Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting time for carer's allowance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

Well i should hope you hear very soon after all the hassle you have had shame on them for putting you tru all this ... Seems to me nobody gives a damn about the hard work a carer does... Surely some changes have to be made and legislation changed to ensure this mess gets sorted before it gets any worse ... I was told a month ago it was only matter weeks before i hear anything and i rang again today and was told very same thing .... Im almost 35 weeks waiting now and i know its not as long as yourself and many people are waiting i can only imagine how frustrating it must be!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

Linda dub wrote: »
    Well i should hope you hear very soon after all the hassle you have had shame on them for putting you tru all this ... Seems to me nobody gives a damn about the hard work a carer does... Surely some changes have to be made and legislation changed to ensure this mess gets sorted before it gets any worse ... I was told a month ago it was only matter weeks before i hear anything and i rang again today and was told very same thing .... Im almost 35 weeks waiting now and i know its not as long as yourself and many people are waiting i can only imagine how frustrating it must be!

Hi Linda Dub
    From reading back on this forum it seems to me that the waiting time for a decision is nearly a year. That is just beyond ridiculous. Even if they had a system in place where someone looked at your application and said whether or not you would get the CA. If you knew that you had been approved then you wouldn't mind the long wait for it to be processed. But of course these things only happen in an ideal world and certainly not within our Social Welfare System. I myself got the decision within a few weeks but its the appeal that has held it up so my situation slightly different. It is still a long waiting game for everyone.

Frustrating :(:(:(:(:(

Yes id love to know how like yourself the decision to refuse you was made in couple weeks yet others wait months and still refused. im begin to tink just depends on who opens application form!!!!! Only i rang months ago it prob wouldve went unoticed that my mothers medical was shredded by mistake and they would be only discovering it at this late stage meaning another reason for delay ....at this stage im giving up watching post its not go happen anytime soon by looks things ... Hopefully When they told you two more weeks they meant it ..i sincerly hope you get good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lubinkator

I am considering to organize protest in front of their offices.it is disgraceful how people are treated.they say they have not enough staff or money to hire new ones.but they do have hundreds of millions for banks who wasted money doing wrong decisions.i am sick of this.we re people like them not a group of animals

Lubinkator wrote: »
    I am considering to oganize protest in front of their offices.it is disgraceful how people are treated.they say they have not enough staff or money to hire new ones.but they do have hundreds of millions for banks who wasted money doing wrong decisions.i am sick of this.we re people like them not a group of animals

I could not agree with you more. The only thing is most people couldn't protest because after all this is one social welfare payment that people actually work for. And being a carer is usually not a 39 hour week but a lot more. How hard can it be to open an application see if it fulfills the criteria and make a decision. Its really not rocket science !!!!!!! People are so sick of this crap system we call social welfare. As you said the banks got millions of a bail out and its out of our pockets. Again i think if we all printed the posts here and send them to the minister of social welfare Joan Burton or even send an e-mail to her office with theses posts attached. I m sure they would get sick of the constant letters and e-mails and maybe someone might even listen. yeah right wishful thinking

:(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭IrishMumOf1

Last I heard they were working on August or Sept, has anyone called this week or last week?

It helps knowing where you are in the queue!

All the personal stories I read on this thread shock me to the core.

Yes I called last week said work on beginning aug but really dont think any the wiser because said the same about three weeks ago....at this stage i actually dont think THEY know when their work on !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

I know a lady who's nearly a year waiting on carers allowance too.. Its ridiculous so it is!!

Also the One Parent Family review is taking months also!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ray Lights

Hi folks,
    I, like everyone else on this forum have gone through the long process of applying for carers allowance. My story is pretty much like everyone else, waited, turned down, appealed, waited, waited, waited...... drifted into debt... waited, more forms to fill, waited..... 15 months later got approved!!!!
    I just got my first payment last week along with a letter saying I would get payments back dated. Just out of interest, does anyone know how long this payment takes to come through?
    The letter stated ' shortly after ' , but with the history of the department in question, time runs at a different pace to reality.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Kind regards,
    Ray

Hi my sister was waiting just two weeks for her back Money saying that as you said could be different .. Glad to hear you got carers always good to hear something positive on this forum although the wait must been nitemare

• Advertisement

Thanks Linda,
    It is week two and no sign of it, but as you said, it differs for everyone. Thanks for the info. I am coming to the belief that those waiting to get carers allowance should use the motto "MAYBE NEXT WEEK"
    I found it difficult to get any information, bar from keeping a watch on this forum which I found very helpful. I just moved this week to a new place with mum, but once I get settled I am thinking of making a carers website where people can get all the information they need without having to spend days if not weeks or months searching for it.
    I have very little experience in web design, only made one :o for a festival I volunteered for ( something to keep my mind active ), but if anyone here is interested let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

Ray Lights wrote: »
    Thanks Linda,
    It is week two and no sign of it, but as you said, it differs for everyone. Thanks for the info. I am coming to the belief that those waiting to get carers allowance should use the motto "MAYBE NEXT WEEK"
    I found it difficult to get any information, bar from keeping a watch on this forum which I found very helpful. I just moved this week to a new place with mum, but once I get settled I am thinking of making a carers website where people can get all the information they need without having to spend days if not weeks or months searching for it.
    I have very little experience in web design, only made one :o for a festival I volunteered for ( something to keep my mind active ), but if anyone here is interested let me know.

