Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polo V's Clio

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a car. I've narrowed my searches down to two cars: Polo And clio. both around the 98-99 mark and 1L. The trouble i'm having is I like both cars because they're great starters. It's my first car (don't like driving the mammy wagon). The trouble i'm having is which works out better?
      fuel economy reliability handling

Any comments appreciated. I have 4 cars lined up on mind on carzone.ie and i'll be checking them out over the next few days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I occasionaly drive a 1.0 99 seat ibiza(more or less the same as the polo).Its been very reliable and it goes around corners alright but its far from sporty.The fuel economy is excellent though, circa 50mpg overall.My only complaint is that its never in a hurry.Overtaking requires a bit of planning and a long straight road.Its also worth mentioning that my car after 80k miles is still very durable.Not a single rattle.I presume the polo would share all these attributes.As for the clio, it would be a bit faster but it would be nowhere near as reliable. Probably a bit more character through the corners as well but personally i dont think thats very important in a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I bought a clio new in 2000 so it'd be the same model your looking at. It was my first car and took a LOT of abuse. Still going strong as my mothers car and never given a minutes trouble. Nothings needed doing outside of normal maintenance (this was neglected in the first few years of its life too). It was light years ahead of the 99 micra my gf had at the time, not least of which included comfort.

My experience of the polo is limited to having a polo classic (saloon) as a grage loaner for a few days one time. Thats crapbox is in a slass of it's own and I wouldnt tarnish the standard polo which I'm sure is a grand car with the same brush. It had no redeeming features.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Clio is the best built Renault of the late 90's, early 00's IMHO. would rather one to a Polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I occasionaly drive a 1.0 99 seat ibiza(more or less the same as the polo).Its been very reliable and it goes around corners alright but its far from sporty.The fuel economy is excellent though, circa 50mpg overall.My only complaint is that its never in a hurry.Overtaking requires a bit of planning and a long straight road.Its also worth mentioning that my car after 80k miles is still very durable.Not a single rattle.I presume the polo would share all these attributes.As for the clio, it would be a bit faster but it would be nowhere near as reliable. Probably a bit more character through the corners as well but personally i dont think thats very important in a small car.

thanks for the feed back. I'm not looking at sporty, as you said its not needed, I just need something that wont roll over or lose control too easily.
    You answered a question i forgot to mention: overtaking. I'm used to big litre cars so it would be a noticeable difference.

So looks like i'm opting towards a polo....

.. still more feedback the better

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Zonda999 wrote: »

I know the feeling as a Ibiza owner over taking in i 1litre is nearly impossible all 50Horses Screaming still its my first car! Very Fuel efficent! Since its pretty much the same mechanically as a ibiza id go for the Polo

• Advertisement

@colm mcm and stekelly, Sorry guys didn't see your post there...
    so now i'm mixed again don't know which to buy still! they're both priced equally. Would it help if i posted the links for the 4 cars??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I bought a clio 1.2l last year. Have to say it's a comfy car. I've had no problems with it so far, however the electrics can be slightly dodgy (had to replace the speedo sensor). I generally get about 50mpg, less on the motorway. The polo is probably a better built car but the clio definatly has the better looks.

EDIT: Overtaking is a bit of a mixed bag. Unfortunatly it's a 1.2 and its always going to be lacking power at speed. Great car to take off at the lights however ;)

stepbar wrote: »
    I bought a clio 1.2l last year. Have to say it's a comfy car. I've had no problems with it so far, however the electrics can be slightly dodgy (had to replace the speedo sensor). I generally get about 50mpg, less on the motorway. The polo is probably a better built car but the clio definatly has the better looks.

I'll be spending a lot of time on motor ways and country road so high end rev's is going to punish the economy on them. I've sat in both cars and i must admit that the clio is more comfortable than the polo. But the polo is a lighter car so might make up for this in fuel economy or am i mad to be counting cents in the difference??

