Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an old newspaper

• 04-11-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭

guys any idea where i might get a newspaper from a previous date . looking for the whole newspaper . just trying to bring together some memoribilia from the 13th of october 2010, the day my niece was born, think its agreat thing to have when looking back, tried irish times website but they only sell the front page and do not keep the actual paper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

dekbhoy wrote: »
    guys any idea where i might get a newspaper from a previous date . looking for the whole newspaper . just trying to bring together some memoribilia from the 13th of october 2010, the day my niece was born, think its agreat thing to have when looking back, tried irish times website but they only sell the front page and do not keep the actual paper

I'm going to make a huge leap of imagination and suggest... a library?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

DeLorean...........88mph........you know the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Contact the newspaper. Bit late now, but you could also have gone into some barbers and asked if they still had any old papers about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

DeLorean...........88mph........you know the rest
    do NOT forget the flux capacitor

also thats my birthday!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

You can get back issues of most papers I think, you just have to cotact the main office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

put an appeal out to any newspaper hoarders out there, they would definitely have one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

You should have pressed pause on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Find a shop that went out of business on that date and hasn't cleared out any of their stock yet or one that was abandoned in some sort of Marie Celeste type scenario but in shop-form.

They should have copies of every paper from that date still left in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Try the offices of the other papers. Someone somewhere are bound to keep a decent archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

Old people always collect newspapers so maybe you could seduce one and change her will, then kill her and inherit the paper in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

Am sure there is a company in dublin that have a "day you were born" package that contains the newspaper and a cd with the chart topper on the day all gift warped. PM me on tuesday and I'll get you a number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

have tried ringing office of one of the main papers but they only sell the front page , dont do whole newspapers ....... have got one paper off a fellow boardsie.... so thank you for that. Will try ringing independent today but reckon STORY will be the same ..... (see what i done there!!!!!!)

THANKS GUYS......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Will try ringing independent today but reckon STORY will be the same ..... (see what i done there!!!!!!)

Turned Caps Lock on and then off again? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Turned Caps Lock on and then off again? :)
    or held shift......

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

have tried ringing office of one of the main papers but they only sell the front page , dont do whole newspapers ....... have got one paper off a fellow boardsie.... so thank you for that. Will try ringing independent today but reckon STORY will be the same ..... (see what i done there!!!!!!)

THANKS GUYS......

seriously, have you never seen the micro fiche machine in a library; stores old newspapers going wayback - Irish Times for one. They had one in the library when I was in university
    AFAIC you can print off pages too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I'd say put an appeal out to all your mates....surely there's someone out there who doesn't do the recycling EVERY week?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Your local library should be able to get a hardcopy of any edition of a national newspaper that's been published in the last six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If you're in Dublin, you can call into The Irish Times and buy a copy going back a few weeks. Best to ring them first and find out.

EDIT - http://www.irishtimes.com/about/contact/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

less than ten seconds on a google search.

https://www.memorablemoments.ie/product_info.php?products_id=6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There's a newsagent that stocks old papers, on Dun Laoghaire's Main Street opposite Walshes Carpets (Mellifont Ave).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I would try and email the paper themselves. I guess they would keep a few copies off the press for themselves. Maybe a neighbour or friend has one lying around their house?

Saadyst wrote: »

120 euro.for one newspaper..... no thanks!

I would try and email the paper themselves. I guess they would keep a few copies off the press for themselves. Maybe a neighbour or friend has one lying around their house?

Friend works in editorial in Irish Times , he says they dont keep copies of previous papers around, they only sell front pages from dates gone by

There's a newsagent that stocks old papers, on Dun Laoghaire's Main Street opposite Walshes Carpets (Mellifont Ave).
    thanks dude will try this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

kiad wrote: »
    Old people always collect newspapers so maybe you could seduce one and change her will, then kill her and inherit the paper in question.
    Just one problem with you're post....They don't always collect newspapers, sometimes it's bags or tea cosies and sometimes the Alzheimer's kicks in and they can miss whole months of collecting time, so major flaw there......just thought you should know.

Advertisement