Ray it took a week for me to get the money
    And two weeks for the restbit money but only because the the bank shut down my account and I had to set up a new one

Hope this helps

jamescc wrote: »
    Ray it took a week for me to get the money
    And two weeks for the restbit money but only because the the bank shut down my account and I had to set up a new one

Hope this helps

Thanks James,
    Hopefully I should have in next week if that is the case. I have received two payments already, so I know the money is coming through. I doubt the back payment will be large. I had to sign on when I started to care for mum full time, so I am guessing I will get the balance between old benefit and the carers allowance.
    It is great that their are a lot of helpful people here, thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.
    Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Katy12

I am a new poster here and have read all through the thread over the past few days. I want to wish everyone who is struggling all the best; I can see that some of you have very difficult situations to deal with and it doesn't help when it feels as though those who can help (financially) don't seem to be too bothered. I don't suppose it's all their fault either.

I applied for carer's allowance at the beginning of April. I am 70 and my husband is nearly 74. He has suffered from heart disease for 20 years and prostate cancer for 3. I have never applied for this benefit before because I didn't feel we had really got to that stage but time moves on and he has lost power in his legs due to radiotherapy and has had some falls. I have come to realise that this is not going to improve, in other words he now needs to be looked after.

After reading the thread I don't know how hopeful I am about getting the allowance but we will see!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 th23

anyone know what month they are dealing with now:confused::confused::confused:

Hi katy12 nice to hear from you though not in these circumstances . I was wondering are you talking april 2012 or 2011? If its this year then i sincerly hope you are not too long waiting .. Rumour has it a new system should come into play as soon as last years backlog is cleared but you know yourself these thing are never straightfoward!!!! I really have to admire you looking after your husband as my folks are same age as yourself and your husband and my mother in particular cannot do anything never mind look after my dad. I really hope fact your age circumstances etc will mean you dont have that long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ladyjebus

Hi,
    I`m new here,but Ive been reading these posts the past few weeks.
    My husband has been on disability allowance for a year.I applied for carers allowance September last year.
    I got a letter this morning,I didnt get it. They told me it was because the chief medical officer felt that he didnt need a carer.
    He`s on disability allowance,his doctor even said that he thought I`d definitely get it.
    I`m really surprised.It looks like most people that got it though had to appeal.
    With me though,the letter said if I want I can send more information and the officer. It was said that I was refused on the grounds that the chief medical officer thought he doesn't need a carer.So it didn't even get to the carers officer,is that normal?? It said that if then the officer refused me,I could THEN appeal.
    So,I`m gong to send more info,and a letter describing why their decision was wrong.
    I need to get what I can off of his gp,even though I thought the carers office would have access to all of that information.They did with the disability allowance.And his doctor said both were given under the same criteria,whats going on?
    This is weird,any one else have this same experience??
    Sorry for the long post btw ;/

Hi Ladyjebus

Get as much information and as detailed information that you can. Get copies of any appointments hospital or doctors and you could even try getting a letter from your local priest stating that full time care is needed. Keep copies of everything you send and I would even send it by registered post if necessary. Send all of this back to the deciding officer before you go down the road of the Appeals Office because believe me that is a longer road to go down.

Best of luck :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Katy12

Hi Linda, I mean April 2012. I did hope that perhaps our ages would help my claim but as I said, after reading through the posts I am not so sure. Someone told me years ago to apply for this allowance but I never felt it right. It isn't that we don't have enough money for daily living, we do, but more that I have had to start paying for help to do things that need doing as my husband isn't able to do much and to be honest I don't always have the energy. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Quick update on my own appeal... :(:(

Rang the appeals office again last Thurs week and was told that my file is now with the Chief Appeals Officer. Rang today and was told that my case was closed on the computer but my file was still with two appeals officers and that if I could just be patient a little longer I would hear something. ( the girl on the phone could not have been nicer) My patience has long run out as this is ongoing since July 2010. Anyway, in the event that they may refuse me again I also wrote to the Freedom of Information Officer asking for copies of all my files to date so that I will have them ready to send to the ombudsman.

