Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hall of shame

• 28-06-2011 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

I often see things in work and shake my head thinking, what donkeys/what were they thinking/it's not often you see that

Hows about a thread for pics or stories of thing you see that are just plain wrong..

IMG00160-20110627-1406-1.jpg

Sprinter van, they have a habit of the handbrake sticking, these cash in transit boys were not on for stopping though. Only was noticed when they got a tyre put on. :eek:

IMG00121-20110603-1659.jpg

Tame enough, starter ran with the engine, eventually it stalled it. Driver though he could hear a whizzing noise when he revved it

IMG00147-20110620-1710.jpg

This was in for a test. Seriously, whoever put all those weights on wants a kick in the plums

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Christ...this could be a long list!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

My dad told me about his cortina in the 70s, engine knackered, the turrets held apart by a length of angle iron and the rust painted over...

A modern day example is my restoration thread from another site. It goes wrong from here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

if the white van man had one of these babies he would'nt have to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Christ...this could be a long list!:eek:

Well they are only from the last few weeks. Generally I see something bat schit crazy most days! Like the guy who took an angle grinder to Renault Trafic discs after I failed them for being in scutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Had a car in work a couple of days ago with an oil leak. When I had a look I saw it was coming from the sump. Some have-a-go-hero was at it before me and there was silicone everywhere.
    I went to take the sump off to do a proper job on it and I discovered 4 of the sump bolts had been snapped off and the heads of them glued back on to make it look like everything was ok! All I could do was laugh!

• Advertisement

I owned a 325i E30 a few years ago, was a bit overzealous on a back road and walloped the sump. Some f**ker had been there before me and there was half an inch of filler all across the bottom of the sump! They had even sprayed it silver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

This came in tuesday for an abs fault:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Customer complaining of a bad noise from the brakes

61873_154551854575979_118783858152779_317660_2516743_n.jpg

Another customer came in complaining of bad brakes, his nearside rear pads had fallen out.

This week a chap arrived in with a rattle from his exhaust, it was sorted fairly quickly and then he was discussing adding a bit of power, the first thing our lads do is have a general look over the car, the mechanic noticed the car had no coolant, he filled it up and the customer asked 'are you waiting for the fan to come on' when he said yes the customer told him he removed the thermostat to improve cooling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

IMG_3971.jpg

I seen this on another forum. Nct failure????:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

This is great stuff, keep the pics coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Customer drives in complaining of van being down on power and a bit of a knock coming from the engine.

269892_10150235289386695_728281694_7704975_7563447_n.jpg

Just had a customer in with his BMW 520 with a knackered gearbox and lots a blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. The 2 problems are connected!

He changed his own engine oil last weeked...who'd like to guess how he caused both problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Just had a customer in with his BMW 520 with a knackered gearbox and lots a blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. The 2 problems are connected!

He changed his own engine oil last weeked...who'd like to guess how he caused both problems?
    drained the gearbox oil then over filled the engine oil?

Spot on...you win a lollipop:D

Warning: lollipop not actually included in prize!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

proof that poor maintenance is worse than no maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

My father had a Fiat 125 back in the 70s. He did most of his own maintenance, but the frost plugs needed to be done and he didn't have the tools to do it. He decided to leave the car into a well known Dublin based Fiat dealer who did the job and charged him a fortune.

A year later, the head gasket went and he tackled the job himself. He found the the old frost plugs were pushed into the head and the new ones fitted. He could have done that himself and it's the last time he let any main dealer near one of his cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Today one of the Polish guys doing a first service on a petrol fiesta. Only 4000 miles but it was 8 years old:eek: The filter had nearly rusted through fully, it was the worst I've seen. No pictures though:(

When the mechanic was making up a service sticker he jokingly said to me in broken English 'Next service due 10000 miles or 2019' I lol'd:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was under my car a couple of weeks back to change the oil. The missus came out and starts talking to me so I got distracted and moved about a bit, looked back up at the drain plug above my head and opened it without thinking. Straight away I was like, ah crap and then got tha sweet smell.

At least I knew what I'd done.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Plug wrote: »
    Today one of the Polish guys doing a first service on a petrol fiesta. Only 4000 miles but it was 8 years old:eek: The filter had nearly rusted through fully, it was the worst I've seen. No pictures though:(

When the mechanic was making up a service sticker he jokingly said to me in broken English 'Next service due 10000 miles or 2019' I lol'd:pac:

I thought service need to do every year, regardless mileage. :eek: :confused:

Mar4ix wrote: »
    I thought service need to do every year, regardless mileage. :eek: :confused:
    You need to have a service once a year or the given mileage(lets say 10000) which ever comes first. The mechanic was only taking the piss.

