Working during first/second year GEM - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-03-2012, 18:00   #16
Wings2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredcity View Post
If you are planning on going to RCSI and already have a competitive GAMSAT score then maybe do a little reading on physiology (borrow Guyton and Hall from a library) and watch Acland's anatomy dvds (that's the most memorisation heavy -and thus time intensive - subject in first year) over studying organic chemistry! I think we saw perhaps twenty slides with organic chemistry structures throughout all of first year and none of it was examinable. There's been nothing at all in second year. It's obviously important for GAMSAT but once you've surmounted that hurdle it won't be troubling you again! They do expect you to understand some basic chemistry but a slight grasp of physiology and anatomy will stand you in much, much better stead so you won't being stuck whispering "WTF is the femoral triangle?!" on the first day with your cadaver. Don't worry about being non-sci; you'll be amazed how much science you learn in no time though it might seem like everyone's speaking Urdu at the beginning.

Hello tiredcity,

Thank you very much for your advice on the science and for the link to Biologic's post on RCSI GEP1, definitely a bit scary but very informative! I'm doing the GAMSAT again this month to see can I improve the score a wee bit incase the cut-offs jump this year...just hoping and praying that the drop in the RCSI cut-off to 60 last year wasn't a once off. I noticed how quiet the GAMSAT/GEM pages on Boards have been this year - hopefully a sign that less people are trying to get into a GEM programme this year. As soon as I have the GAMSAT over with, I'm definitely guna follow your advice and focus more on Guyton and Hall, Acland anatomy etc. I'm very relieved to hear that organic chemistry isn't a terrifying part of Year 1 GEM that I thought it would be! Thank you again.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-03-2012, 23:04   #17
tiredcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings2010 View Post
Hello tiredcity,
I'm very relieved to hear that organic chemistry isn't a terrifying part of Year 1 GEM that I thought it would be! Thank you again.
No prob at all, best of luck to all of you sitting it soon!

Last post - don't want to be dragging this off topic any longer but to be fair they do structure the course so that you can come in with absolutely minimal science and cover all the major bits... the only problem is the rate at which they do it! One thing to keep in mind, which we didn't fully appreciate last year and used to have panic meltdowns over, is that if it's important (i.e. heart, lungs, kidneys) you will be doing it over and over and over again until you can recognise a MI, PE and ARF in your sleep. Biochemistry - for example - can be very useful to understanding the mechanism and treatment of disease but tbh, once you've done it once, other things usually take precedence. Try your best to understand it as you're going through cause it'll stand you in good stead but don't despair if it doesn't awaken some latent love for the subject. Invest in a white board for learning pathways and drawing out bits of anatomy to avoid annihilating half a rainforest by Christmas. You'll be grand
07-03-2012, 11:11   #18
stoolan

8-10 hours is definitely do-able. I'm doing 18hours at weekends at the moment- I'm in GEM 1 and it's fine. It just means you've to put your head down during the week. Granted, it's not ideal as sometimes I could do with a break from work/study, but I'm sure it will be worth it in three years time when my loan is a fraction of what it would be if I didn't work. Graduate medicine isn't as time consuming as people think- most people in my class in UCD have hobbies that they've kept up, and pretty active social lives, and are getting by without any problems.
Thanks from:
12-03-2012, 22:15   #19
Wings2010

Thank you for sharing your experiences of GEM and the advice tiredcity and stoolan...it's so relieving to know that the science isn't a massive challenge for non-science students and that holding down a job for a few hours at weekends can be done! Good luck everyone on Saturday week!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion