Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2015

Options
  • 14-10-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭

Pre-Christmas timetables are online so thought I'd start a thread. Been following the previous threads for a couple of years but now it's my time :o

I'm listed as Dublin group 6 but there are only timetables up for Dublin Group 1 & 2?

Have people received books yet?

Going to be a long year but best of luck to everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

iMuse wrote: »
    Pre-Christmas timetables are online so thought I'd start a thread. Been following the previous threads for a couple of years but now it's my time :o

I'm listed as Dublin group 6 but there are only timetables up for Dublin Group 1 & 2?

Got serious fear when I seen this thread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Got serious fear when I seen this thread!!!

Well whatever you do, don't read the 2015 Competency Statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

In 5 and a half weeks time I might join this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

TheDoctor wrote: »

I'm presuming you mean that in a bad way, as in failing FAE's.....and not in a good way, as in passing CAP2 repeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Waiting on FAE results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

TheDoctor wrote: »

Same as that! Might as well get aquainted now...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Same as that! Might as well get aquainted now...:(

me too :) all the repeaters here to take over the thread :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Good luck to everyone.

Can I make an appeal early in this thread...

Please do not post information you think might identify you to your employers.

In the past we've been asked to go back and delete posts from users that posted in haste.

Thank you - normal viewing is now restored. Oh, and have I said good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Is anyone having trouble with the attendance app? I was at the lecture yesterday but the app didn't log me in. It just kept saying "trying to determine your location"

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Is anyone having trouble with the attendance app? I was at the lecture yesterday but the app didn't log me in. It just kept saying "trying to determine your location"
    Yea, it wouldn't work for me either. Had to check in through the mobile website!

• Advertisement

Had Auditing Session 1 & 3 over the weekend
    also watched session 2 online.

The online session is intolerable. There is nothing to be gained from watching.
    Not only is the lecturer the most boring man in the World, all he is doing is reading the most boring transcript ever, and referencing to other books, which he proceeds to read.

Not once is there a mention of a real-life example, relativeness to exams, examples etc.

In case you have yet to put yourself through the torture, DO NOT WATCH IT!

Plus it was fairly similiar to Sessions 1 & 3, though they weren't entertaining, they were a whole lot more exciting than the online session!

I think a lot of the online session are very rigid and boring. The lecturers pretty much have to stick to the script and just read the notes. Most of them you're better off just reading through the slides yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 FAEfirsttimer

I think a lot of the online session are very rigid and boring. The lecturers pretty much have to stick to the script and just read the notes. Most of them you're better off just reading through the slides yourself.

Personally, I thought the lectures were ok. If you are going to sacrifice any class attendance this year though I would ensure that you attend the case days. I know people may disagree but personnally I found the case days the most useful as they at least go through the criteria sought from an exam perspective. Having done the classes in Belfast, we were made to attempt the questions on the days and present them to the group (usually around 8 people just lol) but it saved you from melting into the seat and feeling like you are not learning.

Also, if you did not do CAP 2 Audit, I would recommend attending or watching Conor Dolans audit classes. I found him very good at drilling the points home and his class is well worth a listen to.

Like anything, you will hear good and bad points from anything you do, so I am not saying what I think is right, but I found Conor, the Case study days and also the FAE Steps cases were my best source of learning during the year. Well I will soon know if it was the right approach though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭yourhero

iMuse wrote: »

Think Dublin 6(same as me) is for the smaller classes after Xmas.

I'll have minimal study leave so have to get organised immediately. Peer groups seem essential so any ideas as to how to form one for those not with the big4 and may be a little older than most of the students?

As for the Conor Dolan comments...completely agree. Wouldn't have passed Cap2 audit without his revision class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 FAEfirsttimer

yourhero wrote: »
    Think Dublin 6(same as me) is for the smaller classes after Xmas.

I'll have minimal study leave so have to get organised immediately. Peer groups seem essential so any ideas as to how to form one for those not with the big4 and may be a little older than most of the students?

As for the Conor Dolan comments...completely agree. Wouldn't have passed Cap2 audit without his revision class.

