Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Doormen helping us at all

Options
  • 21-11-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Last friday night after a party i was playing at i headed into town to meet mates. Anyway couldn't find them where they said they were so sent a text and headed over to the club where i supply djs 4 nights a week. Was in chatting away with manager, dj etc and left when my mates got back in touch. Anyway gone for an hour so went back to get my coat because we were heading elsewhere. Got to the door and the bouncer said "we're closed", I said "but ya's dont close for an hour" he then raised his voice and stance and said "i said, we're closed". Now i hate people going on power trips, so i said well actually i supply djs here 4 nights a week including tonight, and i know you're not closed for another hour, and my coats in there so i'm getting that". I was then told "i had nothing to do with the f**king place and i wasn't getting in"

I wasn't drinking and wasn't acting the pup, this guy was clearly on a power trip, even though i'd never seen him before, maybe cos i don't do Fridays. After a bit more talk i was let in to get my coat. But when i saw a decent but not huge crowd it got me thinking. Was this guy talking to a lot of customers like this? Also, while the PR staff are working their nuts off, the bar staff are all into their throwing bottles in the air, cocktail making style and making it entertaining for the customers, i know the DJs we send in are all working hard to make it entertaining, and then you have a mug on the door talking to customers like this.

I know i don't like hitting town because of people like this and i also know they need to have some control, but i don't think there's a need to speak to anyone the way i was spoken too. So while publicans didn't make any friends with high prices during the good aul days, are bouncers getting in the way of the market making any sort of recovery and are the guys where you work, operating with the same attitude?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Hmm, he's not really hurting you unless part of your agreement with the club involves promoting and drawing a large crowd. Then, if I was you, I'd consider bringing that incident up casually with the manager (in case he ever tries to put low numbers on your head...clubs are struggling in general and DJs are always first to get it in the neck, you know yourself).

I wouldn't make a big deal of it, just even saying something like "Is he new? Had trouble getting in to collect my coat last week and I was sober as a judge!" At least that way, it's left there as a footnote for later on if need be.

As for whether they're hurting the market, yes and no. Horrible bouncers can spread horrible word-of-mouth about a place which has a long-term, knock-on effect. But their effect is also over-stated. If one person doesn't get their way, all of a sudden the bouncer is on a power trip and a wanker...it doesn't necessarily make it so (not saying that's the case with you). I work in both security and DJ-ing so have experienced it from both sides.

I don't think it's the first thing clubs should look at in terms of turning things around, but something they should always be mindful of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Some doormen are crap, others are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I agree they are not all the same.

They do form part of a night out. Tbh I've never gone back anywhere where a doorman has caused me hassle. So in the long run it not helping where these rude ones are.

In fact some of them can be such a laugh it becomes part of the night to say hello and have a laugh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Some doormen are crap, others are not.

This. It's the management of the club that chooses the bouncers, so you can tell a lot about a club by what the bouncers are like. The more the management care about their customers' experience, the more consideration they put into the bouncers they choose.

Good doormen can add a lot to a club experience, as they effectively choose the crowd. Berghain is rated the best club in the world, much of which is how selective the bouncers are, so no dickheads get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Good to hear your thoughts on this. I would be of the same opinion. A good door man works really well in a club. MOST People are out for a laugh, a dance, generally let their hair down and some door men get this. And work it to their advantage. On previous ocassions door staff have told us (on a night out) just to take it easy and enjoy the night, and ya think to yourself, sound i will. Others, like said plonker who i'm told is only new, ruins it with his nonsense "i;m in charge" rubbish.

It's a shame because most DJ's who have a gig (that i know anyway) are working a lot harder to keep the darn thing, then you've people like that turning away sober people going in to get a coat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Personally I think it can make or break a club. I'm not going to go to a club with dickhead's on the door when I can go to another club for roughly the same music and for the same price, but with the benefit of sound door staff. Me and a group of friends wont go to 1 club now no matter what's on because it's ridiculously inconsistent door policy, while there's 2 clubs I'll happily go to because I know from experience the door staff are sound and are out to please customers instead of act the macho príck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

RMD wrote: »
    Personally I think it can make or break a club. I'm not going to go to a club with dickhead's on the door when I can go to another club for roughly the same music and for the same price, but with the benefit of sound door staff. Me and a group of friends wont go to 1 club now no matter what's on because it's ridiculously inconsistent door policy, while there's 2 clubs I'll happily go to because I know from experience the door staff are sound and are out to please customers instead of act the macho príck.

Name and shame the clubs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

on the subject of good 'door people', I'd have to give a thumbs up to the folks at the Twisted Pepper. Always professional and friendly, resulting in a great hassle free atmosphere when you get in. Maybe it might be different were one to belly up in a shell suit tucked into socks but happy days for the rest of us. Conversely, I met some real arsehole doormen at a venue a few doors up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1 on that. Sound lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Name and shame the clubs tbh.

Tomangoes in Portmarnock. Entrance policy is ridiculous and changes quicker than the wind. Completely agree with poster above, TP is a great spot for sound door staff, and the "venue a few doors up" can be dicks quite easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Tomangoes - are they trying for a name to describe the odd hue somewhere between red and orange that is the skin colour of the average club bound lass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I'm going to use this oppurtunity to bring up something that has puzzled me for a long time.

I have never ever had hassle from doormen in my life. Ever. And as y'all would know I can be a right loud, obnoxious yobbo on occasion.

It might annoy a few of the old-school utopians here, but a selective door policy really makes or breaks a club.
    I've never once seen one bit of hassle (not even an argument) in the Twisted Pepper. And I've been in there countless times when the place was jammed to the gills. drinks were being spilled, but everyone understood it to be an occupational hazard of having a fluid filled container in your hand while 20 people move past you. everyone accidentally bumps into people holding drinks. if you've never done it, you're some sort of ninja.

And it's not just a 'only let in a certain type' situation either, as I think on the night of Rolando, there were a bunch of young lads (think it was around the time leaving cert results came out) in there who would have been the exact types you'd expect to be causing hassle in any other club. they were behaved immaculately, even though half them were seriously drunk.......a good read by the TP bouncers and one that shows just how well they are able to do their job.

let's be honest.....the fact that berghain has a crazy selective door policy and is regarded as the best club in the world is no coincidence.

Advertisement