Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Accord Diesel Problems...

• 21-10-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭

I own a 2004 Honda accord 2.2 Diesel, just had the turbo changed and now have to do the timing chain, injectors, VSA module and manifold...personally i think honda should cover the cost of the VSA module as its a fault THEY made with it...its a safety feature in the car which should work properly! Was at honda they sent away a claim to honda for the timing chain, injectors and the manifold but not for the module which costs around €1400, i was told that there was talk of them extending the warrenty and to hold on for a while...

Any advice or help anybody has would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

cant offer any advice but only an observation, wasnt this the first honda diesel engine? i know its a cracking unit but maybe they hadnt the experience or refinement as say a toyota or a vw, in that regard i certainly would feel you should be entitled to some sort of a goodwill gesture towards the repairs,just my feeling on it. good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I do believe that in general Honda are being pretty good about contributing on the chain/injector problem even on cars well out of warranty, but they do insist (especially on UK imports) that there is a full Honda Service history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Gazza09

Well the car has 4 honda service's and two from a mazda garage from the person that owned the car before me....from here on in tho i'll be puting honda services on it as I have done with my previous cars. thanks for the replys...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Gazz, did you create a new account just to give out about your honda?

Aren't honda engines supposed to be 'bullet proof' - as honda owners keep reminding me :rolleyes: ?

pajo1981 wrote: »
    Gazz, did you create a new account just to give out about your honda?

Aren't honda engines supposed to be 'bullet proof' - as honda owners keep reminding me :rolleyes: ?

Petrol ones are, no such thing as a bullet proof modern diesel really, too much to go wrong. I'd take a direct injection, non DMF, non DPF diesel over a modern one anyday unless I had thousands stashed away for maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd take a direct injection, non DMF, non DPF diesel over a modern one anyday unless I had thousands stashed away for maintenance.

+1

I'd say it is a good indication that Honda totally redesigned its diesel engine for 2009...
    I recommend for the OP (and every Honda diesel owner)the get a new fanbelt as well.It has been modified by Honda and upon fitting the belt one of the pulleys needs to be left out (the new belt is shorter to compensate this).
    The old setup is tend to be too tight and puts extreme tension on the alternator pulley.
    This tension can wear out the freewheel pulley and the front bearing inside the alternator.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Topdeck

Petrol ones are, no such thing as a bullet proof modern diesel really, too much to go wrong. I'd take a direct injection, non DMF, non DPF diesel over a modern one anyday unless I had thousands stashed away for maintenance.
    I agree.I have an 03 petrol accord with 108,000 miles that never gives any trouble.would love to get a more economical diesel car but would probably work out more expensive to run keeping up with the maintenence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Topdeck wrote: »
    I agree.I have an 03 petrol accord with 108,000 miles that never gives any trouble.would love to get a more economical diesel car but would probably work out more expensive to run keeping up with the maintenence.

I dont know about that. The Accord diesel rarely gives issues. A lot of the diesel issues seem to be Audi or VW related from what I can see.

I dont know about that. The Accord diesel rarely gives issues. A lot of the diesel issues seem to be Audi or VW related from what I can see.

Early ones are not troublefree compared to their petrol siblings. Don't forget about Fords and any other crowd who have a DMF for diesel issues, the DMF will leave many families without a summer holiday in the coming years me thinks. Bit of an unexpected surprise for folk when they get a bill of over a grand for a clutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The Accord diesel rarely gives issues

Have you noticed the title of this thread? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Early ones are not troublefree compared to their petrol siblings. Don't forget about Fords and any other crowd who have a DMF for diesel issues, the DMF will leave many families without a summer holiday in the coming years me thinks. Bit of an unexpected surprise for folk when they get a bill of over a grand for a clutch.

sorry, I'm green to all of this, what's a DMF?

Dual Mass Flywheel.

To make a rattly diesel smoother, the flywheel is in two bits with rubber in between, to dampen vibration.

Only the rubber bits perish and disintegrate around 100,000 miles, and a replaceemnt costs €2500, or some mad number like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭bladespin

A grand??? That's incredibly steep don't you think, had one done for €400 in the not so distant past.

Dual mass flywheel.

TBH I see no difference in the maintenance costs for one fuel type over another, serviceing costs are very similar, repairs are the same, for every horror story (either side) there's 10, 'never gave any trouble' testimonials.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Dual Mass Flywheel.

