Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

am i leaving myself open to a lawsuit.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

420 wrote: »
    that's the one. i was really hoping that this guy will be fined fir such offence. and yes the did break the law when he supplied alcohol to minor.

on another note some peoples attitudes stink here. so much so i can't stand the smell anymore.
    case closed

At least your question has been answered re legal implications. You have left yourself and your employer open to legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    Really? You can be 100% certain of that?

I did say he 'almost definitely' won't hear from him again but you appear to have missed that in your haste to trip over your own indignation.

I will concede that the OP's attitude may be causing your indignation alright. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

I'm not indignant in the slightest, merely questioning your certainty which you say is based on your experience in the retail industry.

Did you work in loss prevention specifically, or is this just something based on casual observation?

Just asking, as you didn't volunteer any more information than that you were in retail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

that's the one. i was really hoping that this guy will be fined fir such offence. and yes the did break the law when he supplied alcohol to minor.

on another note some peoples attitudes stink here. so much so i can't stand the smell anymore.
    case closed

While the other guy may be guilty if an offence that may result in a fine. You on the other hand are possibly guilty of a number of offences all of which can carry jail time. You have also vicariously got you employer on the hook fora multi thousands payout and legal costs. Being right may have a serious cost for you and employer

For very good reasons the power of arrest even for AGS is very restricted, you drove a huge truck through the other guys rights over a minor indiscretion, would you tackle an old lady to the ground for not using a crossing where provided.

I'm not indignant in the slightest, merely questioning your certainty which you say is based on your experience in the retail industry.

Did you work in loss prevention specifically, or is this just something based on casual observation?

Just asking, as you didn't volunteer any more information than that you were in retail...

There's nothing casual about my observations (since you ask), I'm speaking from personal, first-hand experience which would consist of probably a couple of hundred instances over the last fifteen years in which, for one reason or another, there was some sort of physical contact with a customer outside of the usual and everyday (alas for us both, I never saw fit to log these).

I had legal action threatened in some form in maybe forty or fifty of these incidents. I have never had legal action taken against me in either my personal or professional life. Most, not all I accept but most, people don't follow up on their threats and for that reason I believe that the OP is unlikely to be bothered further by this, regardless of the rights or wrongs of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

yes moral is the key word. gaud forbid anything was to happen to these two young kids. imagine it was your own child. would you thank me or myob?

I don't have kids but I would hate to think that I would be relying on off licence staff to prevent them from buying drink at 15 years old.
    If as it seems it was these girls aim to get their hands on some drink, you can be damn sure they will get it. A slightly older friend etc would often facilitate.
    As a off licence worker, insuring you don't sell directly to underage is as far as you can realistically go. Otherwise where do you draw the line.

There's nothing casual about my observations (since you ask), I'm speaking from personal, first-hand experience which would consist of probably a couple of hundred instances over the last fifteen years

So to answer my question you have nothing other than anecdotal evidence to assure the op that everything will be ok...
    mickdw wrote: »
    Otherwise where do you draw the line.

Well I'll tell you where to draw the line: don't do a Walter Mitty arrest on a member of the public while on your lunchbreak.

So to answer my question you have nothing other than anecdotal evidence to assure the op that everything will be ok...

As opposed to what? A handful of stories you've read about over your lifetime? I'll take personal, first-hand experiences over The Evening Herald myself.

You've provided precious little evidence for your own veiled assertion that the OP is probably hours away from being hauled off to commence a process that will end with crippling fines and a lengthy prison term.

The entire scope of your position seems to be that because there are instances where people in the OP's position face legal censure he's as good as doomed. There's been two instances of this referenced that I saw here. This sort of thing happens literally hundreds of times a day in this country alone and the vast majority of them never get within a hundred miles of a solicitor, let alone a judge. The numbers are on the side of the OP here and you've offered nothing to contradict this that I can see, not even 'anecdotal' evidence. I think you're just enjoying seeing the OP squirm to be honest.

You've provided precious little evidence for your own veiled assertion that the OP is probably hours away from being hauled off to commence a process that will end with crippling fines and a lengthy prison term.

Quit being a drama queen. I disagreed with you and you threw your toys out of the pram. :rolleyes:

Where did I make an assertion, veiled or otherwise, that the op is hours away from being hauled off..etc etc.?