I know the feeling as a Ibiza owner over taking in i 1litre is nearly impossible all 50Horses Screaming still its my first car! Very Fuel efficent! Since its pretty much the same mechanically as a ibiza id go for the Polo

Not being able to overtake really drives me mad.Its just so slow to rev.Downshift to third is your only optionThat said the fuel economy is excellent because its so hard to drive quickly.Btw overtaking is'nt that hard if you're going downhill:D:DUphill??Forget it:rolleyes::rolleyes:

congo_90 wrote: »
    I'll be spending a lot of time on motor ways and country road so high end rev's is going to punish the economy on them. I've sat in both cars and i must admit that the clio is more comfortable than the polo. But the polo is a lighter car so might make up for this in fuel economy or am i mad to be counting cents in the difference??

The difference in engine from 1.0 in the polo t 1.2 in the clio will more than likely make up for any weight difference anyway, I wouldnt be concerned with 1 or 2 mpg eitrher way,

• Advertisement

i'm assuming both cars have 5 gears?? also another thing: i know clios have that lift thing on the gear stick for reverse, does the polo?
    this is going to be the hardest thing. Going from 1.5 and 3.2 litre cars to 1.0 its not so much over taking but at things like busy junctions where a quick take off means the difference between getting home or 20mins extra sitting there. I've been driving a friends peougot 205. they're comfortable but sooo slow my fart would produce more power lol.

You're mad to be going for a small car so!! TBH I'll be getting rid of mine once I have the loan paid off and getting a diesel with more poke. I like to put the boot down on the motorway but am being crucified on the fuel economy.

I know it's your first car.... but maybe you should look at a 1.4l at least?

i'm assuming both cars have 5 gears?? also another thing: i know clios have that lift thing on the gear stick for reverse, does the polo?
    this is going to be the hardest thing. Going from 1.5 and 3.2 litre cars to 1.0 its not so much over taking but at things like busy junctions where a quick take off means the difference between getting home or 20mins extra sitting there. I've been driving a friends peougot 205. they're comfortable but sooo slow my fart would produce more power lol.

Yep both would be 5 speed.In the polo you push down to go into reverse

Polo has a push-down reverse if I remember rightly, and it's trickier than the Clio. Polo gearboxes can get fairly difficult with age, and clutches can be heavy. the Polo is also unlikely to have power steering.

I know it's your first car.... but maybe you should look at a 1.4l at least?
    I'm 18 with one year no claims... I don't want to fork out half my wages on insurance alone.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Polo has a push-down reverse if I remember rightly, and it's trickier than the Clio. Polo gearboxes can get fairly difficult with age, and clutches can be heavy. the Polo is also unlikely to have power steering.

I don't mind if it doesn't have power steering. It would be nice to have it though.

Do not buy a car without power steering. that's just silly!

i just checked... the polo i'm buying has power steering. Is there anything mechanical i should check? like timing belts etc. When i say check i mean, ask the owner has it been changed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will get more car for your money with the Clio. Things like electric windows, remote central locking, remote stereo controls, cd player, comfy velour seats, etc, Generally Polo owners can only dream of these things.

Could make all the difference when your spending alot of time in the car. 1.2 litre would be more relaxing on long drives too than a 1.0 litre

**EDIT**
    the trouble is price.. my budget is pretty tight. talking 2,500 max I don't want a car run into the ground already, i plan to do it myself lol.
    A lot of polos come cheap while clios tend to be just out of my reach. If i came across a nice one i might push the budget up a tad..

I'm spending no more than 5,000 (including insurance, tax and car) so the cheaper the car the better. (within reason)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do not buy a car without power steering. that's just silly!
    I drove a friend's polo of around that age without power steering - it was an absolute pig to drive - the steering was so heavy. I'm surprised she didn't have arms like Popeye from parking it. Very poorly equipped car. My sister has a micra with no ps, but the steering is far lighter.

My wife had a 99 Clio, and it was a great car and pretty well specced. It was nippy enough, and a pleasant enough drive. The one problem I had was that the layout doesn't seem to suit a driver who has the seat far back - I don't know if the gearstick is quite far forward or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

i was actually planning to ring the owner of the green clio tomorrow lol good call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I had a 1.4l 4-door Polo with power steering a while back and I wish I never sold it. Great car. My then girlfriend had a 1.0l 2-door Polo without power steering and it was a pig to drive,- very heavy, and a bit more sluggish. The extra bit of engine capacity and the power steering made a huge difference.