I was elevation student for cap 1 and 2 and I agree it is hard to get these peer groups set up especially as all the big 4 tend to stick together.only thing I can sugguest is to just get chatting with people and see what other people's situations are, maybe you can swap numbers and emails. This worked for me, as I was able to get a good size group together to share notes, questions etc with throughout CAP 1, 2 and this year FAE. make sure you go to the case days and especially the black water case as they put people in groups to answer the questions so at least you have a starting point.

If you are stuck for someone to ask questions you can PM and I could help as best as I can. May not be great help, but we shall know how useful I'll be next Friday whether I passed or failed my FAEs :|

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Dont get complacent by passing your cap 2s folks. 48 percent of people this year didnt get through one way or another, myself included. The FAE has never been tougher. Dont think technical, think strategically.

Not sure if people have noticed but the post-christmas timetables are up. I'm in group 6 and several of the lectures don't suit me.

I'm looking to see the other timetables to see if I can attend some of the lectures - I know I need to stick to the workshop I am in but knowing the times of the other lectures would be good. I can't attach anything yet but would appreciate it if someone could DM a timetable (other than group 6).

Happy to share via email if asked.

Also, was in Sean Murray's class yesterday. Am I the only one that thinks he's good? Attendance across 3 rooms was abyssmal.

Not sure if people have noticed but the post-christmas timetables are up. I'm in group 6 and several of the lectures don't suit me.

I'm looking to see the other timetables to see if I can attend some of the lectures - I know I need to stick to the workshop I am in but knowing the times of the other lectures would be good. I can't attach anything yet but would appreciate it if someone could DM a timetable (other than group 6).

Happy to share via email if asked.

Also, was in Sean Murray's class yesterday. Am I the only one that thinks he's good? Attendance across 3 rooms was abyssmal.

Are the post xmas timetables in a general page, or when you log in and select the course and select timetable?
    No sign of Galway post xmas timetable yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

I am in the same boat as you your hero. I have to travel a good distance to get to lectures and some lectures don't suit. Was wondering does any of the other groups would suit better?? Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Switching elective to APM for next year so don't have access to it on the website yet, can anyone share the timetable if they have it? Thanks.

• Advertisement

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    Switching elective to APM for next year so don't have access to it on the website yet, can anyone share the timetable if they have it? Thanks.

Which area?
    Dublin, galway, cork?

Its Dublin timetables I am looking for.

For those asking, if you log into the student centre and look beneath the notices into the course materials you'll find the timetables

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Which area?
    Dublin, galway, cork?

I thought they only had APM lectures in Dublin? They didn't have them in Galway last year anyway. Dublin is what I'm looking for.

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    I thought they only had APM lectures in Dublin? They didn't have them in Galway last year anyway. Dublin is what I'm looking for.

With the mass exodus from Audit -> APM in the last few weeks after 2014 results, there is a strong possibility APM is going to be ran in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

With the mass exodus from Audit -> APM in the last few weeks after 2014 results, there is a strong possibility APM is going to be ran in Galway

I could imagine the pass rates in apm plummeting and audit going up this year.

m1ck007 wrote: »
    I could imagine the pass rates in apm plummeting and audit going up this year.

I'm banking on it - sticking with the Audit elective myself.

Does anyone know what is required to sign off on Audits once the Audit elective is passed?
    Is it just a matter of doing more time rather than more exams?

I suspect the pass rate will fall but only because of the people switching for the wrong reasons. If there was an actual bell curve I doubt there would be such a disparity between APM pass results and the other 2. The results are a factor of the students undertaking them.

If its the weaker students (relatively speaking - don't take offence) that move from tax/audit to APM then i'd agree that the pass rates will increase for tax/audit and decrease. That's just how averaging works.

The point that the institute made around the fact that its slightly older students working in industry that take APM is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I suspect the pass rate will fall but only because of the people switching for the wrong reasons. If there was an actual bell curve I doubt there would be such a disparity between APM pass results and the other 2. The results are a factor of the students undertaking them.

If its the weaker students (relatively speaking - don't take offence) that move from tax/audit to APM then i'd agree that the pass rates will increase for tax/audit and decrease. That's just how averaging works.

The point that the institute made around the fact that its slightly older students working in industry that take APM is very important.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you, and I'm surprised you have bought into the institute's cop-out.

