Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubes and valves whats the difference if any

Options
  • 20-08-2006 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok somthing thats been bugging me if a guitar amp is tube i know what it means its got nice tubes in em ive seen tubes i dont know how they work but i have a fair idea about tube amps but valves thats the thing i never got what is the story with em a guy i know told me today that they were the same as tubes but i dunno so i ask you all whats the real deal, is there any difference and if so what are they.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Tubes and valves are the same thing, just different terminology.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

My Dad is a big Valve guy, he hates me using the word tubes. Yes, they are the same thing.

Giblet wrote:
    My Dad is a big Valve guy, he hates me using the word tubes. Yes, they are the same thing.

He's just not down with today's lingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

He used to work for Bush and they had this whole valve thingy. I tell him we don't live in 1922 anymore. Then he beats me with a hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

valves is the british name
    tubes is what the yankees say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Valve is a description of the original function, vacuum tube is a loose description of what they are. It probably outlines some interesting difference in the way that Americans and Europeans think. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

'Toobs' as the Americans would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Valves. Call them valves. Giblet, your father's right to beat you with a hose. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I call em Tubes :)

I think we should just compromise and call them Vulbes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

What's to compromise? They're valves. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Jeez, I wish I'd read this thread before taking the poll.
    Or maybe not.
    I'd still be just as confused.

Advertisement