• Advertisement

Plug wrote: »
    You need to have a service once a year or the given mileage(lets say 10000) which ever comes first. The mechanic was only taking the piss.

A friend of mine's mother has a fiesta which she has insisted I service every year since new(06).....at the last service it had 4500 miles on it:eek:

ScreenHunter_01_Aug_23_0003.gif

Brake disc has come completely apart between the vents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I recently saw a VAG car with the same problem, and that was with OE discs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Break all ties

Left my car into a main stealer to have it's brakes done for the MOT. They replaced the master cylinder, front pads and rear shoes. Brakes were actually worse when I got the car back.
    Reason, the fcukers never bled the air from the system. :mad:

This problem is not as dramatic looking as some of the above but is likely to be much more expensive:eek:

Customers(boards member) 2005 BMW 318ci came in as a non start. I turned it over and you could tell there was no compression which a leakdown test confirmed with 70-80% pressure loss. On such a new engine with fairly low miles and seemingly well serviced I though the only cause could be a failed chain/tensioner which this engine can suffer from

First thing was to remove the rocker cover to check the state of the chain, this revealed the actual problem....

The valvetronic actuator has actually snapped off causing the intake valves to remain slightly open, hence the non start and cylinder pressure loss.

A 1k+ part from BMW just snapped off.....wtf

DSCF2249.jpg

The small piece arrowed down behind the valvetronic cam should be attached where the second arrow is pointing
    DSCF2252_1.jpg

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!

310388_254778017889506_100000719285381_822489_1315041_n.jpg

It still hasn't parted company!

I was out to a truck in Grange Co Sligo where the wheel bounced that high it actually broke a streetlight!

Slidey wrote: »
    It still hasn't parted company!

I was out to a truck in Grange Co Sligo where the wheel bounced that high it actually broke a streetlight!

Holy Fcuk...I got that pic on the well boss thread over.. There is a few videos on youtube of wheels coming off, not a great show driving up the road and your wheel passing you out...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I sent my car into a garage recently and leaving they said that the brake pads need doing soon, I said id get back to them. I checked them that day and saw plenty of wear left on them.
    Some time later the car went back for head repair and they rang me up and asked did I want the pads done too as they were really bad. I declined again thinking what the hell are they on about there is loads of wear left in them.
    well Got back to the house and had a good look at the pads. This time I checked the drivers side which I found to be worn down to the last. The passenger side was almost like new.
    I had these replaced maybe two years ago. No I dont use my brakes a lot ;)
    So here' what I removed - this is one pad from the Drivers side and one from the passenger side.
    882855f7-9df3-4c39-81e3-a6c21256370a.jpg

so your thinking "you got a stuck calliper there mate!" well no... looking at the rear of the pads its easy to see that one is a lot older than the other.
    69fd508e-98cd-4062-a04d-3acd05e0fbf9.jpg

These were replaced by a garage - they have since moved so I have no comeback and no receipt
    How they only replaced one side I really don't know. cutting corners or just human error. They replaced the side that has the wear sensor so it would have been a long time before I would have got a warning light!

I rarely go to a garage and from now on I will be putting a big box in the boot for any old parts that are replaced so I can see what they have changed...

• Advertisement

JoeySully wrote: »
    I sent my car into a garage recently and leaving they said that the brake pads need doing soon, I said id get back to them. I checked them that day and saw plenty of wear left on them.
    Some time later the car went back for head repair and they rang me up and asked did I want the pads done too as they were really bad. I declined again thinking what the hell are they on about there is loads of wear left in them.
    well Got back to the house and had a good look at the pads. This time I checked the drivers side which I found to be worn down to the last. The passenger side was almost like new.
    I had these replaced maybe two years ago. No I dont use my brakes a lot ;)
    So here' what I removed - this is one pad from the Drivers side and one from the passenger side.

so your thinking "you got a stuck calliper there mate!" well no... looking at the rear of the pads its easy to see that one is a lot older than the other.
    69fd508e-98cd-4062-a04d-3acd05e0fbf9.jpg

These were replaced by a garage - they have since moved so I have no comeback and no receipt
    How they only replaced one side I really don't know. cutting corners or just human error. They replaced the side that has the wear sensor so it would have been a long time before I would have got a warning light!

I rarely go to a garage and from now on I will be putting a big box in the boot for any old parts that are replaced so I can see what they have changed...

I don't think one looks newer then the other. The shiney silver part in the top pad in the picture sits inside the caliper piston so is hidden and protected from dirt/rust etc.

There is no advantage to even the most moronic of mechanic to only changing 1 pad as the exact same amount or work is required to change one as both.

I'm betting you do have a sticking slider....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I don't think one looks newer then the other. The shiney silver part in the top pad in the picture sits inside the caliper piston so is hidden and protected from dirt/rust etc.

