Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valves or tubes

Options
  • 21-08-2006 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I feel this needs a poll.

For some reason.

Are they valves or tubes? 14 votes

Valves (UK)
    0% 0 votes
    Tubes (US)
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Tubes because I think of cars otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

'Tubes' is more specific, since 'valve' is just a device which stops, starts, and regulates flow (in this case electricity). Both tube transistors and solid state transistors qualify as 'valves', whereas 'tube' tells you it's one 'o them glass devices. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

When I think tube I think Smarties, valve FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Rustar wrote:
    'Tubes' is more specific, since 'valve' is just a device which stops, starts, and regulates flow (in this case electricity). Both tube transistors and solid state transistors qualify as 'valves', whereas 'tube' tells you it's one 'o them glass devices. ;)

Transistors are solidstate by definition. You're thinking of solidstate triode vs vacuum tube triode. :) Strictly speaking a valve is something which only allows flow through it in one direction, so really neither triode could be called a valve. The first vacuum tube was the first diode, so it was quite appropriately called a valve at the time. To be fair, silicon diodes were never referred to as valves, so there's not much room for confusion.

You are correct, I meant triodes, not transistors.

However, Americans invented both the vacuum triode and the integrated circuit, so it should go by *our* nomenclature.
    :p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Rustar wrote:
    You are correct, I meant triodes, not transistors.

However, Americans invented both the vacuum triode and the integrated circuit, so it should go by *our* nomenclature.
    :p:p:p

*gasp*

The insult!!!

Valves were invented by John Ambrose Fleming, a brit, and thus their name shall remain forever 'Valves', and will not be dumbed down by the attempts of a nation that spawned 'For Dummies' books!

http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=inventors&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.radio-electronics.com%2Finfo%2Fradio_history%2Fgtnames%2Ffleming.php

Paladin wrote:
    *gasp*
    The insult!!!
    Valves were invented by John Ambrose Fleming, a brit, and thus their name shall remain forever 'Valves', and will not be dumbed down by the attempts of a nation that spawned 'For Dummies' books!

I did not use the word 'valve', I used the word 'triode'.

Here's the actual history:
    First vacuum device: Thomas Edison (American)
    First vacuum diode: John Fleming (Brit, working for Thomas Edison)
    First vacuum grid triode: Lee De Forest (American)

Integrated circuit:
    Idea: Geoffrey Dummer (Brit)
    First design/patent/invention: Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments (American)
    Concurrent design/patent/invention: Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductor (American)

So I am correct in my statement above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

While we're spouting useless trivia, tetrodes and pentodes were invented by the Germans and the Dutch, respectively. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I wouldn't want to be on the other team during a pub quiz.

Bunch of freaks. :p

Paladin wrote:
    a nation that spawned 'For Dummies' books!

Though I would never be caught dead reading one myself, those books have helped millions of people understand subjects that are slightly beyond their grasp. Witness this very recent thread....and no one laughed at the poster.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054980553
    While we're spouting useless trivia

Fie on you, sir! There is no such thing as 'useless' trivia. Everything you know makes you more well-rounded and more useful somehow/somewhere/sometime.
    Good work on the tetrodes and pentodes, btw. :)

....and back on topic, both words are used as shorthand....but folks very often say 'vacuum tube', while I've never heard anyone in real life say 'vacuum valve'. It's just too clunky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Rustar wrote:
    ....and back on topic, both words are used as shorthand....but folks very often say 'vacuum tube', while I've never heard anyone in real life say 'vacuum valve'. It's just too clunky.
    Yeah, just 'valve' is fine...:)

Advertisement