Show me the exact words you are referring to please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

case closed

you remind me of fat sean . sad security guard in xtravision
    wantabe garda

case closed

wantabe garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

OP yes you have left yourself and/or the employer open to legal action. Get some advice through FLAC or something similar. Two things to consider - a 'citizens arrest' can only be made in certain circumstances, chief of which is you must reasonably expect the person to attempt to avoid arrest by the Gardai. The offence must also be an arrestable offence with a possible penalty of five years or more.

I'm afraid this guy seems wise to all of the above and I am guessing this isn't the first time he's done this. That's from 15 years of retail experience rather than my minuscule legal knowledge.

False imprisonment is one potential avenue but there are a number of elements that need to be met and there is wide discretion. False arrest is something I'm not familiar with. Hopefully someone will have more info for you.

While you're intentions were laudable - are you insane! Being sued might have been the least of your worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

figs666 wrote: »
    wantabe garda

You and others like you are the reason petty crime goes unchallenged in this country. Yes the OP got it wrong but calling people sad because they don't want some child to be out of their face on Vodka and get killed/raped/hurt by wandering into traffic shows more about your sad upbringing and poor moral compass than anyone elses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Zambia wrote: »
    I can only think of one reason a grown man would buy alcohol for a tennage girl and it's not good.

Taking a bit of a leap there. It's just teenagers looking for drink.

Every town in Ireland will have teenagers looking to get smokes and drink. I get asked plently of times. If an adult obliges them that's all there is to it.

The guy in the OPs shop wasn't going to hang around with the girls.

Bepolite wrote: »
    You and others like you are the reason petty crime goes unchallenged in this country. Yes the OP got it wrong but calling people sad because they don't want some child to be out of their face on Vodka and get killed/raped/hurt by wandering into traffic shows more about your sad upbringing and poor moral compass than anyone elses.

The "won't somebody think of the children..." line? That's weak.

So we've gone from false imprisonment over a bottle of vodka to hypothetical rapes and murders? That's some serious hyperbole. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

yes moral is the key word. gaud forbid anything was to happen to these two young kids. imagine it was your own child. would you thank me or myob?

I understand you did the right thing, but unless it was someone or an animal been beaten up or something serious, i wouldnt get involved.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The sad thing from all of this is that the OP had the best of intentions and acted ( a little over the top) upon them. The girls were wrong to ask someone to get the drink for them and the man was wrong to get it for them. The sad thing is that the OP has left himself wide open to being sued while nothing will happen to the people who broke the law in the first place.

Had the man not acted in an illegal manner he wouldn't have been detained by the OP, but now the OP could be the only one to pay a price.

Sums up a lot of what's wrong in this country !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Taking a bit of a leap there. It's just teenagers looking for drink.

Every town in Ireland will have teenagers looking to get smokes and drink. I get asked plently of times. If an adult obliges them that's all there is to it.

The guy in the OPs shop wasn't going to hang around with the girls.

Dismissing the behaviour helps no one. I tell my kids there are no such things as monsters. I lie every time I do, they exist.

There is no good reason for this man to do this.

Zambia wrote: »
    Dismissing the behaviour helps no one. I tell my kids there are no such things as monsters. I lie every time I do, they exist.

There is no good reason for this man to do this.

Zambia , you have a sick and twisted mind , I hope 420 doesn't bump into you , he definitely arrest you

figs666 wrote: »
    Zambia , you have a sick and twisted mind , I hope 420 doesn't bump into you , he definitely arrest you

So for what reason is a bloke in his late twenties or thirties is buying drink for these kids?

• Advertisement

Meatballz wrote: »
    Probably paying back for when someone did the same for him when he was 15

Maybe in your late teens and early twenties I would accept that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sad to see OP has closed his account after the barrage he got over something that is in my opinion is the right thing to do.

I doubt the man in the OP was a pedo, probably just someone who got a tenner in pocket to buy drink for kids. "Sure, if I don't do it someone else will, I may as well benefit" attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

biko wrote: »
    I'm sad to see OP has closed his account after the barrage he got over something that is in my opinion is the right thing to do.

I doubt the man in the OP was a pedo, probably just someone who got a tenner in pocket to buy drink for kids. "Sure, if I don't do it someone else will, I may as well benefit" attitude.

And so??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

userod wrote: »
    And so??

That hardly seems to be a good contribution to the thread.

Advertisement