To make a rattly diesel smoother, the flywheel is in two bits with rubber in between, to dampen vibration.

Only the rubber bits perish and disintegrate around 100,000 miles, and a replaceemnt costs €2500, or some mad number like that.

ah I see. very clever on behalf of the manufacturers, keep the engine nice and quiet whilst ensuring future revenue from replacement DMF - do they just replace the rubber or the entire wheel?

OK, so that's DMF added to my list of things to watch out for in diesels, the other TLA (three letter acronym:)) being DPF.
    I'm thinking of buying my first diesel but the more I hear about these things I may stick with petrol...who knows!

Yes. I can read. I'm merely saying that it's unusual for the Accord diesel to give issues.

bladespin wrote: »
    A grand??? That's incredibly steep don't you think, had one done for €400 in the not so distant past.

What did you get done for €400 ? Also what make and model car was it for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The petrol Accord seems to be reliable but the Civic hatch has been doing badly in reliability statistics for a few years i.e. since the current model was introduced. The Jazz also has a patchy performance in the ADAC breakdown statistics and as few/no Jazzs are diesel, it can't fall back on the diesel excuse.

Then when you look at Honda's warranty - used to be one of the best around but a 3 year/100k kms warranty is nothing to shout about these days.

Anyone who pays a premium for a newish Honda because they think all Hondas are bulletproof is a bit misguided. In general I've found Honda owners tend to be smug but uninformed types who like to waffle about the "superior engineering" of their cars while looking down their noses at otehr marques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Bit of an unexpected surprise for folk when they get a bill of over a grand for a clutch.

€400??
    The clutch kit alone for my Mondeo was over €900..................

What did you get done for €400 ? Also what make and model car was it for ?
    €400??
    The clutch kit alone for my Mondeo was over €900..................

Ford Mondeo TDCI, friend in the UK done it.

BTW (not sure of these guys) but Ebay

Ford Mondeo TDCI, friend in the UK done it.

BTW (not sure of these guys) but Ebay

400 sterling of parts and labour will come to a grand at least ;)

• Advertisement

400 sterling of parts and labour will come to a grand at least ;)

€400, parts included, labour was free (did it himself).

Edit, he may have gotten a good deal as he was also buying a water pump, starter motor, belts new brake disks etc, done the complete job, that's why I bought it off him lol. He went off to buy a Mazda 6 diesel, I tried to warn him, at least he can fix it himself.

€400, parts included, labour was free (did it himself).

Edit, he may have gotten a good deal as he was also buying a water pump, starter motor, belts new brake disks etc, done the complete job, that's why I bought it off him lol. He went off to buy a Mazda 6 diesel, I tried to warn him, at least he can fix it himself.

Sweet Jesus, you post a link to parts to the value of £400 and then mention that the labour was free as he did it himself. For Joe Soap wandering into a garage they will be charged €1000+.

Sweet Jesus, you post a link to parts to the value of £400 and then mention that the labour was free as he did it himself. For Joe Soap wandering into a garage they will be charged €1000+.

Ya. Labour cost me €300 for a total clutch replacement bill of €1200.

A neighbour of mine got the same job done and it cost him €1600. But AFAIK he went through Ford.

Also, have met another lad at work since, who paid €1500 for his Mondeo clutch replacement.

My car was a 02 reg and the other guys both 03 regs.

Sorry James but I only posted the link for an example, it wasn't where the parts in my car came from (that I know of). €600 to fit a clutch is TD type money IMO. I was usprised at the cost quoted, hence my reply, I was only asking if that was steep, maybe not but I've never heard of a DMF costing that much, I'm familiar with Mondeo, Alfa and VW. ( But I also wouldn't know too many who would go to a Main dealer for the work either). I've seen €650 supplied and fitted for an Isuzu trooper also (former company car, second hand part).

I've seen €650 supplied and fitted for an Isuzu trooper also (former company car, second hand part).

Yes, you can save money buying second hand parts, doing the work yourself if you're a mechanic and so on, but the actual cost of paying a garage to fit a new clutch with DMF is going to be €1000+.

Yes, you can save money buying second hand parts, doing the work yourself if you're a mechanic and so on, but the actual cost of paying a garage to fit a new clutch with DMF is going to be €1000+.

