Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Photoshop Comp makes this weekends Irish Times!

Options
  • 26-11-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Article on the back of the Weekender.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/1126/1224308164355.html

they used my pic in the paper edition too!! :pac:

paper:http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3361/it2r.jpg

pic: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74880377&postcount=3897

don't think the Dana one was from here though...
    WHEN RELIVING the great innovations of civilisation, no one is going to strike up Also Sprach Zarathustra for the moment when someone clicked into Photoshop and thought something along the lines of, You know, if I just chop out Capt Picard and put him into this Star Wars cantina scene, I could have myself some fun. But whoever that Archimedes of the clipboard was, they started something big.

Without that person, we would not have had Keith Earls carrying his head, Robbie Keane doing the YMCA, Michael D Higgins in space. You may consider such Photoshopped images to be minor diversions along the information superhighway. They are, in fact, offshoots of the greatest comedy innovation of the 21st century: the mash-up.

There are many benefits to having the vastness of world culture available to you at the push of a button, but the mash-up has become one of the useful natural consequences. Stick two things together: pictures, video, sounds. Ideally, one will be fresh, the other already familiar. A sci-fi reference helps. Doesn’t matter if it’s all a bit clumsy. Then share.

Now more than a decade old, Photoshop fun goes beyond the simple fun of riffing, in picture form, on Michael D Higgins’s jaunty strut, as Broadsheet.ie recently asked people to do, or on Keane’s jazz-hands celebration, as Boards.ie requested for its always entertaining weekly competitions. It offers the chance for simple and democratic subversion.

After a cop was snapped casually pepper-spraying students at the University of California at Davis, he became the subject of thousands of Photoshopped images, a mischievous undercutting of his authority, manhood and arrogance. This won’t have taken the sting out of the eyes of the unfortunate protesters, but it has held that cop up to ridicule in a host of imaginative ways. It’s crowd-sourced satire.

Admittedly, it is often simply about treating popular culture as if it’s a tipped-over bucket of Lego. This week we had Fenton the dog. If you haven’t seen “Jesus Christ in Richmond Park” on YouTube (millions have in recent days) it is a video of a man shouting after his errant sheepdog across the London park. On TV it’s a decent You’ve Been Framed clip; on the web it’s a global plaything.

So there are now Fenton mash-ups featuring Alan Partridge and characters from Alien and An American Werewolf in London, among many, many others. It is the Downfall spoof of the moment. In case you somehow missed that phenomenon, it is the mash-up in which a German film’s subtitles were altered so that Hitler became annoyed at various things going on in the news: Fianna Fáil, Man Utd’s results, whatever. They were sometimes brilliant, very often not, but they went on for some time until everyone became as sick of them as the producers of the film, who really, really hate what the mash-up has done to their creation.

Music mash-ups have, in the main, become tedious because they seldom sound like anything other than two bands falling downstairs together. Besides, most of the true pop classics have been plundered. On the other hand, the web is a constant source of ridiculous and surprising images, so that no one can predict what will pop up and what will go viral. Last year on YouTube, it was the Double Rainbow guy, before that it was Downfall and before that, well, there wasn’t much, because YouTube is still younger than most of the tins in your cupboard.

This is the point in the piece where I am obliged to point out that Shakespeare’s plots were almost entirely taken from other sources, which themselves had taken them from somewhere else, and so on down the line.

All of culture is a mash-up: religion, art, laws, technology, ideas. But right now, little of it is as funny as Robbie Keane’s postgoal celebrations being Photoshopped on to the Village People. That is the result of a special kind of creativity that belongs to a society so advanced it has a lot of time to waste.

Well done flanzer on winning last week and getting a mention here too!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75545468&postcount=6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

awesome! some of those threads are classics :D

some people with some seriously sic skilz there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am bizarrely proud of our little forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I knew those photos would be a good suggestion. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dey stole ur picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

whiskeyman wrote: »
    don't think the Dana one was from here though...

I'll have you know kind Sir, I am the proud creator of the Dana one. Happy Days. That's pretty cool.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74942147&postcount=3918

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Never believe what they say in a newspaper... I only learned how to use The Gimp last week and shopped it after about 6 beers in front of The Late Late!

It is true though, to say I'm advanced* and am very busy all of the time*

*may not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Awesome. Just awesome. I know I haven't been a mod here for a huge amount of time, but this is the best forum on Boards, and it's great to see the creativity/insanity of the users getting recognition like this.

Just brilliant. Thanks to all who keep submitting entries and suggestions for the photoshop comp, and keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'll have you know kind Sir, I am the proud creator of the Dana one. Happy Days. That's pretty cool.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74942147&postcount=3918

Sorry I missed that!
    I looked through the rugby one and didnt realise it was from another week!
    Well done on a great pic!

It really is a super thread. Some of the creative ideas are well into the realm of WTF? which make it even more special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Personally, I feel that whoever it was who started the Photoshop competition in Cool Vids deserve the plaudits. Acclaim too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭What Goes Up...

Personally, I feel that whoever it was who started the Photoshop competition in Cool Vids deserve the plaudits. Acclaim too.

ButWho.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Cool... Now send them an invoice :D

Advertisement