The truth is, the audit is a far harder exam than APM. Take a look at the auditing standards book, the notes, the text books; the sheer volume alone indicates the extent of material to be covered. This is not to mention the interpretation that is needed to relate these standards and material to a case study. In an auditing exam, you are expected to think as a manager (even though you're not, you're probably a trainee 2/3/4), and decipher audit problems in half an hour that would probably transpire over a few weeks in a normal audit!

APM is more straightforward; advise companies on business issues that, being honest, you could probably advise on without having studied anything. "What does the company need to think of when outsourcing a division to another country?" Hmmm, I'd say I could think of at least 5 reasons off the top of my head as well as another few that are contained in the case.

It's an utter lie to insinuate that every person doing APM is "older" or has better attendance. We are taking about 800-900 people doing these electives, do you really think they are all mature students or frequent class goers? Naivety is a word that is coming to mind here - no offence. We all came from same background: college, cap 1/2, etc, we aren't of that much difference!

I do think the audit rate will increase next year. Why - because it has bottomed out, it can't get any lower. Vice versa with APM.

I find it hard to believe that people like yourself don't seem to realise that the institute are controlling pass rates. They made an example of us in 2014 because of the class attendance rates. I am willing to put a thousand euro bet on with anyone who will take it, come next November 20th, the pass rates will be back up again and in the board report you will see a modestly written sentence stating, "the standard of papers this year was much better which seems to correlate with the higher attendance rates in class and consequently the higher pass rates".

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nothin but the Truth

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you, and I'm surprised you have bought into the institute's cop-out.

The truth is, the audit is a far harder exam than APM. Take a look at the auditing standards book, the notes, the text books; the sheer volume alone indicates the extent of material to be covered. This is not to mention the interpretation that is needed to relate these standards and material to a case study. In an auditing exam, you are expected to think as a manager (even though you're not, you're probably a trainee 2/3/4), and decipher audit problems in half an hour that would probably transpire over a few weeks in a normal audit!

APM is more straightforward; advise companies on business issues that, being honest, you could probably advise on without having studied anything. "What does the company need to think of when outsourcing a division to another country?" Hmmm, I'd say I could think of at least 5 reasons off the top of my head as well as another few that are contained in the case.

It's an utter lie to insinuate that every person doing APM is "older" or has better attendance. We are taking about 800-900 people doing these electives, do you really think they are all mature students or frequent class goers? Naivety is a word that is coming to mind here - no offence. We all came from same background: college, cap 1/2, etc, we aren't of that much difference!

I do think the audit rate will increase next year. Why - because it has bottomed out, it can't get any lower. Vice versa with APM.

I find it hard to believe that people like yourself don't seem to realise that the institute are controlling pass rates. They made an example of us in 2014 because of the class attendance rates. I am willing to put a thousand euro bet on with anyone who will take it, come next November 20th, the pass rates will be back up again and in the board report you will see a modestly written sentence stating, "the standard of papers this year was much better which seems to correlate with the higher attendance rates in class and consequently the higher pass rates".

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the pass rate for the core will go down next year, without any doubt. Chartered aren't messing around anymore, proven by this years results. I have been told by many in Chartered that they are not goin to drop their standards anymore, they will try to reduce borderline cases and it will be either u deserve to pass or u deserve to fail. I was lucky to pass PM this year with a yellow (2Cs) out of 5 I reckon. Chartered dnt want this happening anymore which is evidenced by the new format this year. I see this year as the first time Chartered have got their layout right. FR and Strategy playin a central role and mgmt acc being a stand alone topic (expect 3 indicators this year by the way). I dnt want to frighten people but this a proper test this year, no scrapin by on FR and Strategy. If u dnt know these two areas in great detail u will not pass, simple as that. This is an especially tough year for repeaters as the same amount of work which would of got u a pass this year will not get u a pass next year. FR and mgmt acc need to be at a higher level than last year which means extra work needs to be put in during busy season. Best of luck to all, get a good road map early on and put the extra work in on FR, mgmt acc and strategy before study leave. Then cases, cases and more cases for the first 7/8 weeks of ur 12 weeks (big 4 people) and then re-assess after that. If any1 needs any advice just give me a shout

• Advertisement

In the Cork core timetable there are some lectures scheduled during the week in late March/early April - are we supposed to take these days out if our 7 weeks study leave or are we entitled to these days on top of the 7 weeks?

Advertisement