Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post dated cheques

Options
  • 23-02-2010 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

Wondered if any of you can help me. I recently sent a chque for a bill dated 25/2/10. After checking my account today the cheque has been banked. The company say that there is no way the bank would of accepted it and therfore blame me for not post dating the cheque. I need to get a copy of the cheque so I can see whos mistake it was. Do I ask the company to do it or my bank? Im facing charges which I cant afford so if it wasnt my mistake i want to be reimburshed.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Given the cheque was cashed the bank now has the cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I would not send post dated cheques to pay for things. If you dont want to pay it until the 25th dont pay it unitl the 25th. You are assuming other people are going to do their job properly and that is a dangerous assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tonim84

kmick wrote: »
    I would not send post dated cheques to pay for things. If you dont want to pay it until the 25th dont pay it unitl the 25th. You are assuming other people are going to do their job properly and that is a dangerous assumption.

I know this now and will not make the mistake again thats for sure.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Given the cheque was cashed the bank now has the cheque

forgive me for being dumb lol, but which bank? mine or the companies bank.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Your bank will have the cheque. Also they should not have processed it until the date on the cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Found on http://www.howbankingworks.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=32

A space is provided for the date of issuance of the cheque. The date should not be used for any other purpose. Post-dated cheques are not valid cheques, and all banks reserve the right to ignore the date. A cheque is regarded as out-of-date 6 months after the date shown on the cheque. A bank will normally return a cheque unpaid if it is presented after that date, but it is not obliged to do so. Normally, the drawer will be prepared to amend the date and initial the amendment, or alternatively, issue a new cheque. If the drawer is not so prepared, then the payee can use the unpaid cheque to initiate court proceedings against the payee.

If a bank gets a cheque, no matter what date is on it, they are gonna cash/lodge it.

jimoc wrote: »
    If a bank gets a cheque, no matter what date is on it, they are gonna cash/lodge it.

Many thanks for that. Thats very helpful. Ive spoken to my bank who are sending me a copy of my cheque and have also advised that as a goodwill gesture they will refund any charges.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Bank tellers don't always double check dates on cheques especially if its from a customer who lodges quite a few.

An alternative which I have used on occasion is to use forward dated payments on the internet banking and copy & paste the confirmation to the person you are sending it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Banks do not check every chq for post dating. There is a limit on which (ie 10k)they are and this varies from bank to bank.

Your lucky to get a refund cause your really not entitled to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Are you sure you can dispute a cheque being cashed because it was postdated when it's cashed before the date on the cheque?

I thought it was fraudulent to write a postdated cheque...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Its not fraudulent as such, but a post dated cheque is not valid.

See post number 7

Advertisement