Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.6 Cabriolet choices/opinions

Options
  • 03-04-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

OK, looking at 3 cars at the moment and just wondering if anyone has any opinions.

Ford Focus cabrio 1.6L
    Opel Astra twintop 1.6L
    Renault Megane cabrio 1.6L

Not really interested in soft tops, hence only hard-tops and ideally something under a 2L engine. Ruled out the VW Eos as heard from a VW mechanic that he's seen lots of them come back with recurring problems.

Won't be buying brand new, either a 08 demo or 1 year old model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

how about the MX-5 roadster with the folding tin top ? A new one would be in the region of €32K don't know the price of the 2nd hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Of that bunch I personally think the lines of the Astra Twintop look the best with the roof up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

my mates wife is selling her '04 206cc black with black leather in the next few weeks if you're interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Not interested in an mx5 or 206, looking for something with 4 seats and a decent enough boot when the top is up (big enough to fit golf clubs anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

what kind of budget are you sticking to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Focus is awkward looking, and the Megane is a bit old now. I'd pick the Astra in this case.

T J Hooker wrote: »
    what kind of budget are you sticking to?

30k ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

OK, looking at 3 cars at the moment and just wondering if anyone has any opinions.

Ford Focus cabrio 1.6L
    Opel Astra twintop 1.6L
    Renault Megane cabrio 1.6L

Not really interested in soft tops, hence only hard-tops and ideally something under a 2L engine. Ruled out the VW Eos as heard from a VW mechanic that he's seen lots of them come back with recurring problems.

Won't be buying brand new, either a 08 demo or 1 year old model.

OK this isn't particularly decent advice, however I have to say those three cabrio's are miserable looking cars, the cabrio element screams "trying to tart up a bread and butter car". Personally I'd drop a few years and get something decent.

..feel free to take with a grain of salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

From a,looks point the Renault is the clear winner follwed by the Astra then Focus. However if you take age into consideration the list works exactly the opposite way !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

have you considered a 03 Audi A4 1.8T? Not sure if they're hard top but they're really nice.
    Same story with a 318 BMW

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    have you considered a 03 Audi A4 1.8T? Not sure if they're hard top but they're really nice.
    Same story with a 318 BMW

Audis are only soft top and they're just impractical as too easy to break into (it'll be parked in underground car park and a neighbours soft top got cut open with a stanley knife a few months back).

I don't want a BMW as there's so many of them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Do be warned that these cars are NOT fast. they are very heavy so they wont be the most economical either.Then again, i suppose they put such small engines in these cars are for people who dont want a fast car.If i was to pick one from the three you mentioned, i'd take the astra.If they have the newer 112 bhp 1.6 as opposed to the 99hp unit, it might not be too bad.
    You know, it might not cost that much more to upgrade to a slighter bigger engined car.This is just about within budget and would be much better than the 1.6. Nice alloys as well.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Astra/1.8-TT/961986/

Get the astra if you want the best of the 3 you mentioned, Renault is a bit outdated and the focus is dearer than the astra and about to be facelifted

Advertisement