Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VeronaFC academy - under 8 team

Options
  • 02-10-2014 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My son goes every Saturday to Verona FC Academy, in Coolmine.
    I've found that the number of players is small so is a risk that they cannot form a proper team of lets say 12 players.

Any idea how to get more children and/or parents to join that team !?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

My son goes every Saturday to Verona FC Academy, in Coolmine.
    I've found that the number of players is small so is a risk that they cannot form a proper team of lets say 12 players.

Any idea how to get more children and/or parents to join that team !?

Thanks in advance

It's very difficult at this moment to resolve that situation.

Most aspiring players will have already found a club, while existing players will be unable to move after the transfer deadline for schoolboys is October 15th.

I myself am involved in Corduff football club. Our approach to that issue was something we dealt with years ago. We formed a nursery for 4, 5 and 6 year olds. They are coached weekly until they reach the age at which a team is formed and so we have a massive number of kids to bring through. This season we have two teams with 13 players each at under 8 and have graded them to the A and B team where they'll be regraded every few months to help them come long.

Basically there wouldn't be a hand full of players at that age looking for a team as there are quote a number of clubs in D15 who would have probably signed them up in August.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm involved in Castleknock Celtic, and it's the exact same way there. Kids will be going to the academy from a young age, and then continue playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Hi,

I have a 7 year old boy - he started GAA a few years back but didn't like the hurling part of it. He wants to join a football club - but is he too old at this stage? From reading above, he probably is.

Hi,

I have a 7 year old boy - he started GAA a few years back but didn't like the hurling part of it. He wants to join a football club - but is he too old at this stage? From reading above, he probably is.

Hi,

It depends on the club. The youngest age an actual team can play against other clubs in league arranged games is under 8, for kids born 2007 this season. It is only week 1 of October, so not it's not too late for your lad, but do consider how new to football he might be and use that to maybe find a team that's suitable to him. You may find this hard to believe at such a young age, but even in our own club, our A and B teams would have players who are of different levels of ability as most kids are born with natural balance, agility and pace, not to mention dribbling abilities. Other kids learn it over time.

Next season (September 2015), under 8s will be for kids born 2008.

Our nursery currently has kids born 2008, 09 and 2010 so you see we are preparing them well in advance of their team coming on stream.

Corduff FC have two under 8 teams since August, but other clubs don't do this until under 9's - it depends on the club.

I'm not sure if cost is a factor to you, but if it is, you need to consider very carefully what different clubs charge and what's contained in that charge. The prices and fees differ substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Hi,

It depends on the club. The youngest age an actual team can play against other clubs in league arranged games is under 8, for kids born 2007 this season.

Next season (September 2015), under 8s will be for kids born 2008.

Our nursery currently has kids born 2008, 09 and 2010 so you see we are preparing them well in advance of their team coming on stream.

Corduff FC have two under 8 teams since August, but other clubs don't do this until under 9's - it depends on the club.

I'm not sure if cost is a factor to you, but if it is, you need to consider very carefully what different clubs charge and what's contained in that charge. The prices and fees differ substantially.
    Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated - I might ring around. I think some of his friends are in Mochtas fc so might check that one out. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated - I might ring around. I think some of his friends are in Mochtas fc so might check that one out. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi All,

We are going full steam ahead with a strong team of about 10 constant players that are coming up for training. Some of them are good, while others are getting the hang of it...
    Difficult choices ahead as which one to keep and which one to send it back to Academy for further training.
    Also, is nice to see kids enjoying the game while the trainers are trying to get the things done right.

Hopefully we will go in January in to one of those leagues for the appropriate age(s) :)

Now, next question is... as I guess here are some people involved in the game, how do we setup few friendly matches, on a sunny Saturday maybe, on a pitch at home or away !?

Thanks.

rolion wrote: »
    Hi All,

We are going full steam ahead with a strong team of about 10 constant players that are coming up for training. Some of them are good, while others are getting the hang of it...
    Difficult choices ahead as which one to keep and which one to send it back to Academy for further training.
    Also, is nice to see kids enjoying the game while the trainers are trying to get the things done right.

Hopefully we will go in January in to one of those leagues for the appropriate age(s) :)

Now, next question is... as I guess here are some people involved in the game, how do we setup few friendly matches, on a sunny Saturday maybe, on a pitch at home or away !?

Thanks.

Good news, well done.

To be honest, your club will know the full details of all particulars, but highly unlikely you can enter a team in to a league in January as the season runs from August until may.

Your club secretary needs to do all of that for you.

Well done again.

Advertisement