Not nesessarily, as stated, a new clutch for about €480 and the mechanics time after that, €520 would sound quite steep.

Again as I stated originally I don't see how that's so much more that getting the clutch replaced in a petrol car.

All in all, ye're making me feel quite smug about the deal I got (had no idea it was that good lol.) from what you're saying I got the rest of the car pretty much for free he he.

Again as I stated originally I don't see how that's so much more that getting the clutch replaced in a petrol car.

they don't have DMFs ;)

Am I right in saying that it's rare for a DMF issue with the Accord? Seems to be mostly VAG?

they don't have DMFs ;)

No but a clutch replacement is quite expensive all the same. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Am I right in saying that it's rare for a DMF issue with the Accord? Seems to be mostly VAG?

DMFs are an issue with any modern diesel, though VAG(unsurprisingly) are more prone to DMF failure than others.

On any large sized car, the cure for this problem is called an automatic gearbox;)!

I had DMF failure on a 6 month old 2005 Mondeo with only 20 odd K km on it, company car, even at that the garage said it was quite common. I really do feel genuinely sorry for folks who have bought a Mondeo, Octavia, Passat etc as a frugal family car who may well face humongous unexpected bills for DMF, DPFs etc. One or two issues wouldn't be long wiping out years of the cash saved on diesel v petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

A years? Two or three for a lot of the people buying them. My dad does tiny mileage and I made him buy a petrol...

One or two issues wouldn't be long wiping out years of the cash saved on diesel v petrol.
    EPM wrote: »
    A years? Two or three for a lot of the people buying them. My dad does tiny mileage and I made him buy a petrol...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Topdeck

I dont think gazza09 would agree with you. He has alot of issues with his accord.

Topdeck wrote: »
    I dont think gazza09 would agree with you. He has alot of issues with his accord.

Agreed but it seems to be a Monday morning one:)

• Advertisement

they don't have DMFs ;)

off

I drive a 2001 Mondeo 1.8 petrol and it has a DMF...

on

Back on topic:
    Most Honda 2.2 diesel problems are down to not using the proper engine oil.
    It MUST be the best quality 0w30 fully synth (we strictly use Honda's own oil,it is cheaper than the Castrol Edge...)
    I have this conversation every week with private garages/car owners who drop in for the filters,but they look at you like "Yeah,whatever..." when I mention the oil.I just don't care anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

gibbon75 wrote: »
    I have this conversation every week with private garages/car owners who drop in for the filters,but they look at you like "Yeah,whatever..." when I mention the oil.I just don't care anymore...
    This is so common -people happy to pay out a wad of cash to have a nice new diesel sitting in the drive and too mean to pay for anything but the minimum for tyres and oil. Another reason I wouldn't buy a second hand diesel unless I was 100% sure it had been serviced correctly...

I had DMF failure on a 6 month old 2005 Mondeo with only 20 odd K km on it, company car, even at that the garage said it was quite common. I really do feel genuinely sorry for folks who have bought a Mondeo, Octavia, Passat etc as a frugal family car who may well face humongous unexpected bills for DMF, DPFs etc. One or two issues wouldn't be long wiping out years of the cash saved on diesel v petrol.

Has this issue been addressed in the new Mondeo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Has this issue been addressed in the new Mondeo?

The current model Mondeo can suffer from DMF failure, but is no more prone to it than any other diesel.

I always thought the current Mondeo used the Ford designed 2.0 TDCi but it appears that it actually uses the PSA designed engine, so that means the current model won't suffer from injector failure like the Mk3 did.

Anyway I agree with the sentiment that the OP has a 'Monday morning' Accord, these cars, like every other Honda, are impeccably built usually, indeed in the latest What Car? used car reliability survey Honda came first. I wouldn't buy an Accord because of the sheer dullness of it(and every other modern Honda) and the price(way too expensive for what you're getting) but there is no denying that these cars are the closest thing to old Mercs in terms of the vault like build quality and durability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 michael m

My wife is complaining of diesel fumes in my HONDA diesel 2.2 I-CTDI sport, so i dropped into my local dealer, apparently it is a fault where the manifold has a hair line crack which caused fumes to leak into the passanger compartment.
    The will cover this cost of €500 under warranty up to 125000 miles or 7 years. unfortunately i am over this, :mad:

The dealer them told me about the timing chain problem which can cause major damage=major cost.

