Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Amps

Options
  • 22-08-2006 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

i am wondering if anyone knows of any web sites that can guide me in the purchasing of a Bass amp. i know nothing about them really and need a kind of "Complete Idiots Guide to how bass amps work and what to look for"

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There are plenty of bassists here who can help if you ask. There is also talkbass.com.

What would you like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

If you could let us know what sort of thing your looking for it would help. What situations are you looking for an amp for, bedroom playing or in a band etc. How much do you have to spend? What type of music do you play? Do you require one with and FX Loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

ok,

well i am looking for an amp that i can use at home in my room but is can be used for gigs. I have read up a bit on the web but i know nothing about stacks or heads or cabinets or any of the terminology or what it all means and how it all goes together.

I suppose if someone could give a general overview of the parts of a bass amp, how they all fit together and what each part of the amp is best suited for and what situation or style of music, that would be great.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gotBass

Ok firstly
    there's the bass combo
    it is one piece of kit and has amplifier and speaker combined (hence combo)

Then there is the option of separate components
    amplifier (AKA head includes a combined preamplifier and poweramplifier)
    speaker cab

Then there is the fancy option of entirely separate parts
    Preamp- to shape the sound of the bass
    Poweramp- to make the signal powerful enough to drive speakers
    Speaker cab- to make the noise

The amplifier and preamp all have common controls
    input gain
    EQ(bass middle and treble)
    Output gain

They may also have some extra features which come in handy
    Mute switch-Good for unplugging or changing instruments
    Effects loop- an alternative to connecting any pedals or whatever directly to the guitar.
    Lineout- Useful for plugging into mixing desks so that you don't have to put a microphone infront of the speaker at a gig.

Gigging and bedroom bashing-how to do both without pi*&ing people off.At Home
    Amps come with volume controls so not really a big deal but for added benefit some amps have headphone jacks so you can deafen yourself only
    ;) if that's what floats yer boat

Gigging or jamming with a drummer and or guitars
    Drum kits don't come with volume controls apart from those new digidrum things so you'll need volume to compete with it.
    there are two ways to do this

1. buy a reasonably big amp- say 100-150 watts with a 15 inch speaker
    (a 25W bass amp with an 8 inch speaker will struggle and possibly expire because it will and up at full volume against a drumkit.)

2. use a p.a. and plug your bass amp Lineout(mentioned previously) into the P.A. using it to make more noise.

Most bass players have a large amp because sometimes P.A. ain't available and also they like to have more control of their sound.
    For example I use a bass amplifier and either 1 or 2 cabs depending on the situation

With all that in mind now you have to consider moving the stuff
    A combo is more portable than a full bass stack obviously, so now everything is a balance of easy to move vs useability.

And finally cost
    Generally speaking the combo is the least expensive option although there are some reasonably priced separates available.

hope this helps
    :cool:

hey gotBass,

that info was extremely helpful. I now have an idea of what to look for! I suppose, as you were saying, its down to preference, cost, portability, etc. I have an old 100W H & H at home in Sligo but it's not very portable as you can imagine.

Any recomondations on brands and what to watch out for when purchasing?

• Advertisement

I've used or am using
    Trace Elliott
    Ampeg SVT
    Peavey
    Ashdown ABM and MAG
    Fender
    Laney
    and I've tried loads more

If I was on a budget,
    Behringer
    Ashdown Mag
    Peavey

If I had a little more
    Ashdown ABM
    Ampeg
    SWR
    Eden

You should check out harmony central for equipment reviews
    I also find it useful to look at BGRA.net

Have you a budget for your setup?
    also
    How much time playing at home vs out with drummers and the rest?
    Oh and lastly have you got transport?

I am playing with a band but where we practise has equipment so thats not too bad but unfortunatley i have no transport so when it comes to gigs i would like whatever equipment i have to be able to fit in a car.

i suppose budget wise i would have €200 - €300 - is this good, bad or indifferent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

That's a pretty low budget tbh.

what kind of price range would be typical for a decent set up? Might as well save and wait to get something proper than skimp and get something crap that wont last the pace.

To give you an idea of whats around your budget as is I've checked thomann

Behringer BX1800 €286
    Behringer BX4500H €222 you'd need a cab can be got for about another €150+
    Fender Rumble 100 €339
    Warwick sweet 15 €339
    Hughes&Kettner BassKick BK100 €359
    Ashdown Five Fifteen €200-€300

personally I'm a fan of separate amp and cab, I have little experience of combos, so best to check the web and groups for reviews of all of th above.
    If you can try any of these out it would help you no end.

If you check out the usual suspects Thomann etc you'll get a better idea.
    For Behringer gear, have a chat with Audiocity. their warranty will be hard to beat.

the adverts.ie site has some stuff at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Ashdown MAG combos get a big thumbs up from me. About €200 out of your range though sailorfoley

Advertisement