VW's still hold their value far better than any other car. They're solid, well built, reliable, easy to get parts for and easy to get repaired if you ever need to.

And they're not French.

Have you guessed?... I'd go with the Polo. :)

Bard wrote: »
    My then girlfriend had a 1.0l 2-door Polo without power steering and it was a pig to drive,- very heavy, and a bit more sluggish. The extra bit of engine capacity and the power steering made a huge difference.

VW's still hold their value far better than any other car. They're solid, well built, reliable, easy to get parts for and easy to get repaired if you ever need to.

And they're not French.

The extra engine capacity is great when your not 18 and one year named driver experience... the idea is small engine= small insurance for a year or two. If i had things my way i'd be buying 1.4, 1.6litre cars and enjoying them.

So if it's a pig to drive so far its now onto the clio again..
    And they're not French.

I know they're not french. Again ideally i'd love something japenese nice big litre but insurance will ride me up the A$$ for it.
    so off to the stupid germans..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

And they're not French.

I think you're giving VW a bit too much credit there - they are not the bullet proof make that people think they are. You are correct though, they are not French.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i have been driving a 98 polo for the last 2+1/2 years. its is my first car.

mechanically - 2 faults

clutch cable snapped - cost to fix €120

water pump leaked - cost to fix €70

i drove the car for approx 2500miles with a dodgy water pump just filling up the radiator.

the car has been in one crash - 100km per hour into a ditch on way back from cork. damage to front passenger wing and bumper - cost to fix €250

serviced it every 5000miles. only other thing that needed replacing was spark plugs and spark plug leads - cost €80

on average mixed motorway / city driving - 480miles for €40

this is a no power steering model. very basic inside.

its a 1.0 ltr model

cant really fault the polos to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The extra engine capacity is great when your not 18 and one year named driver experience... the idea is small engine= small insurance for a year or two. If i had things my way i'd be buying 1.4, 1.6litre cars and enjoying them.
    Have you actually tried getting insurance quotes for a 1.4 Polo and similar sized cars with larger engines? You may find there's little to no difference in the premium. This was certainly true in my case comparing quotes (was 21 at the time) for the 1.25 (75bhp DOHC) and 1.3 (60bhp OHV) Fiesta - there was no difference in insurance from Quinn anyway.

I certainly wouldn't recommend any 1.0 for motorway driving, especially the one in the Polo which is particularly lame.

Have you considered the Ford Fiesta? It was praised for its handling when the Mark IV came out in '95 (in direct competition to the same gen Polo you're looking at), and the 1.25 engine should be more than able for motorways. I wouldn't recommend the 1.3 though - I have one, and it's grand for driving around town but it's a bit noisy at high speeds, fuel economy is crap and like the 1 litres it's a real challenge overtaking. The 1.25's from around then will say "16V" or "Zetec" on the boot (and if unsure you can just check the tax disc).
    I know they're not french. Again ideally i'd love something japenese nice big litre but insurance will ride me up the A$$ for it.
    so off to the stupid germans..
    There's not much of a selection from the Japanese around '98-'99 - the Starlet is not a very nice or safe car compared to the European competition from around then (despite the decent engine), the Mazda 121 was just a rebadged Fiesta from the same plant in Dagenham, and the Suzuki Swift was pretty ancient by then.

PS the Polo is built in Spain :)

The Clio's can a bit noicy at high speed. I know because I tend to boot it down the motorway ;)

TBH I'd check out quinn direct and get a few different quotes. As someone said there is probably feck all difference between a quote for a 1.2 and a 1.4 for some makes and models.

The Clio's can a bit noicy at high speed. I know because I tend to boot it down the motorway ;) .

Any car in that class is going to noisier on motorways than a larger car. It's the nature of the beast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

We were in the exact same situation a week ago, went for the Clio and we are definitely happy with the choice. No power steering but you can't even notice the difference, at least I can't...

Clio was cheaper, a newer year, in a lot better running order, (and they ran the NCT before selling to us so we were sure)

But from a 1.9 diesel to a 1.2 petrol engine is the only thing I dislike :( though she accelerates nicely for a 1.2.

Advertisement