There is no advantage to even the most moronic of mechanic to only changing 1 pad as the exact same amount or work is required to change one as both.

I'm betting you do have a sticking slider....

Have a read again ;)
    this is one pad from the Drivers side and one from the passenger side.

JoeySully wrote: »
    Have a read again ;)

hmmmm, I'd still be having the calipers properly checked...

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!

310388_254778017889506_100000719285381_822489_1315041_n.jpg

How the f*ck did she do that??????? Maybe a warning to stay away from Schmitz trailers???:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

How the f*ck did she do that??????? Maybe a warning to stay away from Schmitz trailers???:eek::eek::eek:

I'm guessing the wheel was off very recently, and not tightened, or torqued up fully. Any time I've seen a wheel get loose, it's almost certinaly a day or so after the wheel been taken off for some reason or another. If it's on a trailer, you probably wouldn't know much was wrong till the wheel started to make noise, and by then, the damage was done.

The Russian driver had no wheel brace to tighten them because he sold it...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The Russian driver had no wheel brace to tighten them because he sold it...;)

Doubtful that he got the price of a rim and a set of studs though....

Just wondering though, all the nuts would have to loosen a lot for that to happen, any chance that the wheel was put back on without the outside set of cones inside the nuts? I've seen something kinda like this before on a trailer I was looking at to buy. The inside cones stayed on the studs when the wheel was taken off, the outside set never went back on and the nut face was flat. Bingo, whole lot goes in sh1t in a very short time.

I didn't buy the trailer.

IMG-20111105-00137.jpg

Another brake disc that broke while driving.

Haven't seen that happen to a transit before. Most of been very noisy! Do you use that special tool to push out the bearing and disk?

Yeah, I think it is commonly referred to as a hammer sledge.

First time doing one that I can remember. I ended up taking off the whole stub assy and giving it a putting in a large pin off a digger and one shot of the sledge got it moving

Nothing to photograph but today I had a 99 micra automatic in.

He wanted a full NCT inspection and it needed a fair few quid of work done to get it right, brake lines, shocks, front panel rusty etc BUT when I checked the coolant it was full of oil, closer inspection showed the water pump was leaking badly and diagnostics confirmed the head gasket was gone.

When told the customer he said, ah yeah its been like that for ages, I just keep topping it up and when its gets hot just pull over and let it cool down!

He told us to leave the head gasket and gave us the go ahead to do all the other required work:confused::confused::confused::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Nothing to photograph but today I had a 99 micra automatic in.

He wanted a full NCT inspection and it needed a fair few quid of work done to get it right, brake lines, shocks, front panel rusty etc BUT when I checked the coolant it was full of oil, closer inspection showed the water pump was leaking badly and diagnostics confirmed the head gasket was gone.

When told the customer he said, ah yeah its been like that for ages, I just keep topping it up and when its gets hot just pull over and let it cool down!

He told us to leave the head gasket and gave us the go ahead to do all the other required work:confused::confused::confused::eek:
    he he ... soon he will change engine. I just recently finished with my micra engine and headgasket work, will post soon in to what i did on my car thread.
    those lil micras are incredibly reliable.

Today an LED off the side of a transit exploded and blew the lamp across the workshop. How in fecks name did that happen?:D

If the tippex writing means what it looks like it means(customer has just bought the car) then its yet more proof that you can't trust what work has been done previously done on a car:eek:

DSCF2530.jpg

'she just got a timing belt and anti freeze pump fitted':D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

Maybe it's "Aqua Pump" ;)

Or maybe it's a really fancy timing belt made by "Abercrombie and Pitch" :D

If only the car even had a timing belt:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

If only the car even had a timing belt:eek:

OH right Ted!

How am I only noticing this now...

Heres some pics of my van as I stripped it down and built it up...

Ok not uncommon
    Image02131.jpg

8v timing belt on a 16v
    Image0238.jpg

So wheres the clutch?
    Image0240.jpg

3 piece clutch?
    Image02421.jpg

When I lifted the box...
    Image0249.jpg

My side strips were refitted using....
    Image0267.jpg

They missed this
    Image0294.jpg

You can see the shoddy crash repair on the other side...
    Image03121.jpg

Then we move onto ball joints...
    Image08811.jpg

Not to mention lots of pictures of rust... Lets not go there!

Saw your thread at Fiatforum, right? If so well done Sir for resurrecting a badly neglected Bravo.

samih wrote: »
    Saw your thread at Fiatforum, right? If so well done Sir for resurrecting a badly neglected Bravo.

Cheers! Wouldn't be the first one that was revived :D

Yes, I'm m20b25 on FF ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement