Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Translation please :)

• 21-10-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

I want to say the following:

I hope to propose to my girlfriend on saturday at the beach. We are together five years and her name is lisa. I am nervous.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

"Lisa, will you marry me?" would be "An bposfaidh tú mé, a Lisa?".

You could also go with "Ar mhaith leat a bheith curtha le mo mhuintir?" but I wouldn't recommend it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hate to ask the obvious but does she speak Irish?

A lot of Irish people consider Gaeilge a dead language. So it may not have the impact you expect.

Nice idea though.

If there's a ring and a bended knee, it will probably be clear enough. I doubt she will respond with a diatribe on the ignominy of being proposed to in a dead language. Anyway, I speak a bit of Irish and I'm alive last time I checked!

If there's a ring and a bended knee, it will probably be clear enough. I doubt she will respond with a diatribe on the ignominy of being proposed to in a dead language. Anyway, I speak a bit of Irish and I'm alive last time I checked!

Are you a language or a person?? :rolleyes:

Would you ever stop. My kids whinge less.

I wasn't looking to start a debate on whether or not Irish is a dead language.

However if she has no interest or any idea of what he's saying that'll create a great memory of the actual event. He got down on one knee and babbled off some phrase he got off some randomer who's touchy about the non use of gaeilge on an internet forum.

Good luck op. Perhaps throw ina few more common phrases if Irish isn't her chosen language. is breá liom tú. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

If you want to say what you posted word for word (which I think you might):

Tá súil agam ceiliúr pósta a chur ar mo leannán ag an trá dé Sathairn seo chugainn. Tá muid le chéile ar feadh cúig bliana. Lisa is ainm di. Táim neirbhíseach!

My Irish is rusty, but that's the gist of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Hi iwillhtfu,

If she or her family are from Munster, you can also say:
    An bpósfair me, a Lisa, a stór/shearc?

Just in case, but manwithaplan's is probably safer!:D

"A stór" is a term of endearment. "A shearc" is basically "my lover"

Good luck! Go n-éirí an t-ádh leat a mhic!

Relax!

He asked a question - I answered it. I assume he knows what he's doing. You introduced the red herring of Irish being a dead language. You appear to have imagined some scenario where he is a hapless foreigner who believes the girl he has been with for five years loves and speaks Irish when in fact she harbours a deep resentment for the language due to having Peig beaten into her for years or something. Give him some credit!

I'm perfectly calm thanks.

As for "your" scenario it has yet to be proven otherwise.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod: I'm pretty sure the OP isn't looking for a translation of the proposal. It sounds more like a few sentences about his intentions, to be told to somebody else. There's no need for any silly arguments about it. Thanks.

Advertisement