Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warranty on Engine & Gear Box

Options
  • 01-04-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I recently purchased an Audi A4 2002 which was covered with a 3 month engine and gear box warranty. Since the first day I have had ongoing problems from a cracked front fog light which when buying the car I was told would be fixed in a few days and would take 5 minutes to fit. The few days turned into 3 and a half weeks and 20 calls later. I got one key and was told if I wanted a spare it would cost approx. E80.00 minimum.

I then had a warning to say the car needed to be serviced which the garage promised was already done so they just reset the onboard computer to say it was done.

Then when I had the car for 2 and a half months the car was making a high pitched screech and when I went back to the garage they squirted oil around the engine and said that should do the "job" when I called them back to say it had gotten worse I was told sorry but we have to charge you regardless of the warranty. A friend said it could be the fan belt needs tightening but a garage has to do the work.

Can anyone please tell me if it is the fan belt would be covered by the warranty.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

fan belt wouldn't be covered by warrenty as its a servicable part as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is no high pitched sound that should need oiling in the engine bay. This sounds very dodgy. Fan belt would not be a major issue but not covered under warranty.
    Also I would advise that you get your second key if you have not already done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

draffodx wrote: »
    fan belt wouldn't be covered by warrenty as its a servicable part as far as i know
    Definitally not covered just like wear and tear on a set of tyres. It may only need tensioning which is a 5 minute job. The only comeback you wouold haver on him is if he said it was serviced with new belts. Re other problems there is not much you can do if you do not have them in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DubPsycho

Thanks for the speedy replies guess ill have to fork out the cash (just not to them)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DubPsycho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The alternator is most definitely part of the engine, and should be covered by any warranty. They are chancing their arm...

Put every detail down in writing & dated, even let them know that you have records of all the goings on back and forth!

If they won't fix the alternator, get it fixed and take them to the small claims court. Having every thing in writing will help.

Advertisement