Heres hoping I don't have to go down that road :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Im fit to be tied here ... 4 weeks ago i submitted a letter frm my husbands hospital stating he cannot work at least nxt six weeks along with a letter stating the situation... The officer said dat was all Needed and hear decision in four weeks . Its now four weeks rang just now to be told dat they are waiting on Confirmation from Me if my husband is ont the btwea or disability allownce ... I explained once again that we were advised he stay on btwea until all test result are in ... Carers are now say they need to know which one he be on so delay now till all results in .... Taking into consideration i am entitled to carers based on medicals regardless of either sw paymnt recieved ... I got quite upset on fone and tried to explain how desperate my situation has become.. The reply to dat was the decide officer will mke decision on wot info he has and decison be out me nxt couple weeks ... Its obviously i will be turned down as all info nt in ...i cannot belive this is still going on even tho last things i sent in was sposed be all dats needed and my parents medicals were done ... I am very upset n annoyed n feel like telling
    thm to keep the bloody thing cos hassle nt worth it... Im too tired to argue any more at this stage 

Linda dub wrote: »
    Im fit to be tied here ... 4 weeks ago i submitted a letter frm my husbands hospital stating he cannot work at least nxt six weeks along with a letter stating the situation... The officer said dat was all Needed and hear decision in four weeks . Its now four weeks rang just now to be told dat they are waiting on Confirmation from Me if my husband is ont the btwea or disability allownce ... I explained once again that we were advised he stay on btwea until all test result are in ... Carers are now say they need to know which one he be on so delay now till all results in .... Taking into consideration i am entitled to carers based on medicals regardless of either sw paymnt recieved ... I got quite upset on fone and tried to explain how desperate my situation has become.. The reply to dat was the decide officer will mke decision on wot info he has and decison be out me nxt couple weeks ... Its obviously i will be turned down as all info nt in ...i cannot belive this is still going on even tho last things i sent in was sposed be all dats needed and my parents medicals were done ... I am very upset n annoyed n feel like telling
    thm to keep the bloody thing cos hassle nt worth it... Im too tired to argue any more at this stage 

Everyone on here has been through this we are all on your side it took me almost two years.
    But don't go give them the satisfaction of giving up after all this length of Time
    Chin up

Best of luck

James

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

just spoke with some in CA section. They are currently working on August 2011.....

Im bit calmer now i should not be letting it get to me bt have had lousy few weeks and that just topped it off.... Its the fact one person tells you one thing and another one completly contradicts it !!! Obviously lack of communication is a major problem... I was asked ehen did i think my husband will be fit to return to work as i said hes awaiting biopsy results how in gods name can we put a time frame on these things .... Begin think you have to be a psychic i was suppised to know that they were looking for more information without them telling me ..... Anyhow thanks for support 

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Hi all,
    I am new to all this - a relative of mine is a full time carer and I helped her with the application recently. I have some questions

1. the patient has Alzheimer's and has good weeks and bad weeks. If they are called for an interview, it might be on a good week when he is as sharp as a pencil and not on the week where he can't remember his own name or if he has eaten or not - do they take this into account?

2. We sent the application 3 weeks ago by registered post but have heard nothing back - do they acknowledge receipt of applications?

Thank you

mick kk wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am new to all this - a relative of mine is a full time carer and I helped her with the application recently. I have some questions

1. the patient has Alzheimer's and has good weeks and bad weeks. If they are called for an interview, it might be on a good week when he is as sharp as a pencil and not on the week where he can't remember his own name or if he has eaten or not - do they take this into account?

2. We sent the application 3 weeks ago by registered post but have heard nothing back - do they acknowledge receipt of applications?

Thank you

Hi Mick

As far as I know they wont be called for an interview if the medical section of the application satisfies the criteria for Carer's Allowance. Of course this medical seems to me to vary from person to person.
    As for receipt of applications, the normal time seems to be six week before an application is even acknowledged.
    Try ringing them with the PPS no (this will be your reference no.) and ask that they have received your application as you sent it by registered post and you would like to know.

By the way, Best of luck with the application

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

My application is coming up to around 14/15 weeks now and I have heard nothing back.They have received it because I rang them.Does anyone know at what point does someone in the Dept open my application or is it left sitting on a desk with another pile of applications for another 14 weeks or so.New system or no new system surely this can not be the case.Do they send you anything during this 30 week wait is what I'm asking.Is there any point in ringing them.

Rang the carers place today I found our that the respite is being paid out on the week commencing the 7th of June

I had no correspondance frm thm at all
    Till i rang after 14 weeks they thn cnfirmed reciept of my appplication .. Wont actually
    Look at application til has to be scannd onto their computer... Then paperwork is shredded n all Details held on computer.. Thats what they told me back then ... Next time application looked at was when dealing with Month was sent in... Thats all
    I was told .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Thanks Linda,I am really pissed off waiting and have not waited any way near the time you all have.I would love to know how many people work in this section.At the moment the back log stands at 7600.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement