfalls to look out for..

• Advertisement
Advertisement