Question - what do i do as im told my car is worth 5k? trade in for a new model 2008 up as tax would be €300? or stick it out?

Any advice would be appreciated:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Gazza09

michael m wrote: »
    My wife is complaining of diesel fumes in my HONDA diesel 2.2 I-CTDI sport, so i dropped into my local dealer, apparently it is a fault where the manifold has a hair line crack which caused fumes to leak into the passanger compartment.
    The will cover this cost of €500 under warranty up to 125000 miles or 7 years. unfortunately i am over this, :mad:

The dealer them told me about the timing chain problem which can cause major damage=major cost.

Question - what do i do as im told my car is worth 5k? trade in for a new model 2008 up as tax would be €300? or stick it out?

Yeah if I were you id defo upgrade if I had the cash to...if the timing chain goes from what ive been told it could cost up on €3000, so in the long run with cheaper tax and a lesser chance of the timing chain failing id upgrade!

michael m wrote: »

Michael,

Is your car's chain rattly or noisy? Was your Accord serviced regularly with the proper oil?
    If the above applies to you,then I wouldn't be worried.
    Worst comes to worst,the parts would cost you somewhere between 500-600 (not including the injectors) and it isn't a rocket science to install it(I mean it doesn't have to be fitted by a main dealer).
    Regarding the manifold: just buy the new modified kit (comes with gaskets,studs etc.) and any average mechanic can fit it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

gibbon75 wrote: »
    Michael,

Is your car's chain rattly or noisy? Was your Accord serviced regularly with the proper oil?
    If the above applies to you,then I wouldn't be worried.
    Worst comes to worst,the parts would cost you somewhere between 500-600 (not including the injectors) and it isn't a rocket science to install it(I mean it doesn't have to be fitted by a main dealer).
    Regarding the manifold: just buy the new modified kit (comes with gaskets,studs etc.) and any average mechanic can fit it for you.

Fair play to you gibbon75. If the car has been serviced with the right oil then no need to worry about the chain.

And nice to know about the modified manifold.

Hard to understand how people don't read the manual and use good oil.

I always use the best 0w-30 as specified for my accord and correct Pump Duse oil for our ford Galaxy Auto and change the gearbox oil on the Galaxy every time I service it. Cheap insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,724 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I really do feel genuinely sorry for folks who have bought a Mondeo, Octavia, Passat etc as a frugal family car who may well face humongous unexpected bills for DMF, DPFs etc. One or two issues wouldn't be long wiping out years of the cash saved on diesel v petrol.

Post of the month. I wish there was some way to let people know. And the problem is only going to get a lot worse soon as the massive change to buying diesel cars since the July 2008 motor tax change is going to cough up cars with problems now-ish :(

Neighbour just spent €2,500 on his 2007 Korean car just outside warranty for a DMF, a timing belt and a service. Ridiculous money to spend on a nearly new basic sh1tbox :mad:

Fair play to you gibbon75. If the car has been serviced with the right oil then no need to worry about the chain.

Unfortunately we have come across a few Accords with rattly chain,even though those were serviced properly with the right oil (hence the extended warranty on the chain by Honda).
    But as I said the chain didn't just snap like that without any warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 6tti

Hey Gazza
    How is it going

I was also thinking of buying a 04 model accord
    Just wondering if you have managed to get all the problems sorted
    Would you recommend one ?
    Many thanks Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The auld lady has a 08 2.2 i-CTDI sport accord that hasn't given a peep of trouble in the 18 months and 50,000km she's owned it, so not ALL of them are trouble makers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Bazzo wrote: »
    The auld lady has a 08 2.2 i-CTDI sport accord that hasn't given a peep of trouble in the 18 months and 50,000km she's owned it, so not ALL of them are trouble makers. :p

18 month old cars tend not to.

6tti wrote: »
    Would you recommend one ?

Well I'd certainly recommend one. Mine is trouble free and it's a 2006. I do find that the foot rest and clutch are a bit too close together though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I didn't say it was 18 months old, just that she'd had it for 18 months. ;)

Anyways after thinking about it she's only had it a little over a year, the person before her had it for a little under, and also did v. high mileage.

Still no problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement