Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing iTunes library on network drive

Options
  • 22-11-2005 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

ok, heres the situation.

I have a network file server (running windoze) and a number of Macs with itunes. The first mac has the itunes store folder on the server.

Now, how do I share this library with the other macs. ive tried all the obvious things like mapping the other iTunes Macs to the folder on the network, consolidating the library and so on.

The in-built sharing ability in iTunes is no use on this setup, the music must be stored on the file server as I am also running silmserver on the machine: http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_features.html

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Well, you could leave whatever computer is using the network drive as a store folder running iTunes 24x7 (assuming you want to share through iTunes), or you could probably look into a linux box or similar running howl & daapd?

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

ive tried all the obvious things like mapping the other iTunes Macs to the folder on the network

I would've thought that would work. Did you ar5e round with permissions on the iTunes folder on the server and all directories under it? Make it group or world writeable / readable whatever?

HC

Advertisement